ReefCleaners.org

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

16 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

love that pic of The Lorax :wub:. The rasats ain't bad either.

Thanks, Penny! He has a lot of personality :)

I hope the rastas start growing up on the surface of the frag plug. For some reason they only want to grow on the edge. I guess they want less light, but I don't think I've ever kept them in high light to begin with.

I've been doing a lot of basic housekeeping now that the Fluco is done, and much to my surprise, the algae on the test frag, which seemed to be bouncing back after the Fluco was done, seems to be dying off on its own now. It's not gone but it's definitely better and /or weakened. I can even blow bits of it away with a turkey baster. 

Here's a pic from tonight:

Algae Day 25 (Round 2)

I may be able to get more fish this week. One of my favorite LFS's will have Springer's Damsels in on Thursday. And another one has offered to order whatever I want. I also want to get a second algae eater that's known to eat gha, like a Doliatus Rabbitfish. 

I'm kind of torn on what to get for a pest eater. I'm considering:

6 Line (can be aggressive)

Springer's Damsel (not sure if it's as effective as a six line) 

Orchid Dottyback (same) 

Yellow Coris Wrasse (may not like bare bottom, may grow too fast, could be too shy) 

I also want to get a pest eater for the 40g, but there's a sandbed there so I have more options. 

• Like 3

Beautiful tank teenyreef. 

Yes be careful with sixline,  mine did great job at first nailing bristleworms etc, then it had a taste for my royal gramma and nearly finished him off. 

Managed to get it out and straight back to lfs.  

My scooter blenny works the rocks and cleared up a flatworm outbreak I had. 

IMG_2407.JPG

• Like 5
10 hours ago, John L said:

Thanks pjanssen 

he does his little display after a good feed maybe to tell me he's full and happy, who knows. ?

Wow, he's beautiful! I love dragonettes, but since I have a bare bottom tank, I don't think this would be a good choice for this particular tank. And I think the angel and clowns would be too boisterous in the 40g tank. But it's a great option for me to think about...

• Like 1

I took a few top down shots of the frags today. Most are doing quite well, and even those that are still less than perfect are a lot better than they were.

There is still some gha/bryopsis/whatever it is, but it doesn't seem to be blooming and bothering the corals like it was before. It may be a completely different type of gha for all I know, but I now see snails on the frags which is good, because they wouldn't touch the old evil stuff.

None of these frags are super impressive. They're just some spare frags I had that I was willing to sacrifice if things went really bad.

This is the test frag from the top down. It's really nice to see it looking mostly clean and with polyps opening up :)

20170329-untitled-016.jpg

This is the zoa colony that had crap all over it that I posted last week. Still recovering but doing much better now.

20170329-untitled-023.jpg

The rest of these are doing pretty well.

20170329-untitled-025.jpg

20170329-untitled-024.jpg

20170329-untitled-029.jpg

20170329-untitled-026.jpg

20170329-untitled-032.jpg

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I've got some zoa envy right now... :wub: love pic 1/5, and is #6 bam bams?  Because mine look nowhere near that vibrant.

Yep, those are bam bams. They seem to like this tank, even when all the others are unhappy, these still open up every day. 

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Springer's showed up on the Philippines list last week, now everyone has them, lol. I wonder if they're reading the forum over there, if you are, post up, we won't bite. Even when they're not on the list, I add them in and usually get a few each shipment. I have 2 pairs now, but nothing in the giggity giggity department yet. :D

• Like 2
On 3/30/2017 at 4:41 AM, StinkyBunny said:

Springer's showed up on the Philippines list last week, now everyone has them, lol. I wonder if they're reading the forum over there, if you are, post up, we won't bite. Even when they're not on the list, I add them in and usually get a few each shipment. I have 2 pairs now, but nothing in the giggity giggity department yet. :D

And now "everyone" includes me! This is "Blueberry" the Springer's Damsel. Super cute, cheap, active, doesn't bother other fish, and eats pests. What's not to love? It's hard to tell in the picture but he's about an inch long.

Blueberry (Springer's Damsel)

• Like 8

Wow, everything is looking so much better!!!

Very nice Z's & P's. 

Congrats on the new addition, I never realized Springer's Damsels were pest eaters!!

• Like 1

Well, according the the internet and @StinkyBunny (who I trust more than the internet), Springer's are part of a very small group of Damsels that don't turn into demons. And they eat flatworms. For those that like to do their own research, here are a couple interesting links:

https://reefs.com/magazine/pest-free-reefkeeping-iii-116/

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/fish-database/110228-chrysiptera-springeri.html

• Like 5
StinkyBunny
11 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Not aggressive like other damsels usually are?

very pretty

Nope, they're assholes to one another unless they're a mated pair, but other than that, they're model reef citizens.

11 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Damsels are demons. Do not be fooled. :P

Negative, others are, but not the Springer's or Rolland's damsel, I keep both in stock most of the time.

Yours is a Bali Springer's teeny, the Filipino Springers have more black, I have a pair of each. If I can get them bumpin' uglies, I'll cross the 2 races to see what happens.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
On 3/29/2017 at 8:47 AM, Pjanssen said:

beautiful and interesting scooter. Almost looks like a mandarin with that coloring.

That's a male Scooter blenny, they have an enlarged dorsal for displaying to females and other males as a territorial display. If you can get one eating mysis you're good to go. Mine eat mysis, Capellini eggs and bring shrimp. Those are another one I'd like to try my hand at breeding. That said, I can't keep the red ones to save my life, even the ones out of Sri Lanka don't start eating, even with the brown ones showing them the ropes.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

That's a male Scooter blenny, they have an enlarged dorsal for displaying to females and other males as a territorial display. If you can get one eating mysis you're good to go. Mine eat mysis, Capellini eggs and bring shrimp. Those are another one I'd like to try my hand at breeding. That said, I can't keep the red ones to save my life, even the ones out of Sri Lanka don't start eating, even with the brown ones showing them the ropes.

Mine eats most things, mysis, lobster eggs, rotifer,  pellets etc. I mainly feed him pellets as I can drop a gd pinch in one clump for him to work through. And occasionally 1/4-1/2 a frozen cube of mysis pushed to the bottom. I've got a small copepod population in my refugium and live rock so I'm sure he snacks on them too.  

I noticed to really keep him fat and healthy looking,  I heavy target feed at grub time, they must have a high metabolism always on the move. I love him to bits though!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Do you have them to sell? I tried a red scooter once and he didn't make it. I always feel so bad when I get a fish and it dies.

• Like 1

I had one once, and it did well for a couple months, eating frozen mysis and brine shrimp. It was a lot of fun to watch him bury himself in the sand, and I panicked more than once when I couldn't find him in the morning because he was so well hidden. And then one day he just died for no apparent reason. But he was a great fish while he lasted.

• Like 1
On 3/15/2017 at 7:38 PM, teenyreef said:

The new top from Artfully Acrylics is here! I took a quick cell phone pic - it turned out great and fits perfectly. Now I can go get fish :)

2017-03-15 DB30 FTS

Looks great!

• Like 2
On 3/31/2017 at 5:46 PM, teenyreef said:

And now "everyone" includes me! This is "Blueberry" the Springer's Damsel. Super cute, cheap, active, doesn't bother other fish, and eats pests. What's not to love? It's hard to tell in the picture but he's about an inch long.

Blueberry (Springer's Damsel)

Awwww...blueberry.  So cute!  I will wait to see how yours behaves after some time in the tank.  If it does well, I WANT one lol.  I need a swimmy fish :).

• Like 2

Hopefully that Damsel turns out good for you Teeny! Tank is coming along nicely.

I was able to catch 2 chromis last night and banished them to the sump with my Damsel.......this morning the lights were on and the damsel was chasing them all around the fuge :lol: he was king of the domain and now has visitors.........

• Like 2