Pod Your Reef

NanoBox Unit Maintenance : Keep It Clean!

DaveFason

After receiving units in for trade-in, upgrades and repair I have seen some gnarly stuff. The amount of grime and grit that gets in the units is unreal. This maintenance plan will have your NanoBox unit working efficiently as possible.

Two simple items. Clean your fan and splash guard. If you do this once everyone two-four months you will help your NanoBox unit and tank out.

First, take the NanoBox lid off and clean with a q-tip. This will ensure your fan is working as efficiently as it can and nothing is blocking the heatsink fins.

BEFORE :

31712640913_520a981eb1_z.jpg

AFTER :

31712640873_06ab41a154_z.jpg

Second, use a small amount of vinegar on a paper towel and wipe your splash guard off. This will ensure your LEDs are working as efficiently as possible. Blocking light will only decrease PAR values.

BEFORE :

32402299491_14b1acbe72_z.jpg

32524676305_dc56552ed1_z.jpg

AFTER :

31712641843_92aaba7a55_z.jpg

Hope this helps! Now go check yours!

-Dave

• Like 8

One important note... gently wedge a q-tip or something into the fan to keep it from spinning while spraying it with the compressed air. Those things easily run as generators when spun and can fry fan speed controllers.

Also, won't a paper towel possibly scratch the slashguard (assuming it's plexi/acrylic)?

Edit: Ninja'd by jedimasterben. :ninja:

• Like 2

Micro fiber FTW!

Now I'm shamed into cleaning up my lights. I have to admit I've only cleaned the splash guard once on my wide quad since I got it :blush:

• Like 2

It is amazing how much splash gets on there. Incredible!

Micro fiber FTW!

Now I'm shamed into cleaning up my lights. I have to admit I've only cleaned the splash guard once on my wide quad since I got it :blush:

Ha! I am sure my personal Duo looks like an ape as of now. Cleaning now!

My vents are all full of Persian cat hair!

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Boosting this thread back up.  This was after cleaning some of it out! 

Use compressed air, screw driver or anything to clean the fan out once every few months. You would be amazed what gets collected under the hood. 

30201218618_11ebc9e890_b.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:59 AM, DaveFason said:

Boosting this thread back up.  This was after cleaning some of it out! 

Use compressed air, screw driver or anything to clean the fan out once every few months. You would be amazed what gets collected under the hood. 

30201218618_11ebc9e890_b.jpg

Amen to what you will find. I just checked my Biocube retro and found one of those big black ants in it......

On 8/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, basser1 said:

Amen to what you will find. I just checked my Biocube retro and found one of those big black ants in it......

Ha! I have found gnats, spiders and the ultimate A ROACH in customers units. Who knows. 

-Dave