Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

Just now, StinkyBunny said:

Gonna fill it with Fiji leathers Friday, then maricultured Montiporas next Sunday.

Those are going to look sweet in a shallow tank!

• Like 2

Gonna be kinda full with 24-25 leather corals and then 24 maricultured Montiporas. I'm going to use it as a sales tank. Picked it up for $100, missed another for $50 by 20 minutes.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Gonna be kinda full with 24-25 leather corals and then 24 maricultured Montiporas. I'm going to use it as a sales tank. Picked it up for $100, missed another for $50 by 20 minutes.

Post a picture when it's set up! It's amazing how much cheaper used tanks are, even when they look brand new and scratch free.

• Like 1

Tired of ugly pictures of bryopsis? Me too!

How about a cool light?

Nanobox Hybrid

Also, I dipped the zoas that were closed up due to the bryopsis in peroxide last night. I did a minute or two, diluted at 50% with tank water. Less than 24 hours later, they all opened back up. 

20170220-untitled-009-2-Edit.jpg

This is a detail from another frag plug, I just thought it turned out kind of cool looking :)

20170220-untitled-007-2-Edit.jpg

• Like 8

Beautiful. Good tip on the peroxide. Thanks

8 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

What?! Another one. I can never find similar deals in my area. :lol:  

Same here. I'm always checking crags list, Letgo etc. Thought I found one, but the seller never got back to me. :furious:

• Like 1

Look on Flakebook too, lots of sale groups on there as well, that's where that one came from. I have an RSS feed set up on Searchtempest to notify me if anything rimless comes up for sale in a 200 mile radius. I haven't bought a new tank since 1987 other than the 40 Breeders from Petsmart for $40 ea, lol. Yes, I embrace my inner cheapass.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Look on Flakebook too, lots of sale groups on there as well, that's where that one came from. I have an RSS feed set up on Searchtempest to notify me if anything rimless comes up for sale in a 200 mile radius. I haven't bought a new tank since 1987 other than the 40 Breeders from Petsmart for $40 ea, lol. Yes, I embrace my inner cheapass.

I found mine advertised in a facebook group for local reefers. Most of the local buying and selling between local reefers in my area happens in that group, not much gets advertised anywhere else. The tradeoff is that most people in the group are just trying to help each other out, and don't ask too much money and and don't expect to be asked to drop the price either. It's pretty similar to buying and selling here on N-R, but without the shipping costs.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Love that photo John. Good luck with the algae, just stay positive. :)

Thanks, Dave! My first worry with the algae was that it wasn't actually bryopsis, and so the Fluco wouldn't work, but as I let it grow, it's looking more and more obviously like Bryopsis. I took some pictures of it growing on the frag rack and it looks a lot more like that usual pictures.

My other worry is that I somehow messed up the Fluco treatment by running the skimmer for the first few days. But I think at worst, that means I'll have to wait until the end of the 14 days, do some water changes and run some carbon, and then retreat it. The reports are remarkably consistent the it really does work.

Here's Day 6. I may be just hoping, but I think the color is a little lighter today.

Algae Day 6

I also took a picture of some that's growing on the frag rack. This was last night:

Bryopsis

This is tonight:

20170222-untitled-006.jpg

Here's some good old green star polyps to make up for all the nasty bryopsis shots :)

GSP

• Like 4
natalia_la_loca

Your algae looks identical to what I have. Mine still hasn't completely gone away either. What people are saying in the R2R thread is that flucon does kill other forms of GHA, but it takes much longer, like 3 weeks or more.

• Like 2

Mine looked a lot more feathery before the vibrant began to do its number, but hopefully it does away with GHA by the end of the treatment if not the second! :)

Mine looked like this nonsense..

algae12%5B1%5D.jpg bryopsis.jpg

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

wabbits

More like chickenshits, I've never seen a more scared fish than the Rabbitfish out of Fiji. I even put 2 more of each in each tank and still scared to death. I walk into the room and everybody else comes up to the glass, not the rabbitfish, EEEEK, IT'S THE BOOGIE MONSTER, MUST TO BE HIDING!!!

• Like 2
jedimasterben
30 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

More like chickenshits, I've never seen a more scared fish than the Rabbitfish out of Fiji. I even put 2 more of each in each tank and still scared to death. I walk into the room and everybody else comes up to the glass, not the rabbitfish, EEEEK, IT'S THE BOOGIE MONSTER, MUST TO BE HIDING!!!

My magnifica is a giant pussy. Makes me kinda mad, he cost 4x as much as the doliatus I was going to get again, but figured I'd spring the extra. Now I see him 1/4 as much, so I guess it kinda evens out in the price :D

• Like 2

Whatever you do, DO NOT corner one Ben. As big a pussy as they are, they can swim with that dorsal aimed right at you. Found that out a few days ago rescaping the 57 for the incoming shipment Sunday.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Whatever you do, DO NOT corner one Ben. As big a pussy as they are, they can swim with that dorsal aimed right at you. Found that out a few days ago rescaping the 57 for the incoming shipment Sunday.

Ouch! :eek:

Today is the seventh day since I dosed the tank with Fluconazole. The algae on my test frag plug is still growing and getting thicker. I've been trying to keep the white balance and exposure the same in every picture but I failed in this one.

Algae Day 7

On the bright side, there are pods living in the algae now :) You can see them if you zoom in really close.

Algae Day 7

• Like 4
jedimasterben
10 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Oh, I know that. My doliatus got me by accident a couple of years ago. Hurt like hell.

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Teeny, I used peroxide dip for Zoas with algae and it worked 100%, the hair algaes didn't come back either. Give it a shot? 

Some species of bryopsis are only hampered by peroxide dips, not killed by it, so it isn't always a sure thing. :mellow:

• Like 2
12 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Teeny, I used peroxide dip for Zoas with algae and it worked 100%, the hair algaes didn't come back either. Give it a shot? 

10 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

Oh, I know that. My doliatus got me by accident a couple of years ago. Hurt like hell.

Some species of bryopsis are only hampered by peroxide dips, not killed by it, so it isn't always a sure thing. :mellow:

Exactly - I can make it go away for a few days with a peroxide dip, but it always comes back sooner or later.

In the 4g tank, I went as far as dipping frags in peroxide, soaking the frag racks in bleach, and completely emptying the tank and scrubbing it out with vinegar. Just as I would think things were good, it would come back. My conclusion is that as long as there's some tiny bit of it on a rock, plug, the biobrick, or a coral that can't take peroxide (like the monticaps), it will always come back.

I always blamed the small size of the 4g tank and assumed I just couldn't get a good enough balance for good nutrient export, but now I'm getting the exact same thing in this tank which has plenty of volume and stability, along with a very mature bioblock.

If the Fluconazole doesn't work, I will just take everything down to ground zero. None of the frags are unreplaceable, so I'll throw away the frags and plugs and little rock pieces, and soak the biobrick in bleach and start it all over again from scratch.

Of course I'll also have to drain and scrub the tank, sump, pumps, and filters, so this isn't something I really want to do if I can possibly avoid it!