2017-03-11 FTS:

2017-03-11 DB30 Top Down

2017-01-30 FRS:

32499951841_1cb8527622_b.jpg2017-01-30 DB30 FRS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

2017-01-25 FRS:

32528697315_3377c0700a_b.jpg2017-01-25 DB30 FRS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Equipment:

30g Deep Blue shallow tank and cabinet

Kessil A360WE light with Spectral Controller (current)
Nanobox T5/LED hybrid (planned, real soon now!)
Somatic modular sump with filter sock and Brightwell Bio Block
Jebao DCS2000 return pump (to be replaced by Jebao DC1200)
Coral Box D300 skimmer with Jabao DC1200 pump
2 Ecotech Vortech MP-10WQD circulation pumps
Apex adapter for Jebao pumps
Finnex 150w heater
Autoaqua Smart ATO Micro
Aquamaxx FRS-1 media reactor for carbon/gfo
Apex Jr. controller
2 BRS dosers
Aquamaxx Nano calcium reactor and CO2 regulator with 5 lb CO2 bottle
Apex PM2 module (Ph probe used to control calcium reactor)
Apex WXM module
Apex EB-8 power strip
Kindle Fire control/display for Apex

Inhabitants:
The Lorax - Starry Blenny
Hammerin' Hank - Longnose Hawk fish
Blueberry - Springer's Damsel
Connor MacLeod ("There can be only one!") - Blue Green Chromis
Doug - Leopard Toby Puffer
Thing 1 and Thing 2 - Green Banded Gobies
Creamsicle - Anthias Dispar
Peppermint shrimp, blue leg hermits, and various snails

I hope this tank is the solution to my compulsive coral collecting problem. My 40g display tank has been taken over by frag racks, and I need some place to put corals while I figure out what to do with them.

When I saw a local reefer was selling an almost-new Deep Blue 30g shallow tank with cabinet and a Somatic modular sump, I jumped on it for $225. Score! :happydance:

So far I have an empty tank and sump, and just received a Kessil light purchased from a fellow N-R member. Some of the equipment needed is in use on my 4g pico frag tank, and the rest is on order.

The pump and skimmer are being shipped from China, so it may be a couple weeks before the tank gets wet.

• Like 19

Lots of planning and building to do!

Stuff on order:

Jebao DCS2000

Coral Box D300

Jebao/Apex controller adapter

Somatic sump goodies: return pump basket and filter, sock holder, dosing tube holder, and drain cover

Finnex 150w heater

Stuff to reuse:

Apex and BRS dosers from current frag tank

Autoaqua Smart Micro ATO from current frag tank

Bio brick from current frag tank

TLF Phosban 150 reactor from my attic :)

To buy or find:

3g ATO reservoir (from Walmart)

Yoga mat (to level the tank)

Misc plumbing parts once I see how I need to plumb the tank with the pump in place, and to hook up the reactor

New sponges for the TLF reactor

To make:

Eggcrate frag rack, painted black

Install new exhaust fan

To figure out:

What to do with bare bottom - leave bare or put some kind of finish underneath, or do starboard, or what?

Need a cabinet light. I want an led light with a door - activated switch but can't find an easy setup. I thought Ben or someone posted a link to one on Amazon but I can't find it.

I'm thinking about cutting a second hole in the back of the cabinet. One hole for cables, one for an exhaust fan.

The guy I bought it from said the cabinet didn't have enough ventilation, and the hinges were all rusted as a result. I've got a fan that's completely silent so I'm thinking of just running it continuously on low speed.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure his cat peed all over and in the cabinet and tank because it smelled like it and was a nasty clean up job. So that could have caused the rust too.

• Like 3

I found that light that someone posted about from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Sensor-Under-Cabinet-Lighting/dp/B015PPQQES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485485089&sr=8-4&keywords=led+cabinet+lighting+motion+sensor

It should arrive on Saturday and hopefully it will work out well. The idea is that it turns on automatically based on a motion sensor, and stays on for four minutes after the motion stops. So it should come on when I open the door, and go off when I stop messing around in the cabinet.

• Like 1

I found that light that someone posted about from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Sensor-Under-Cabinet-Lighting/dp/B015PPQQES/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1485485089&sr=8-4&keywords=led+cabinet+lighting+motion+sensor

It should arrive on Saturday and hopefully it will work out well. The idea is that it turns on automatically based on a motion sensor, and stays on for four minutes after the motion stops. So it should come on when I open the door, and go off when I stop messing around in the cabinet.

Just get a tide on the sump and all is good ;)

Mine lights my cabinet just fine :lol:

• Like 1

Just get a tide on the sump and all is good ;)

Mine lights my cabinet just fine :lol:

I thought of you - I have two spare Nanobox Mini's that I need to list for sale :D

I love your plan! I have been thinking about buying the same tank and stand for a new display tank.

I really like the tank and stand! Very clean, good size and shape, and the quality is great.

• Like 2

I've pretty much decided to go bare bottom in this tank since it will full of frag racks and I want it to be clean. I'm thinking I'll paint the bottom (on the outside) using textured paint like Dawn did in her Seahorse Garden II tank.

I'm trying to decide between two colors/textures. The first is "Caribbean Sand", which is pretty appealing based on the name :)

020066161316sm.jpg

The second is "Ancient Sandstone" finish:

071915261800sm.jpg

The problem is that the sandstone color looks appealing in the picture of the spray can, but Lowes.com also provides an image of the finish which looks pretty different:

071915261800_07830521sm.jpg

But the Valspar site shows it like this:

11465-ancient-ruins.jpg

I suspect the image on the Lowes site is just incorrect.

I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to pick out the textured paint and PVC bits to plumb the tank.

• Like 2

hey teeny just noticed the paint you linked there is titled "ancient sandstone"

and the link you have from valspar is titled "ancient ruins" just something to double check and keep your eye on.

following along as I am about to start a new frag tank in an IM 25

• Like 1

hey teeny just noticed the paint you linked there is titled "ancient sandstone"

and the link you have from valspar is titled "ancient ruins" just something to double check and keep your eye on.

following along as I am about to start a new frag tank in an IM 25

Thanks! I suspected something was mixed up anyway.

I picked a can of the Caribbean Sand at Home Depot today, but only Lowes has the Valspar stuff so I'll go there later and see what the Ancient Ruins looks like. The Caribbean Sand is actually kind of nice up close, it looks like fine grain sand which is not a bad thing.

I do want a fairly light color so that light will reflect from the bottom to help with shadowing on the corals.

Hope you're getting an Rx for this case of MTS! :lol:

:lol: yeah, I'm definitely taking down the 4g tank to keep things under control. That way I have "only" three saltwater tanks. Plus the 90g FW tank. Ohmigosh I think I have an MTS problem...

I really like shallow tanks!

I've always loved the look ever since I saw 4x5's TOTM. It's going to be really tempting to convert this tank from a frag tank to a display tank. :)

Why isn't this wet yet?

Good question - because I'm slow and lazy. :D

The pump and skimmer have to be shipped from Hong Kong so who knows when they will show up. so I haven't been in a big rush.

BUT, in the meantime, I have an old Deep Blue submergible pump in the garage. So I'm going to try to get the tank painted and all the electronics set up in the cabinet, and then I can plumb in the pump. I'll be using a threaded union so I'll be able to take it apart and adjust the pipe lengths for the new pump once it gets there. So maybe...it will be wet sometime this weekend!

• Like 1

The Somatic sump module goodies from BRS arrived today, along with the 200w Finnex heater and some filter socks.

32438204011_f80d0d7f0d_b.jpg20170126_192844.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Somatic is made by Vertex, so the stuff isn't cheap. I don't think I would have even considered going with the Somatic sump if I hadn't gotten it pretty much for free. It's not so bad buying the $100 worth of modules needed to turn it into a real sump when that's all I have to buy. I got the filter sock bracket, drain chamber cover, pump box, pump box filter, and dosing tube holder.

32438204011_f80d0d7f0d_b.jpg20170126_192844.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

It may be expensive, but they definitely give you your money's worth in the packaging. The boxes are super nice and everything is super padded and clean. Even their filter sock comes in a pretentious little hand bag :lol:

32438204921_5c6ca502a8_b.jpg20170127_184944.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

On the other hand, the sump looks nice, with smoked acrylic, and it's very small which is nice in a 24"x24" cabinet.

31716846914_e8eb308537_b.jpg20170127_165513.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

Good luck with the build, looks like fun!

Just being honest, and a grumpy old man, but I do not like the lighting choice. Someone needs to twist your arm hard enough to get a hybrid LED+T5 fixture, especially for this format. :) With your talent + T5 we would have lots and lots of pictures to drool over.

• Like 7

Good luck with the build, looks like fun!

Just being honest, and a grumpy old man, but I do not like the lighting choice. Someone needs to twist your arm hard enough to get a hybrid LED+T5 fixture, especially for this format. :) With your talent + T5 we would have lots and lots of pictures to drool over.

As a fellow grumpy old man, I totally get it :lol:

I really do want to do a hybrid at some point. For some reason, I've just always liked the look of the Kessils, both the color and the form factor. I love that I can look at the tank from top down and not have the light get in the way at all.

But it's probably not going to be strong enough for SPS, or only strong enough in the middle of the tank. I think the Kessil light is just something I have to try and get it out of my system. :)

I'm really undecided about doing a hybrid on this tank, though. A 24" ATI with Nanobox retro would completely cover this tank, since it's 24x24. I love the look of a rimless tank with a smaller light fixture.

Do you think a 4 or 6 bulb ATI would work over this tank since it's shallow? I think I could live with it if it wasn't the 8-bulb one that would pretty much turn into a tank hood.

525 XL just go big or go home :lol:

Yeah, my next tank is going to be big, at least 80g. I have a nice stand already built for my 90g FW tank, but it's an ancient scratched up tank. An 80g Deep Blue rimless is the exact same size, just not as tall, which is good. Plus I love the rimless look.

• Like 4

I've pretty much decided to go bare bottom in this tank since it will full of frag racks and I want it to be clean. I'm thinking I'll paint the bottom (on the outside) using textured paint like Dawn did in her Seahorse Garden II tank.

I'm trying to decide between two colors/textures. The first is "Caribbean Sand", which is pretty appealing based on the name :)

020066161316sm.jpg

The second is "Ancient Sandstone" finish:

071915261800sm.jpg

The problem is that the sandstone color looks appealing in the picture of the spray can, but Lowes.com also provides an image of the finish which looks pretty different:

071915261800_07830521sm.jpg

But the Valspar site shows it like this:

11465-ancient-ruins.jpg

I suspect the image on the Lowes site is just incorrect.

I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to pick out the textured paint and PVC bits to plumb the tank.

Teeny, you probably already bought the paint but one thing about the color...it will look much lighter and whiter than it really is with light on it. I used the same color sandstone paint on the bottom of the tank as is on the wall behind the tank. It looks yellow on the wall but it looks soft white in the tank under the lights.

• Like 1