Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

• 3 weeks later...

So these two frags are of the same coral. I think it's fascinating how much difference light and other tank conditions can make. The first one is from the 10g tank with less light and higher nutrients, and it has a lot of green. The second has been in this tank for months. I've been increasing the light in this tank gradually. I'm really interested to see what the final coloration is for these frags.

20181027-untitled-080-2.jpg

20181027-untitled-085-2.jpg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Looks crazy. Its definitely insane how corals take to different conditions. Looks like you have lots of frags of that piece too lol. 

2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

That is really interesting!  Thanks for taking the time to show how 2 tanks can impact coral differently.

I really think one of the best things about having multiple tanks is being able to move corals from one tank to another when they aren't doing well, or just to see what happens!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I really think one of the best things about having multiple tanks is being able to move corals from one tank to another when they aren't doing well, or just to see what happens!

Amen to that!

• Like 1

For those of you following in the 10g thread, I moved Doug, the Leopard Toby puffer, from that tank to this one last night. He was getting a little big for the 10g and I wanted to cut back on the nutrient load in that tank. Plus I have vermetid snails in this tank, and Doug seems to have completely eliminated them in the 10g. Go Doug, go!

20181103-untitled-017.jpg

Hammerin' Hank, the Longnose Hawk fish:

20181103-untitled-034.jpg

The Lorax - Starry Blenny. I swear he looks like a puppy sometimes when he lifts his head up :lol:

20181103-untitled-024.jpg

Blueberry, the Springer's Damsel. Probably my favorite fish in this tank because of his incredible blue color. Plus he's always out and about and he doesn't bother the other fish.

20181102-untitled-024.jpg

I'd love to post a picture of Connor, the sole remaining blue green chromis, but he's always darting around and never holds still 😞

Likewise, Thing 1 and Thing 2 are always hiding, so I don't have many pictures of them. I'm going to move them into the 10g tank where they'll be more likely to come out and play.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, teenyreef said:

We do that too. We have an Oulliphilia that wasn't doing well in M's tank so we moved it back into my tank and it's doing better now.

20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

For those of you following in the 10g thread, I moved Doug, the Leopard Toby puffer, from that tank to this one last night. He was getting a little big for the 10g and I wanted to cut back on the nutrient load in that tank. Plus I have vermetid snails in this tank, and Doug seems to have completely eliminated them in the 10g. Go Doug, go!

20181103-untitled-017.jpg

Hammerin' Hank, the Longnose Hawk fish:

20181103-untitled-034.jpg

The Lorax - Starry Blenny. I swear he looks like a puppy sometimes when he lifts his head up :lol:

20181103-untitled-024.jpg

Blueberry, the Springer's Damsel. Probably my favorite fish in this tank because of his incredible blue color. Plus he's always out and about and he doesn't bother the other fish.

20181102-untitled-024.jpg

I'd love to post a picture of Connor, the sole remaining blue green chromis, but he's always darting around and never holds still 😞

Likewise, Thing 1 and Thing 2 are always hiding, so I don't have many pictures of them. I'm going to move them into the 10g tank where they'll be more likely to come out and play.

Blueberry is from the Manado area in Indonesia, the ones out of The Philippines are more black with blue lines, the ones from Indo are blue with less black. Same with hawkfish, the ones out of Sri Lanka are more white than the Indo or Filipino ones which are more red than white. Hank is probably out of The Philippines.

• Like 1
On 11/4/2018 at 5:47 PM, StinkyBunny said:

We do that too. We have an Oulliphilia that wasn't doing well in M's tank so we moved it back into my tank and it's doing better now.

Blueberry is from the Manado area in Indonesia, the ones out of The Philippines are more black with blue lines, the ones from Indo are blue with less black. Same with hawkfish, the ones out of Sri Lanka are more white than the Indo or Filipino ones which are more red than white. Hank is probably out of The Philippines.

Thanks, Stinky! It's always interesting to learn more about where these fish come from.

I took advantage of the free shipping with $100 purchase offer from Cultivated Reef to use my CR gift card I won for my second-best Upscales Microlados frag in the grow out contest. Btw, congrats to @Cannedfish for juicing up his frag beyond all recognition, it was an awesome achievement!

So, all in all, in order to use up my $25 gift card, I ended up spending about $100 cash :lol:

But I think it was worth it, and ended up with some sweet new corals that are acclimating in the frag tank now.

$5 doorbuster - Fruit Loops! They were still opening up when I took this picture but they're doing fine.

Fruit Loops

Cornbred God of War palys:

Cornbred God of War Paly

"Pink" ricordea (should look awesome in the ricordea garden in the 10g tank!):

Pink Florida Ricordea

ORA Red Planet. I'm trying to grow a red planet for more than three months for at least the third time, maybe more. I've realized one sure way to get me to buy a certain coral is for me to kill one. I'll continue to buy more until I figure out how to keep it alive :rolleyes:

Red Planet

• Like 7
12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I took advantage of the free shipping with $100 purchase offer from Cultivated Reef to use my CR gift card I won for my second-best Upscales Microlados frag in the grow out contest. Btw, congrats to @Cannedfish for juicing up his frag beyond all recognition, it was an awesome achievement!

So, all in all, in order to use up my $25 gift card, I ended up spending about $100 cash :lol:

But I think it was worth it, and ended up with some sweet new corals that are acclimating in the frag tank now.

$5 doorbuster - Fruit Loops! They were still opening up when I took this picture but they're doing fine.

Fruit Loops

Cornbred God of War Paly

Pink Florida Ricordea

ORA Red Planet. I'm trying to grow a red planet for more than three months for at least the third time, maybe more. I've realized one sure way to get me to buy a certain coral is for me to kill one. I'll continue to buy more until I figure out how to keep it alive :rolleyes:

Red Planet

I placed an order with CR too that was supposed to be here today. Somehow FedEx managed to take more than 12 hours to get it from Maine to Memphis, so it's still there and won't be here today. My money is on it getting accidentally stuck on a truck instead of a plane, they did that with my wedding rings and we were sweating it. They arrived about 9pm the night before my 10:30 am wedding lol. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I placed an order with CR too that was supposed to be here today. Somehow FedEx managed to take more than 12 hours to get it from Maine to Memphis, so it's still there and won't be here today. My money is on it getting accidentally stuck on a truck instead of a plane, they did that with my wedding rings and we were sweating it. They arrived about 9pm the night before my 10:30 am wedding lol. :rolleyes:

Fed ex and UPS are horrible with that lol. I will only use USPS cause they are much more reliable to me. Plus when I ship stuff they some times get there sooner than expected.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Fruit Loops

Cornbred God of War Paly

Pink Florida Ricordea

Red Planet

spotted the fruit loop on Flickr, was just wondering if it was from CR.  I got the same doorbuster!  Good luck with Red Planet. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

Fed ex and UPS are horrible with that lol. I will only use USPS cause they are much more reliable to me. Plus when I ship stuff they some times get there sooner than expected.

I've had good and bad experiences with both, where I used to live I wouldn't trust USPS with a Christmas card! :lol: Here they usually all do a pretty good job, at least locally. UPS last year stuck my package in the warehouse over the weekend...RIP pink streaked wrasse. :sad:

• Sad 2
16 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks, Stinky! It's always interesting to learn more about where these fish come from.

When you see so many of them come through, you know where they come from. I have one a Springer's and a Yellowtail damsel together and they get along just fine. Put 2 of the same species in the tank and you won't need a powerhead, lol.

We're actually trying to get Longnose Hawks to spawn for us in the one Gorgonian vat. I wish raising marine fish was as easy as freshwater.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Soo was just looking at your frag tank setup last night as I want to set one up...went to the LFS that I frequent a lot to see what they had on sale. Was just going to do a simple AIO or 20g Long with a hob to keep cost down. 

They didn't have exactly what I wanted but was chatting with the girl that works there and told her I was setting up a frag tank. Wouldn't you know it she had a frag tank she wasn't using but wasn't sure of the brand. She sent me some pics...looks to be a 30g rr deep blue tank! Told her I will pick it up next Sunday. So I guess I'm copycatting you now lol

Mine won't be nearly as fancy though...it's more of a budget frag tank but pretty excited. It's going in the basement which my husband is thankful for. He doesn't want the apt to look like a fish store lol 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:22 PM, Tamberav said:

Soo was just looking at your frag tank setup last night as I want to set one up...went to the LFS that I frequent a lot to see what they had on sale. Was just going to do a simple AIO or 20g Long with a hob to keep cost down. 

They didn't have exactly what I wanted but was chatting with the girl that works there and told her I was setting up a frag tank. Wouldn't you know it she had a frag tank she wasn't using but wasn't sure of the brand. She sent me some pics...looks to be a 30g rr deep blue tank! Told her I will pick it up next Sunday. So I guess I'm copycatting you now lol

Mine won't be nearly as fancy though...it's more of a budget frag tank but pretty excited. It's going in the basement which my husband is thankful for. He doesn't want the apt to look like a fish store lol 

I missed this! Did you start a build thread?

On 11/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, micoastreefing said:

spotted the fruit loop on Flickr, was just wondering if it was from CR.  I got the same doorbuster!  Good luck with Red Planet. 

Thanks!