SaltCritters.com

Fact or Fiction (The SCWD)

pos_user

I put this in the advanced forum because atleast 30% of our members wont know what the hell the SCWD is. So to save useless posts, i posted in here.

I was at my LFS today, good guys...about 10 55g Reef tanks, always a great source for anything. And i noticed a 5 gallon nano they had running. Stocked with corals and looked really nice...

um...yeah, my point is. They had a scwd hooked up to a mag 2.5(?) and drilled pvc. Nice setup - I noticed he went barebottom and he told me the reason was because its a (and i quote) "A cardinal sin to use the scwd with sanded bottoms". His reasoning was that the sand could get caught up through the intake (closed loop) and ruin the scwd. Which probably is right, but havent you guys seen scwds in nano's and larger tanks with a sandbed? I know i have. As long as you have the intake tube high enough where sand cant accidentaly get sucked up...you should be ok.

Anyone else want to share their knowledge, experience, ignorance...lol :)

I'm interested in getting one, so that is the reason for my inquiry.

Peace and A$$ grease.

i havnt ever heard of the whole sand thing....but that is interesting though since i'll be setting one up in the next months. i'm gonna go with the "just put the intake higher and use a sponge if you want."

i'll also be doing the intake in the back compartment of a nano cube so i suppose there is even less to worry about. of course i will not be doing it in line so i figured that i didnt need pvc on the intake, but perhaps i do if the whole sand thing is true.

p.s. yes i know the mag 5 wont fit in the back compartment-i've been looking for other pumps that would work well and i've found a few that fit but i'm not sure wich one would be the best....ideas anyone?

if it wont fit in the back compartment, you can always make it an external pump and have a closed loop system. It will require additional tubing since its outside of the tank...but anything less than a mag5 might not be worth it considering the loss of strength once it hits the scwd. Also depends on what size your tank is, and if you are looking for high or medium flow.

Anyway, i think the LFS cat was just being too paranoid. If the intake is up high, there should be no problems. Do we worry about sand getting in our Powerheads ? No, because we all have never seen sand floating around on the top 3 inches of the tank...unless someone is deliberatly making sand castles in our tank. :)

yeah, just try to avoid putting the close loop inlet into the sand bed and you should be fine :D :D

I'm sure the dude at the LFS just had a bad experience, or some genius customer who managed to gum one up with sand :D

-skeletor-

skeletor, you're right. Calcium deposits will be a problem. But that happens with any kind of tubing for our tanks. It would definately alter the results after a while...

Well I have a sand bed, and im still gonna use the scwd. I will have the intake high up and there should be no problems...hopefully :)

I've been running a SCWD since they came out on the market. I've never cleaned it and it hasn't failed me yet and that's been about a year and a half...somewhere around there.

Yeah he probably had a bad experience with debris with the scwd.

I have one and set it up for closed loop based on Melev's how to (with a few tweaks) but never installed it. May have to on the 20L though. http://www.melevsreef.com/how_to_build.html

White vinegar and hot water baths are a life saver for sw products. I soak and clean all of my PH's, heaters, etc. every 6 months and it makes quite a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

birdman's post can attribute to just how much flow you lose from using the SCWD, lol. not that losing flow is necesarily a bad thing though, as long as you accomodate it by using a bigger pump :D

Jason

Originally posted by holyherbiness

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

I learned all about the scwd here =)

This guy has the intake higher than his substrate, and it looks like he has no problems.

Marc has now moved everything out of his tanks and into a bigger one (120, if I recall from the last meeting). He still has a SCWD (same one, in fact) and uses it without any problems.

I had a SCWD hooked up a while back, and eventually, CA deposits took it out of commission. I'll probabbly reinstate it in the new tank when I figure out a place for it, but for now, it's just sitting. We'll see what happens.

Good Luck!

-q

I took apart a SCWD a couple months ago, because that's the way I am, and I do they they designed it quite well to avoid debris jams. The mechanism is well-protected from the waterflow, and the water chambers have extra clearance and always have a little flow going through them, preventing particles from getting caught in them as they rotate.

I haven't heard of any complaints about stuff getting jammed in them, but I'm sure it's happened to at least a few people. Nothing's flawless. Maybe this store had some bad luck, or maybe they just assumed there was potential for the problem, feeling it was common sense.

I can never get my SCWD to work for more than a half turn or so. It has been that way since new, unfortunatly i don't have the recipt, so I think i'm screwed. I like to whack on it and see it get going though. Would work great if it worked, i'm sure.

the sand is prob not a issue. mine stoped switching once so I gave it the ol dtap tap and well there must have been ditrus cloging it up cause when I "taped" it it knocked the stuff loose and shot it all over my tank but no prob since then I would recomend some kind of pre filter even though many people don't run one . oh yea I am running one now(prefilter)

Archived