Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

How do you know if its a he?

You need to get in that jet and come sex mine also :lol: mine just lives in a rock and goes out hear and there..........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spectra said:

How do you know if its a he?

You need to get in that jet and come sex mine also :lol: mine just lives in a rock and goes out hear and there..........

I don't care what sex he is because he's my fish and I say he's a boy :lol:

• Like 7
StinkyBunny

I don't know if they're like the bicolors, but they start as females and end up males. You'll love that hawk, a lot of personality, just make sure you put the top back if you do anything in the tank, they're like Polaris missiles.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! The Starry Blenny is getting less shy now, he's been swimming all over the rocks instead of just staying underneath them.

When I got home today I got a quick cell phone shot of him. I've decided Greta is not a good name, after. So meet The Lorax :)

The Lorax - Starry Blenny

What an awesome fish, you made such neat choices!!

36 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I don't know if they're like the bicolors, but they start as females and end up males. You'll love that hawk, a lot of personality, just make sure you put the top back if you do anything in the tank, they're like Polaris missiles.

As opposed to those other missiles, lol?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Well, you wouldn't launch an MIM-919 from a sub. ;)

I bow to your expertise. 

Dangit, I spilled a little coffee whilst executing that bow!! :angry:

• Like 2

Sorry I've been missing in action lately...last week I had an abscessed tooth that turned into a bone infection, and I missed almost the whole week at work. Then just as that seemed to be getting better, I got some kind of creeping crud cold/flu that knocked me out completely all weekend. I'm finally feeling better and hopefully by tomorrow night I can start catching back up on N-R.

I've fallen behind on tank maintenance, none of the tanks have had a water change in two weeks. But since this tank can't have a water change until the 21 day Fluco treatment is done, that doesn't matter too much. Running the skimmer without the cup is driving me crazy though. If I keep it turned up enough to keep the water foaming freely out the top, I get salt spray crusted all over everything in the inside of the cabinet. If I turn it down low just to keep the water aerated, it actively skims crap out of the water and it accumulates on the lip of the skimmer. I suppose I shouldn't complain that the skimmer works great, but still :rolleyes:

The new fish are doing fine, Hank the Hawkfish loves brine shrimp and little bits of other frozen food, but I haven't seen him go after pellets yet. The Lorax (Starry Blenny) grumps around under the rocks, and comes out to survey his domain every once in a while. 

The algae treatment seems to be progressing along, with hardly any traces of gha left. Since I added the new rocks, I've got diatoms everywhere, and I've also got the usual filmy brown algae growing on everything. All part of the Ugly New Tank Syndrome which I'm perversely glad to see at last now that the gha seems to be under control.

I tried to keep up on the daily progress pictures but missed a few days over the weekend. First, a few that I didn't get posted last week:

Day 14 (Round 2):

Algae Day 14 (Round 2)

Day 15 (Round 2):

Algae Day 15 (Round 2)

And here's today, which is Day 18 (Round 2). You can see that there are just a few tiny traces of macro algae left, and nearly all the film algae is gone now. There's something slimy/shiny where the film algae was, though. Not sure if that's a snail trail from somebody eating the algae, or what. But I do know the frag plug was completely turned around today, so something was definitely working on the frag.

Algae Day 18 (Round 2)

• Like 6
fishfreak0114

That sounds like a rough week!  Glad to hear you're feeling better :) The Lorax is fabulous!  I once saw a starry blenny at an LFS and thought it was the cutest thing ever.  

• Like 1

Oh man what a rough week! I'm sure that bone infection was pretty painful. Hopefully you're on the up and up on all the crud! Feel better soon!

• Like 1

Your slacking is all forgiven giving the circumstances. Glad you are feeling better. Saw a couple of starry's in the lfs and hubby really wanted one. It was hard to say no, but every time we add a 4th fish to the tank it only lives a little while. So we'll just have to enjoy yours! I'll be needing lots of pics please. Oh, and videos. Thank you. :P

• Like 1

Ahh teeny, I am sorry that you weren't feeling well.  Abscessed teeth are bad enough without the whole jawbone thing.  I have had more than my share, (I think I have 8 root canals).

The Lorax is adorable and perfectly named!

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I'm taking the day off on Wednesday to get the root canal done so hopefully I can catch up a little bit :)

It's Day 19, only two more days to go! And the test frag is showing real progress now. Even the stubborn little bits of green at the base of the left most polyp are getting discolored.

Algae Day 18 (Round 2)

On the other hand, I noticed this frag has been mostly closed up. After taking a macro shot, I can see why :( I did a peroxide dip and it should be better tomorrow. Can anyone id this? I'm not sure if it's bits of algae growing on the skin of the zoas...it almost looks like zoa spiders if I squint my eyes and ignore the fact that they don't move.

I still don't have a pest eater in the tank, hopefully I'll find something this weekend.

20170320-untitled-010.jpg

• Like 2

VERY sorry about the tooth situation and sickness, hoping you see great improvement in that soon!!

On the Zoas, please let us know how they look today after the dip, and also, do you have any other dips?

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Been down the abscessed tooth trail a few times, it sucks!! If something doesn't feel right after the root canal, speak up. Dental infections can go from annoying to deadly in a few days. Better to err on the side of caution.

Take the zooanthids and try swishing them around UNDER water to see if the stuff comes off. If you do try anything manual, do so VERY gently.

As for the skimmer spraying all over the place, try putting a plastic bowl over the top to keep the spray down to a minimum.

• Like 1
On 3/22/2017 at 7:20 PM, StinkyBunny said:

Been down the abscessed tooth trail a few times, it sucks!! If something doesn't feel right after the root canal, speak up. Dental infections can go from annoying to deadly in a few days. Better to err on the side of caution.

Take the zooanthids and try swishing them around UNDER water to see if the stuff comes off. If you do try anything manual, do so VERY gently.

As for the skimmer spraying all over the place, try putting a plastic bowl over the top to keep the spray down to a minimum.

Tell me about it! I went from no problem at all to a huge infection in 48 hours over the weekend. The root canal didn't happen, they did all the work and then decided the infection was still too bad. Another week on strong antibiotics will do it, hopefully.

An upside down plastic bowl is a genius idea and it's working great!! Either that or I'm just stupid. I kept trying to think of some way to cover it without getting a bunch of skimmate. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Thanks!

• Like 2
On 3/22/2017 at 6:26 AM, Weetabix7 said:

VERY sorry about the tooth situation and sickness, hoping you see great improvement in that soon!!

On the Zoas, please let us know how they look today after the dip, and also, do you have any other dips?

Thanks, Weetie!

Here's a picture of the zoas today after a few days of recovering from the peroxide dip. It looks like there's still some gha, so maybe that's what it was. I do have other dips, Bayer, iodine, CoralRx, etc..

20170324-untitled-003.jpg

Speaking of gha, I have mixed news. Today is Day 21, and I'm going to celebrate with a water change and turning skimming/carbon/gfo back on! But the algae has been making a comeback over the past few days which is very disappointing after it was almost all gone. 

After three weeks without skimming, carbon, or a water change, I'm sure water quality isn't the best. Nitrates are at zero, but phosphates have gone up quite a bit to .06. So I'm not sure how much algae regrowth is just a natural consequence of new rocks and rising phosphates. Also, I don't really believe my nitrates are zero, I think the algae is just sucking it all up. Here are the last three days of progress on the frag plug...

Day 19 (round 2):

Algae Day 19 (Round 2)

Day 20 (round 2). A little cloudy because the glass was covered with algae film and I didn't clean it before taking the picture.

Algae Day 20 (Round 2)

Day 21 (round 2):

Algae Day 21 (Round 2)

I think I'll run the tank on the skimmer and carbon for a few days until the parameters look OK again, and then try just a one or two week re-treatment, just to see what happens.

• Like 3

After a water change and some carbon/gfo and a day of skimming, the tank is a much happier place. Even the algae on the frag plug is a little better.

Algae Day 22 (Round 2)

And the Lorax decided to pose while I had the macro lens out. It's amazing how still he can be. I love how his eyes caught the light just right :)

The Lorax - Starry Blenny

• Like 8

Through all the algae mess, the rastas are still doing fine. Hopefully they'll start to spread a little more now that things are getting back to normal.

Rastas

• Like 7
natalia_la_loca

Just love these pics :wub:

I'm about ready to declare defeat on the fluconazole treatments and just stick to peroxide. I'm seeing regrowth too.

• Like 1