Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

Oh, and I thought about a Midas Blenny because they are so pretty, but apparently they don't eat much algae.

And if the Yellow Coris Wrasse doesn't work out, I think I'll go with a Springer's Damsel instead.

I'm starting to see some diatoms after putting in the new rocks, as well as "normal" brown algae on the glass. I never thought I'd be glad to see "normal" algae :P

The snails are enjoying the algae on the glass, so that's a good sign!

Here's Day 12 (yesterday), I didn't get a chance to post it last night. To my eye, it's an improvement from Day 11.

Algae Day 12 (Round 2)

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Nola Bear said:

Love my starry and my six line, but some of the other wrasses are just awesome too. A local Reefer has some sort of super fancy fairy wrasse, can't remember the name though. It's incredible. My six is a model citizen, btw. 

I love fairy wrasses. Maybe if the yellow coris wrasse works in this tank, I'll try a fairy wrasse in the 40g.

And the zoas are open!

My bryopsis has almost disappeared, and the rest seems to be slowly dying. Just some residual strands on the hitchhiking bivalve. I'm thinking I should put up my progress photos, but they're all over my phone... x: 

• Like 2

The new top from Artfully Acrylics is here! I took a quick cell phone pic - it turned out great and fits perfectly. Now I can go get fish :)

2017-03-15 DB30 FTS

• Like 10
3 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

wow the lid looks great!

Thanks! I'm impressed with the build quality. Time will tell whether it starts sagging, but it's nice and thick so it should hold up well.

Meanwhile, we have continued improvement in the algae department. Just a few traces of stringy stuff, and even the new filmy stuff has decreased.

Algae Day 13 (Round 2)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

And the zoas are open!

My bryopsis has almost disappeared, and the rest seems to be slowly dying. Just some residual strands on the hitchhiking bivalve. I'm thinking I should put up my progress photos, but they're all over my phone... x: 

Woo hoo!!!

8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

That looks better to me!!

Me too!

7 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

What kinds of snails do you have in there? That stuff looks like something a trochus or Mexican turbo would love.

I've got the standard Reefcleaners package, so there are nerites, nassarius, and ceriths. But some of them didn't survive long after I got them, even they couldn't handle the evil algae, apparently. I may pick up a few extras at the lfs when I go out looking for fish.

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Yup, I would try that. Trochus and turbos are very efficient CUC. They can also live a long time if they have enough to eat. Just make sure all your frags are either glued down or on racks :) 

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

You wouldn't be broke, I have a frequent buyers plan. ;) I like the bicolours out of Sri Lanka, they are a smidge bigger, hardier and eat more algae.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

You wouldn't be broke, I have a frequent buyers plan. ;) I like the bicolours out of Sri Lanka, they are a smidge bigger, hardier and eat more algae.

Frequent buyers, that would totally be me :wub:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Yup, I would try that. Trochus and turbos are very efficient CUC. They can also live a long time if they have enough to eat. Just make sure all your frags are either glued down or on racks :) 

I made it to the lfs today, with mixed success. No springer's damsel, no yellow coris wrasse, no bicolor blenny, no trochus snails. But I did get some turbos and astreas. I also got a conch to stir up the sand in the 40g.

The did have a starry blenny, though! I haven't been able to get a picture yet, but Gerta the Blenny is hanging out under the front rock for now.

And they also had this guy, who was still pretty small and has been on my buket list for a while. Meet Hank the Long Nose Hawkfish. I like how his geometric pattern matches the egg crate :)

Hank - Long Nose Hawkfish

• Like 14
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I made it to the lfs today, with mixed success. No springer's damsel, no yellow coris wrasse, no bicolor blenny, no trochus snails. But I did get some turbos and astreas. I also got a conch to stir up the sand in the 40g.

The did have a starry blenny, though! I haven't been able to get a picture yet, but Gerta the Blenny is hanging out under the front rock for now.

And they also had this guy, who was still pretty small and has been on my buket list for a while. Meet Hank the Long Nose Hawkfish. I like how his geometric pattern matches the egg crate :)

Hank - Long Nose Hawkfish

I love those!!  They never look real as they just sit on top of things. 

• Like 1

That's a GREAT pic of the new fish, looking forward to seeing the Blenny when it cooperates!!

The new cover looks nice as well, you've got things moving in a good direction. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I love those!!  They never look real as they just sit on top of things. 

Yep! So far he really likes the front left corner of the tank and he's out all the time.

12 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

There you go again, making me want to upgrade to a bigger tank sooner rather than later! Love the hawkfish. I'm sure the starry is gorgeous too.

Lol, thanks!

11 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's a GREAT pic of the new fish, looking forward to seeing the Blenny when it cooperates!!

The new cover looks nice as well, you've got things moving in a good direction. 

Thanks! The Starry Blenny is getting less shy now, he's been swimming all over the rocks instead of just staying underneath them.

When I got home today I got a quick cell phone shot of him. I've decided Greta is not a good name, after. So meet The Lorax :)

The Lorax - Starry Blenny

• Like 13

OH, love the starry.  Miss mine though he was preventing the rose coral from growing.  He'd perch up next to it and it remained closed.

They're masters at hiding right in front of you.

• Like 2