inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

16 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

You're on an older water system, there's tin in every pipe joint. I've been looking for something to eat the hair worms as well. I'll post if I find something, Copperbands and Longnose do work, but they get large.

I don't think it's my source water, because I have my own RODI with 0 tds and there's no tin in the other two tanks. But there are some reports about the possibility of tin leaching from new-ish PVC pipes, which I do have in this tank for the sump. No PVC pipes in the other tanks, so that could be where it comes from.

When I googled about the hair worms, the only critter consistently reported to eat them was the Copperband. Maybe I should just upgrade this tank to a 60 so I can have a Copperband :D

On 11/20/2017 at 4:39 PM, Jonboy21 said:

Fingers crossed that the pep shrimp eats em. Mine keeps my tank lovely and clean, wouldn't be without one. 

Great thinking with the green monti, wish mine would grow like that ? 

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was thinking 60 because the stand and all the equipment wouldn't change. All I'd do is swap tanks. But I really wanted the shallow look to begin with for this tank. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Yeah I was thinking 60 because the stand and all the equipment wouldn't change. All I'd do is swap tanks. But I really wanted the shallow look to begin with for this tank. 

80's the same footprint, just 4" taller. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like I've been neglecting this thread again, oops!

I removed the bio-brick from the sump a couple weeks ago, and added it to the other one that was in the back chamber of the IM40. The idea is to raise nitrates and phosphates in this tank, and lower nitrates in the IM40.

So far, there's been some improvement - the zoas are starting to look ok again after a long period of being just "meh" and needing lots of dips to get rid of algae. The algae growth has slowed, and the sps has colored up better even though I discontinued dosing Flourish to bring up nitrates and phosphates. I checked parameters about a week ago - nitrates were zero, phosphates were .01. I'll check again this weekend and see if the nitrates have come up at all, but I like what's happening so far.

• Like 2
On 12/20/2017 at 10:12 PM, ninjamyst said:

pull a rachel and just get a big ass tank to consolidate all your little ones

Ha ha, I'd love a big tank but I just can't give up the little ones! I love seeing my 10g and my jar from my desk chair, and I love having the 40g in the family room. If I had a big tank, it would have to go in the eat in kitchen, and I'd never see it there. #firstworldproblems

• Like 2
On 12/29/2017 at 5:21 PM, StinkyBunny said:

Pressed for space? Looks like it's time for a new house. ;)

Ha ha, that's not happening! But if I ever get another house, it's going to have a built-in tank with a dedicated pump/sump room behind it :wub:

In the meantime, I spent NYE taking pictures of tank instead of going out to parties. I've pulled a few frags out of the tank to go in the other tanks, but I also made a few new frags of the monti caps, which are doing really well in this tank now.

2017-12-31 FTS:

2017-12-31 DB30 FTS

One of the turbo snails got under one of the egg crate sections the other day. It cracks me up how easily you can tell which section it was in this top down :lol:

2017-12-31 DB30 Top Down

• Like 10
  • 3 weeks later...

I checked alkalinity the other night and it had fallen to 6.5. I took the calcium reactor apart and put in new media but that didn't help. It turned out that even though there was still gas coming out of the CO2 bottle, it was almost empty so it wasn't effective. Things went back to normal almost instantly after hooking up the new bottle. Lesson learned :)

Now hopefully the corals won't all die after the alkalinity swing from 7.5 to 6.5 back to 7.5 over two or three days.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:57 PM, StinkyBunny said:

You should be OK with a 1 point swing over 2-3 days.

Thanks! So far so good, nothing looks pissed. Which is good because I'm having to go through the whole adjustment thing again with the calcium reactor.

I love the calcium reactor, once it's dialed in everything is rock solid and there's no maintenance needed whatsoever other than to make sure the water is flowing. But it's a bit of a pain to get it going and adjusted the first time.

Well, the tank hit the one year mark the other day and it's finally starting to prove that nothing beats just letting a tank mature. The sps are doing great, and the zoas, which had developed some kind of algae funk, are starting to open back up again after a couple light peroxide dips.

I will post some more pictures along with some thoughts on the one year mark, but things have been crazy busy for me lately. So for now, here's an FTS and top down:

2018-01-30 DB30 FTS:

2018-01-30 DB30 FTS

2018-01-30 DB30 Top Down:

2018-01-30 DB30 Top Down

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well, the tank hit the one year mark the other day and it's finally starting to prove that nothing beats just letting a tank mature. The sps are doing great, and the zoas, which had developed some kind of algae funk, are starting to open back up again after a couple light peroxide dips.

I will post some more pictures along with some thoughts on the one year mark, but things have been crazy busy for me lately. So for now, here's an FTS and top down:

2018-01-30 DB30 FTS:

2018-01-30 DB30 FTS

2018-01-30 DB30 Top Down:

2018-01-30 DB30 Top Down

Looks great Teeny!