ReefCleaners.org

IM Nuvo Fusion 10 BT - Denise's Office Tank - 3/25 FTS and Rhodactis

dmw913

Reefkeeper arrived today! I got the Marine Depot exclusive which is the lite version + the pH module. One small hiccup - one of the included bus cables is only 3 feet which is not long enough so I have ordered a longer one. The good news: I had already hung a magnetic board behind the tank before the tank was even installed. Using some clips I already had, the Reefkeeper fits beautifully on the board!

Skimmer continues to work flawlessly. The skimmate is pretty wet and drains quite well which was a concern.

I have added a fire goby as well as a ricordea yuma. Both seem to be doing well. The clown is picking on the goby a bit but it seems to have settled down on day 2.

Had some ATO stress. The pump was not triggering even though the float was clearing at the bottom of its range. Fought with it for several days and even talked about an RMA to Bulk Reef. Last ditch effort, I unhooked the electrical connections in the pinch connectors and reset them. It appears to be functioning properly now. Whew! That little tank can't make it over the weekend without it!

I'll finish setting up the Reefkeeper on Monday and post a new shot to show how I've got the controller mounted.

SURVEYMAN46123

Sounds like you are rolling along. I have the same ATO and will pay close attention when hooking up the electrical connections. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the skimmer I like the look of it and am curious to see how well it continues to break in. My plan is to keep 3 fish eventually and would like to see if there is an added benefit adding the skimmer.

Reefkeeper arrived today! I got the Marine Depot exclusive which is the lite version + the pH module. One small hiccup - one of the included bus cables is only 3 feet which is not long enough so I have ordered a longer one. The good news: I had already hung a magnetic board behind the tank before the tank was even installed. Using some clips I already had, the Reefkeeper fits beautifully on the board!

Skimmer continues to work flawlessly. The skimmate is pretty wet and drains quite well which was a concern.

I have added a fire goby as well as a ricordea yuma. Both seem to be doing well. The clown is picking on the goby a bit but it seems to have settled down on day 2.

Had some ATO stress. The pump was not triggering even though the float was clearing at the bottom of its range. Fought with it for several days and even talked about an RMA to Bulk Reef. Last ditch effort, I unhooked the electrical connections in the pinch connectors and reset them. It appears to be functioning properly now. Whew! That little tank can't make it over the weekend without it!

I'll finish setting up the Reefkeeper on Monday and post a new shot to show how I've got the controller mounted.

Good to hear about the Reefkeeper! I think it is rather underrated simply because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the Apex does but for the price it can't be beat. If it had built in wifi (the net module has terrible reviews) then it would be incredible.

Sounds like you are rolling along. I have the same ATO and will pay close attention when hooking up the electrical connections. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the skimmer I like the look of it and am curious to see how well it continues to break in. My plan is to keep 3 fish eventually and would like to see if there is an added benefit adding the skimmer.

On an unrelated note, are you a land surveyor by chance?

New FTS and pic showing the Reefkeeper mounting posted at top. I put in a frag of monti cap and really don't feel like there is enough flow for it. Caved and ordered an MP10 which will be here early next week. Didn't get the wireless one as Reefkeeper doesn't support. New fish and clown have made peace but I don't see the goby a lot as he like to hang out in the middle of the rock structure. However, he comes out off and on and eats every day so that's just how it goes. Reefkeeper setup went fairly well although it took forever to calibrate the pH probe. Skimmer continues to pull out skimmate. Probably about 1/4 c. per week which I don't think is bad.

Most interesting update: Got a frag this week that held 3 rhodactis 'shrooms on it. Not ultra by any means but some decent orange coloring around the edges. When they got settled into my tank I noticed all three had some enlarged vesicles a la bounce shrooms! Will be really fun as they get bigger, I hope! Will post a pic when I can take a decent one.

SURVEYMAN46123

Denise,

Looking great! Sucks to hear about the flow, but you should be doing well once the MP10 arrives. I have the same pump and spinstream, however I'm not planning any SPS coral. I guess if I want to go down that road one day I will know ahead of time I wont have enough flow.

Bounce shrooms eh? Nice little surprise there. Looking forward to photos.

• 2 weeks later...

2/21/2017 update:  Razor blades and airstones

1.  Tunze Nano ATO continues to be faulty.  Roger is sending me replacement parts.  He has been great to work with!  

2.  Firefish is alive and kicking even though Bob the clown is a bastard and hassles her.  They are working it out.

3.  Ordered replacement limewood airstones for the skimmer from Ebay.  Much cheaper than name brand with quick delivery.  That's the good news...  The bad news is that the corners have to be shaved slightly for it to fit in the skimmer.  That's the neutral news... Unfortunately, those of us that were not boy scouts thought we could achieve this modification by raking a razor blade down the edge of the airstone toward me...the fleshy part of my hand below my thumb now has a nice, deep gash in it and folks at work thought I was trying to create a crime scene...

Pics tomorrow at work. :)

Eeek! I'm cringing just thinking about it :(

I found I could make the airstones last a lot longer by just scraping the flat parts with a razor blade to scrape off the softened wood. What once lasted three to four weeks lasted months instead, as long as I scraped it once or twice a month.

Teeny, this still puts a razor blade in my hands and I'm clearly not capable...lol!  My office mates were much more bothered than I was after a moment.  We don't often get a lot of blood flying around just sitting at our desks.  ;P

3/25 Update:  Tank continues to chug along.  Adding the MP10 was a good move as it helps keep enough flow in the random directions to keep things happy.  Glass skimmer is fine but finicky.  As the airstone swells / gets older, you have to tune the skimmer regularly.  Have just added it to regular maintenance schedule.  I was away on a work trip so my colleague fed the fish.  As you would expect, things were a little green when I returned due to presumed overfeeding.  Sadly, the montipora may not survive the increased nitrates from that one.  Below is a FTS from today (a little cloudy due to cleaning) and a close-up of the rhodactis 'shroom with enlarged vesicle.  

IMG_6941.JPG.jpeg

IMG_6942.JPG.jpeg

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT:  Husband is a rock star and has approved new tank for home.  I have settled on Red Sea Reefer 250 and have begun the build process.  I will start build thread today and put link in signature if anyone would like to follow along/provide advice or make fun of any number of stupid things I do along the way.  

gone_PHiSHin

so overall would you recommend the reef glass skimmer?  i think i'm about to pull the trigger on one.  i want a simple, low profile skimmer for my IM10 that fits well without effecting my other stuff back there.  this one seems to be my best bet.

can you give me a pros/cons or something after using it for some time?  appreciate any insight!

On 4/2/2017 at 3:30 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

so overall would you recommend the reef glass skimmer?  i think i'm about to pull the trigger on one.  i want a simple, low profile skimmer for my IM10 that fits well without effecting my other stuff back there.  this one seems to be my best bet.

can you give me a pros/cons or something after using it for some time?  appreciate any insight!

I'm in the same boat. Was looking at this one when OP bought it originally and have just been waiting for an update. They seem pretty simple but wasn't sure how effective they actually were. I know there are a few other ones but the price is just way too high for a piece of glass tubing.

gone_PHiSHin

yeah i do feel like the price is a little high for what you're getting, especially since you have to buy an air pump.  

the trade off for me is the simplicity, the fact it fits nicely back there without sticking up too high, and the collection cup would be hidden away in my stand. 

Archived