inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

Teeny, you probably already bought the paint but one thing about the color...it will look much lighter and whiter than it really is with light on it. I used the same color sandstone paint on the bottom of the tank as is on the wall behind the tank. It looks yellow on the wall but it looks soft white in the tank under the lights.

Perfect, that's the one I picked! Good timing too, as I'm going to paint it tonight. :)

A sump within a sump?!

I know, that's kind of what it looks like, isn't it? The sump itself has only two chambers. The pump box is double walled, so the water flows under the outer wall then over the inner wall, into the pump chamber itself. It's kind of a clever design in concept at least. We'll see how it works out in practice.

• Like 1

Ran out of paint just as I was finishing the second coat. I declared it "good enough" :)

32563330135_4b68a19546_b.jpg20170127_234041.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Now I need to plumb the Deep Blue pump. It's more than twice as big as I need for this tank, and it won't be positioned exactly where the Jebao pump will be when it comes in. So I decided to connect it with flexible tubing and a gate valve since it's just temporary.

After two trips to Home Depot I had everything I needed. Except the "1" threaded to 3/4" slip" reducing fitting I got actually is 3/4" threaded, so it won't fit on the pump. :angry:

Trip #3 coming up tomorrow...

• Like 3

I also cut the yoga mat to size to serve as a leveling pad:

32184199900_6f6a2af134_b.jpg20170128_000602.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And I'm considering hanging the Kessil instead of using the gooseneck, since the whole point of the Kessil is to have a light that is as small and unnoticeable as possible. I even thought of running the cabling to the ceiling. For about a second. Way too much work. I found this hanging kit on Amazon that should work perfectly. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3JCIFW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41YKHM90LEL._SY450_.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure I would put a hole in the ceiling for a kessil :wacko: now and ATI well :lol:

:P

Lol, yeah, the hole for the ATI would also be a lot bigger. This will just be three small plastic anchors since the Kessil is so light.

• Like 1

I've been working on my to do list, no particular order...

- Pick up new reducing fitting and plumb the pump

- Figure out the design of the frag rack and build it

- Cut the hole in the back of the cabinet and mount the fan

- Paint the back glass using "frosted glass" paint (might do this tonight so it's dry tomorrow) - I just thought of doing this!

- Set up the cabinet light when it shows up

- Hook up the heater

- Leak test!

I also still have a few things to figure out eventually.

- I'll be using a bio plate in the sump. Any live rock in the display or in the sump? Right now I'm thinking not, or at most, some rubble chunks for growing frags on.

- Carbon? GFO? Still not sure...

- Fish! I want a fish or two, if only to produce poop. But ideally, the fish will eat pests and algae. But the hard part is that I want to keep the tank uncovered, which really limits the kind of fish I can keep safely. I need fish that:

1. Are not notorious jumpers (so most wrasses are out)

2. Don't bother corals

3. Aren't too big for a 30g tank

4. Work for a living, either eating pests or algae

I'm not sure there are any fish that meet all these criteria - no tank top really cuts down on the options. So far the only one I've come up with is another pink streaked wrasse like I have in the 10g tank. Fitzgerald is pretty small, about 1 1/2" long, never even goes near the surface of the water, and never makes sudden jumping motions.

• Like 2

Lol, yeah, the hole for the ATI would also be a lot bigger. This will just be three small plastic anchors since the Kessil is so light.

I only have 2 small holes for my ATI...........light is 10lbs at least.............

- Paint the back glass using "frosted glass" paint (might do this tonight so it's dry tomorrow) - I just thought of doing this!

- Hook up the heater

- Leak test!

- I'll be using a bio plate in the sump. Any live rock in the display or in the sump? Right now I'm thinking not, or at most, some rubble chunks for growing frags on.

- Fish! I want a fish or two, if only to produce poop. But ideally, the fish will eat pests and algae. But the hard part is that I want to keep the tank uncovered, which really limits the kind of fish I can keep safely. I need fish that:

2. Don't bother corals

I'm not sure there are any fish that meet all these criteria - no tank top really cuts down on the options. So far the only one I've come up with is another pink streaked wrasse like I have in the 10g tank. Fitzgerald is pretty small, about 1 1/2" long, never even goes near the surface of the water, and never makes sudden jumping motions.

Just get a tang :lol:

You can get a wrasse but yes they may jump or you may get lucky and no jumpers........sixline if you ask me.

• Like 1

Yeah, sixline was my first thought. From what I hear, though, it's just a matter of time before they jump?

Well with no top I think its a matter of time no matter what you have........

I had a clown jump so go figure.

• Like 1

- Hook up the heater

- Leak test!

2. Don't bother corals

Wow teeny, you must be on the jazz about this tank! Don't you ever sleep?

• Like 1

Six line is your best bet. My midas jumped last night when I was feeding. Landed on the floor but seems to be fine afterwards. I run without a top.in my small 13 gallon fluval and my clown and neon dotty back have not jump yet. I think it all depends on luck. I would say to use a temp cover the first 2 weeks you introduce the fish.

• Like 1

Check out the Red Sea cleaner wrasse. I saw one yesterday at the lfs. Pretty sweet! They mirror possum profile but have a very distinct coloration. You could consider a tomini, knowing you are going to upgrade.

• Like 1

I think a 6 bulb would be plenty, with an 8 bulb nothing could hide from the light. A 6 bulb hybrid, with only 4 bulbs remaining plus LED pucks would be perfect. It's a pain to take top downs but the results might be worth it. :)

• Like 1

I think a 6 bulb would be plenty, with an 8 bulb nothing could hide from the light. A 6 bulb hybrid, with only 4 bulbs remaining plus LED pucks would be perfect. It's a pain to take top downs but the results might be worth it. :)

I think you've sold me, this will probably be the direction I take when I eventually upgrade the light. The Kessil will get me through the time it takes to find a decent ATI on the used market and to get Dave to retrofit the Nanobox magic.

• Like 1

Check out the Red Sea cleaner wrasse. I saw one yesterday at the lfs. Pretty sweet! They mirror possum profile but have a very distinct coloration. You could consider a tomini, knowing you are going to upgrade.

Thanks for the ideas! You're talking about the blue and blak striped fish that some people call a four line, right? It's an interesting option and very pretty, too. But they seem to be sps eaters from what I got from some quick research :(

As for the Tomini, I'm afraid of the tank police :scarry:

Seriously, though, I wonder if even a small tang would be unhappy in a 30g tank. I know having room to swim is a big deal for tangs but this tank is still only 24"x24". I'm not going to rule it out completely, though. Have to think about it some more.

My little guy drew blood the other week! :lol:

Yeah, it's funny how out of all the fish we keep, the gentle looking clowns are consistently the ones that are the scariest. At least, if you have hands :lol:

Six line is your best bet. My midas jumped last night when I was feeding. Landed on the floor but seems to be fine afterwards. I run without a top.in my small 13 gallon fluval and my clown and neon dotty back have not jump yet. I think it all depends on luck. I would say to use a temp cover the first 2 weeks you introduce the fish.

That's good advice about trying a temporary top until they used to the environment.

The other thought I've had is that maybe I should keep a few chunks of live rock in addition to the egg crate so the fish have hiding places they dive into, instead of heading for the surface when they're scared.

I did an image search for "egg crate frag rack" last night and got some truly awful results. I've realized I"m going to have to think carefully about how to set this up so it's clean and easily maintained, but not hideously ugly. Maybe a few strategically placed chunks of live rock together with egg crate racks cut in more organic shapes...

Wow teeny, you must be on the jazz about this tank! Don't you ever sleep?

I'm a night owl, I stay up late and then sleep in. Which is a problem during the week when work expects me to show up before the crack of noon :o

• Like 2

I have a small 1" tomini and it wont touch algae like my last one did :wacko: I have this green lettuce looking stuff growing in my 40 in the garage and no one eats it.........

• Like 1

I have a small 1" tomini and it wont touch algae like my last one did :wacko: I have this green lettuce looking stuff growing in my 40 in the garage and no one eats it.........

Tell him he gets no more food until he starts working for it. :owned:

Is your green lettuce stuff kind of metallic? I can't remember what it's called. I have found that sometimes if you can knock it back with manual removal, the fish and crabs will eat the shortened pieces that are left on the rocks.

I'm not completely against a small tang...or maybe a small reef-safe angelfish. My coral beauty in the 40g never touches the coral and he's very sedate and never shows any signs of jumping.

Tell him he gets no more food until he starts working for it. :owned:

Is your green lettuce stuff kind of metallic? I can't remember what it's called. I have found that sometimes if you can knock it back with manual removal, the fish and crabs will eat the shortened pieces that are left on the rocks.

I'm not completely against a small tang...or maybe a small reef-safe angelfish. My coral beauty in the 40g never touches the coral and he's very sedate and never shows any signs of jumping.

Not really but it is growing on the frag racks not really the rocks. Even the fat algae blenny laughs at the stuff and wont touch it........

I think my sailfin knocked it out last time.

• Like 1

I was skeptical when you said frosted glass back panel, but this looks fantastic! Nice work.

I say buck the police (within reason, not trolling). I don't find anything unreasonable about a smaller or juve tang in the 24x24 since people put them in 60g cubes all the time where the only difference is vertical real estate. As long as the reefer knows that the fish will move out in time.

I'm afraid to tempt the dwarf angel gods. I want one so bad but havent done it.

And yeah, I don't know much about the cleaner wrasses, just saw one for the first time and was impressed by the look.

• Like 2