Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

teenyreef

Now everybody please join me in saying a prayer for the corals, that they won't get too hot or too cold, that the bags won't leak, that nothing gets crushed, and they are delivered on time and at the right place 🙏

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
StinkyBunny

Now you know how I feel when I order from overseas, PLEASE don't F anything up airlines, lol. I don't need to gamble, I transship fish and corals.

• Haha 1
teenyreef
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Now you know how I feel when I order from overseas, PLEASE don't F anything up airlines, lol. I don't need to gamble, I transship fish and corals.

Yep! Nothing like depending on something inherently undependable :rolleyes:

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Checked alkalinity Monday night and it was 5.2, down from 7.3 Friday night. Turns out that's how fast it will drop when the dosing containers go empty :furious:

So I stayed up late to hook up the thrid BRS doser, flush all the tubing, and switch over to the ATI Essentials three part system, with no more water changes, like I've been doing in the 40g.

I did some manual dosing to bring things back up a bit (slowly), and took a guess at the new dosing rate for the ATI stuff, which is less concentrated than the Seachem Fusion I was using before, by doubling the previous rate. 

When I checked alk tonight, it was up to 5.5. So still way too low, but at least I didn't spike it and kill all the sps. Yet.

I did another manual dose and bumped up the dosers a little more. I'll keep checking every night and making adjustments until it's on track again.

We had mixed luck with the blue kenya tree frags. Of four that were shipped via two day, one did fine, one was DOA, one melted immediately, and one was still alive two weeks later but not yet thriving. I shipped another one the following week but used overnight, and it did just fine.

So I won't be doing two-day for these frags any more, unfortunately.

On the bright side, there are lots of frags growing up and it will be time to have a housecleaning sale. Plus, when I was rescaping the 10g, I cut off a decent sized branch from the ORA Pearlberry and got eight or nine decent sized frags from it. It's a beautiful acro so I'm looking forward to seeing those frags heal so I can share them.

Here's a picture of the Pearlberry from the 10g tank:

ORA Pearlberry

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
StinkyBunny
18 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Checked alkalinity Monday night and it was 5.2, down from 7.3 Friday night. Turns out that's how fast it will drop when the dosing containers go empty :furious:

So I stayed up late to hook up the thrid BRS doser, flush all the tubing, and switch over to the ATI Essentials three part system, with no more water changes, like I've been doing in the 40g.

I did some manual dosing to bring things back up a bit (slowly), and took a guess at the new dosing rate for the ATI stuff, which is less concentrated than the Seachem Fusion I was using before, by doubling the previous rate. 

When I checked alk tonight, it was up to 5.5. So still way too low, but at least I didn't spike it and kill all the sps. Yet.

I did another manual dose and bumped up the dosers a little more. I'll keep checking every night and making adjustments until it's on track again.

A  word of advice for dosing alkalinity booster. Dilute it by 1/2, then double the dose. It'll keep your pipes free flowing. 😉

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 7:01 PM, StinkyBunny said:

A  word of advice for dosing alkalinity booster. Dilute it by 1/2, then double the dose. It'll keep your pipes free flowing. 😉

That's a great tip. The ATI stuff actually mixes up much more diluted for that reason. I have to use about four times as much as when I used liquid dosing solution.

The tank has been cruising along with no major issues other than a few more vermetid snails than I'd like. But there's not much algae and the corals are growing well.

The only thing I'm struggling with is some of the zoas still aren't growing the way the should. But they're better than they used to be so I'm going to let it ride for now and not mess around trying to fix things.

I checked nitrates for the first time in about a month and they'd fallen to zero again. So I added some Seachem Flourish. I'll keep adding a little bit at a time until I've got detectable nitrates again.

Coral colors are doing well overall. The blue digitata is more brown than blue, but everything else is coloring up well. 

I broke down the jar last night and moved all the pieces of rock with coral on it into this tank. A few of them browned out a bit, but they were already doing badly in the jar due to too much algae and the light getting stuck on overnight again. And other than the few that turned brown, all the others look much better already. Even the algae seems to be going away just 24 hours later.

The tank is getting really full! I'm going to take some pictures this weekend and post some coral for sale. If anyone wants anything particular in advance of the posting, just PM me.

FTS:

20180614-untitled-003.jpg

Top Down (front half)

20180614-untitled-002.jpg

Top down (back half):

20180614-untitled-001.jpg

CR Electric Miyagi Tort (one of three):

20180614-untitled-013.jpg

Bubblegum Montipora: 

20180614-untitled-017.jpg

Some of the ORA Pearlberry fraglets. A chunk of it broke of when I was rescaping the 10g, so I broke it into eight different pieces. All eight are encrusting and growing and starting to color up.

20180614-untitled-015.jpg

Here's a better shot of some of the baby pearlberries:

20180614-untitled-016.jpg

I'm in a "free coral of the month" club at one of my lfs's. I've thrown a couple of them in here just to see what they do.

Goniopora:

20180614-untitled-010.jpg

I can't remember if this is a cyphastrea or a montipora. It looks like cyphastrea to me. It was fairly brown when I got it. I had it in the jar at first and it browned out completely. I moved it in here a couple weeks ago, in a spot with low lighting. It doesn't look spectacular yet, but it's starting to get some interesting colors.

20180614-untitled-009.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

The yellow one is a Leptastrea.

Yeah, I was just thinking that it wasn't a goni after I posted it. Thanks, cause wasn't sure what it actually was 🤔

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Its time to get rid of some frags. This tank is overflowing. I'm going to try to sell a bunch of frags, and I'll probably glue a few onto the rocks as well to start new mother colonies. I'd like to get some new frags started from other corals in the other tanks, but I need to make room first!

Here's a copy of the post from the marketplace forum for anyone who's interested.

My frag tank has gotten way too full and it's time to get rid of a bunch of frags! I have mostly acros and montipora, plus a couple zoas. All frags are healthy and encrusting, but of varying sizes. The eggcrate squares in the pictures are 1/2" so you can judge the size of the frags.

Shipping is actual cost overnight via USPS plus an $8 box charge. In my area, USPS overnight delivers 4-6 hours earlier than UPS or Fedex and is very reliable. But if you are concerned about USPS delivery, in which case I can ship UPS or Fedex, your choice. You can look up shipping costs online, or PM me for a quote. I usually estimate for a 3 pound box.

All frags are guaranteed to arrive alive. If anything is in bad shape or dead on arrival, send a picture of the coral within three hours of delivery for a refund or credit towards something else (shipping is not refundable, sorry). 

The monticaps and zoas are pretty tough and will likely survive two day shipping if you want to take a chance. But I can't guarantee live arrival with two day shipping.

If  you order multiple frags, I usually include a freebie 🙂

All frags are WYSIWYG, and I can provide pictures of individual frags or mother colonies on request.

First up: Idaho Grape and red monticaps: 

A-F: $15 each

G-I: $10 each

Red and Idaho Grape Monticaps

Green Apple monticaps. These are an incredible vivid green with good lighting and parameters, but grow under almost all conditions. A great beginner sps.

"A" also has a red monticap growing around and underneath the green. The brown spots on the edge of the green is where the red is starting to break out from underneath.

A: $25

B-C: $20

Sour Apple Montipora

This green monticap is huge, all growing from one frag plug. I need to either sell it or break it apart into smaller frags. Caution: I will pack it as well as I can, but it's at high risk of breaking in shipment because its so big. If it breaks, I will refund $10 of the $40 cost.

Sour Apple Montipora

Green star polyps, $10 each. These are big chunks that have been growing for a while.

Green Star Polyps

Green Star Polyps

Blue Kenya Tree leathers. There are three in this picture, all pretty much the same size and shape. These grow much more slowly than the regular kenya tree, and have a beautiful blue color. $20 each (haknose fish not included 🙂)

Blue Kenya Tree Leather

Green Elkhorn montipora, $10 each:

Green Elkhorn Montipora

Blue/green palys. I'm sure they have a cool name but I got them as unidentified palys. $10.

Palys

Sunny Delight Palys: $20

Sunny Delight Palys

Acros and digis:

A-H: ORA Pearlberry, $20 each.

I-K, O, T: not for sale yet, these are too young/small.

L, P: Cultivated Reef Electric Miyagi tort. $25 each.

M: Bird of Paradise birdsnest: $20.

N, R: red/orange montipora setosa. Some of these are from a Jason Fox Red Hot Setosa frag, but they've morphed color to more of an orange. Their colors change quite a bit depending on lighting. $20 each.

Q: pink(ish) acro. This one might be pink lemonade but I'm not sure. It's not very pink right now bit it get pinker under higher lighting. $15.

S: Blue German montipora digitata. It's mostly brown right now, and needs a lot of light to turn blue (you can see a little blue on the very tips). I have more frags of these if anyone wants them, $10 each.

20180704-untitled-018.jpg

Here is the ORA Pearlberry mother colony:

20180430-untitled-011-Edit.jpg

And here is the CR Electric Miyagi Tort mother colony. You can also see the red/orange setosa in the background.

Katropora, Blue Stylo, CR Electric Miyagi Tort

If you have any questions, just let me know!

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
StinkyBunny

If you have any extra styrofoam, you can hang the frags under them via rubber bands. That's the ONLY way I'll ship leather corals of any sort. You might do well shipping those larger MC frags as well, just make sure the styro has enough width to keep it from banging around. I get a lot of maricultured frags out of Indo that way.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Put me down for a frag of WD. 

OK. It'll be there in about a year :biggrin:

48 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

The overnight shipping is 40 bucks correct? 

It varies depending on where you are. My zip is 23322 if you want to check out rates.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
20 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

can i get all the rastas on the frag rack?  hahahahah

I bet you could if you threw enough coin at him. 😉

• Haha 1
Just now, Pjanssen said:

Wow! That's a lot of livestock teeny. Good luck. I hope you are able to sell it all

Thanks, Penny! I just want to make room 🙂

I'm pretty sure I can sell most everything locally at these prices, but I thought I'd give the N-R community a shot first.

On 7/5/2018 at 6:43 PM, StinkyBunny said:

If you have any extra styrofoam, you can hang the frags under them via rubber bands. That's the ONLY way I'll ship leather corals of any sort. You might do well shipping those larger MC frags as well, just make sure the styro has enough width to keep it from banging around. I get a lot of maricultured frags out of Indo that way.

That's a great point, thanks!

5 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I bet you could if you threw enough coin at him. 😉

Ha ha, actually, for some reason, the rastas on the frag plug died. And the rastas that I originally had in the 40g died too. So these are actually my only rastas now. I need to let them grow out so I can start some new frags :lol:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jack1978 said:

The Blue Kenya is pretty kick ass....mines doing nicely, Mr T. 

That's great to hear!