Coral Vue Hydros

very little red "worm"?

FollyFish

I found it on the glass and it's has been in about the same spot for two days. It looks like a red slug/worm. I have pics that I took with my macro lens. Real size is about the top of a small nail head. I found it with some copepods (at least I think they are copepods). Just wondering if I have a big problem or if I can leave it.

IMG_50001_zpss25vyzxl.jpg

GunslingerGirl

That's a flatworm. I recommend suctioning all that you can see out and then dosing flatworm exit if you can (I think it can effect other critters in the tank...not positive on that though as I have never used it)

If it came in on corals or a new purchase I recommend dipping all future purchases. There are some great threads on here that can tell you the various methods and pros and cons for each method.

Hope you can get rid of them!

That's a flatworm. I recommend suctioning all that you can see out and then dosing flatworm exit if you can (I think it can effect other critters in the tank...not positive on that though as I have never used it)

If it came in on corals or a new purchase I recommend dipping all future purchases. There are some great threads on here that can tell you the various methods and pros and cons for each method.

Hope you can get rid of them!

Thanks for the info.

I got rid of the bug. So its a good news bad news kinda thing. That is the only one I have seen but that being the case I am a firm believer that if there is one than there are more. So I'm going to pick up some flatworm exit on my way home from work tomorrow.

I have been doing a freshwater dip on any new corals but I no longer think that is good enough. So I'm going to look into other treatments for future corals.

Swing2Harmony

I used Flatworm exit and they went away for couple of months, but came back. This happened a few times until the last time when I followed it up with a second treatment just a week after the first one and now there is no sign of them.

I went to my LFS and spoke to a guy there that really knows his stuff. He told me that because I have only found two (found another after I had finished posting) that I should start with a Coral Rx dip on everything in the tank (live rock, corals, pumps etc.) before going to Flatworm exit. He told me in my case using Flatworm exit would be an extreme over-kill a bit like using a bomb to remodel a house.

So I spent 3 hours today putting everything into a Coral Rx dip for 15 mins before giving it a saltwater rinse. Good thing its only at 25G tank with 24lbs of live rock or it would have taken me forever. I also took some of the time to clean up a bubble algae problem that I have been having. I didn't get it all but its a little better.

Now everything is back into the tank and is very unhappy with me. Since the corals are letting mucus go I think that I am going to do another water change tomorrow and see what happens. It might also help with the cloudy water from stirring up the sand bed when I was placing everything back into the tank. I also think that I will need to reintroduce some bacteria and copepods to the tank.

He also suggest that I get a Springer Damsel for future pest problems. Right now I have a Black Ice Clownfish, a Lubbock Fairy Wrasse, a Tailspot Blenny and a Fire Shrimp. I have room for a little fish just not sure if I want to add a 4th fish in such a small tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies. I did the coral dip on all the of live rocks and coral and other then the original two that I found I haven't seen any more. So I'm hoping that it saw the start of an out brake and not the middle.

Wait, you dipped all of your live rocks in Coral Rx?

I was told that by dipping the live rocks and corals in the Coral Defense the flatworms would release from anything that they were attached too and I would be able to get rid of them. Or at least that was the theory.

Archived