Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

Ok first that is not a gate valve on your return :P its a ball valve..........you know better I know it :lol: and as far as the durso well I will not go that rout after having one. My cad tank I never set up I drilled a return and put an emergency drain where the return was supposed to be........Herbie style.......works good if you cant do a bean style......I love silent tanks.......

Oops, yeah I did know it was a ball valve. And yeah, I would not have chosen durso if it hadn't already been plumbed that way. But if I'd know more about how a durso was supposed to be done I would have known this one wasn't really done right, and probably would have gone ahead and drilled a third hole for a silent return.

And the airline doesn't let enough air in, it starts siphoning unless I slow down the drain just a bit. Stupid durso.

• Like 1

Never could get my durso to stop gurgling, even with the airline trick. Eventually ended up going herbie and running the return over the tank.

Hope you can figure it out!

• Like 2

Yep I could never get a durso to be quiet...........I tried and tried but gave up in the end.........just drill it and be done :lol: or go over with the return.

• Like 1

Yep I could never get a durso to be quiet...........I tried and tried but gave up in the end.........just drill it and be done :lol: or go over with the return.

That's probably what I'll do. But I'm going to try two things first - get a new ball valve and see if it helps to restrict the pump flow, and then wait for the new pump and see how it does.

Right now I know the flow is too high and the drain can only keep up if I leave the airline out.

But at least the tank is wet, it's running, it has water circulation and heat, and the biobrick is in place. So I went ahead and moved the frag rack over from the 4g tank along with the snails and the hermit. It's up and running!

View from my desk chair:

31790954203_eb0060c473_b.jpg20170130-untitled-002.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'll pick up a new ball valve. And clean up the mess!

• Like 8

I saw something about a 4 bulb LED light. What about a 4 bulb LED nanobox hybrid? I may have one I've never used that would look great over this tank :lol:

2EF4CEED-ACA6-42E7-802F-43496CAF065C.jpg

Wow, that's tempting! More details?
  • Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Maybe for a bit at first. Mine is out and about all the time. Especially when it is time to feed.

Hmmm. I dunno. I've heard they can be mean as well. Plus, I think the coral beauty is prettier.

I saw something about a 4 bulb LED light. What about a 4 bulb LED nanobox hybrid? I may have one I've never used that would look great over this tank :lol:

Damn it! I was gonna unload my Duo on him. Each puck is controlled seperately.

Wow, that's tempting! More details?

Want my Duo instead? *wink*wink*

• Like 2

omgomgomg a frag tank!!!!! This means you are going into the frag business? And I can buy those cute merlettis when you frag them??? fingerscrossed:lol:.

That's kind of the idea, I just could never get the 4g tank to stabilize so that I could grow out frags.

The merletties grow slowly but once this tank is going I think it will be time to frag them :D

Hmmm. I dunno. I've heard they can be mean as well. Plus, I think the coral beauty is prettier.

Damn it! I was gonna unload my Duo on him. Each puck is controlled seperately.

Want my Duo instead? *wink*wink*

I was thinking Duo until Markalot got me thinking about a hybrid :lol:

• Like 2

I've been thinking about the hybrid for my main tank. Everyone seems to love them!

They're a great option. For me the only real downside is that they are so much bigger than an LED-only light, so more of the tank is covered up. And I love looking at corals top down, especially in a shallow tank like this one. That was one of the main reasons I've started with a Kessil light, it leaves as much of the tank open as possible.

You've got mail!

I had to go back and reread your thread because I remembered seeing the light but couldn't remember the story of why you never used it! Time to play Price is Right :lol:

I picked up a new ball valve for the return, and glued it much more carefully this time. I was able to slow the return quite a bit, which helped. I also also closed the ball valve in the drain just a little bit, and then I was able to insert a short piece of airline tubing without inducing a siphon.

It's not silent but it's way more tolerable, all I really hear now is trickling water which is partly just from the water going into the overflow.

Now I need to get the MP-10 hooked up.

Oh yeah, I also just realized I didn't hook up the temperature sensor to the Apex mounted behind the stand. Arrrgh. Time to do the monkey arms thing.

This tank is gonna look sweet! :)

Yes it is! Thanks, I love it when "need to get rid of it" meets "I could really use that".

Come to papa... :wub:

• Like 3

OK, it's officially all up and running! The MP10 is hooked up and I got the Apex temperature probe hooked up too.

I did a little rearranging in the study - the bookcase was next to the tank so I had no access behind the tank. So I switched the bookcase with the little black table that the 4g tank used to sit on. Now I have easy access to the back of the tank, plus I have a handy table to do frag work on, and it doubles as a small seat in a pinch. :)

32499951841_1cb8527622_b.jpg2017-01-30 DB30 FRS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Jesus... killer light!

I agree! Markalot wanted me to get a four bulb hybrid, so that's what I did :D

jealous! this is gonna be another awesome build. i have pretty much given up on nanos. bigger the tank the better. i wont be surprised if you focus completely on your 40g and 30g in a few months =P

Ha ha, yeah I know what you mean. But the 10g sits on my desk about three feet away from me, so it usually gets the most attention. I love having it sit right where I can look at it all the time.

• Like 9

That's kind of the idea, I just could never get the 4g tank to stabilize so that I could grow out frags.

The merletties grow slowly but once this tank is going I think it will be time to frag them :D

:happydance: that makes me so happy!!!! LOL
  • Like 1

OK, it's officially all up and running! The MP10 is hooked up and I got the Apex temperature probe hooked up too. I did a little rearranging in the study - the bookcase was next to the tank so I had no access behind the tank. So I switched the bookcase with the little black table that the 4g tank used to sit on. Now I have easy access to the back of the tank, plus I have a handy table to do frag work on, and it doubles as a small seat in a pinch. :)32499951841_1cb8527622_b.jpg2017-01-30 DB30 FRS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Your tank looks real nice in that spot.

• Like 1

I'd send you some tank warming frags if I had any experience shipping. Very jealous... a killer frag tank is in my "someday when the kids are older" pile of things to do.

• Like 1