ReefCleaners.org

I have no respect for copycats!

Oceanbox Designs

Oceanbox Designs
It's sad that this has come to my attention. Thanks to a good friend!! This hobby is all about having fun, enjoying what we created, and be supportive, especially to small family run businesses. While many of us worked hard to earn what we deserved, others tried to steal our work as their own.
The word "patented" came to mind but it came down to just a disgrace and a low standard to any legit and honest businesses. The lack of creativity doesn't gain anyone the rights to steal, copyrighted or not! I believe we have a strong community in this hobby, please be aware and help spread the words to protect honest businesses like me. If you see my products sold anywhere unauthorized or even resemble similarity, please feel free to contact the owner (Phuong) at: https://oceanboxdesigns.com/contact/
My original tank posts (Dated Sept, 2015):
The rightful original owner of this tank custom designed for his YouTube channel, George from CoralFish12g​:
Post by a guy name "Mike Roland" from U.K. as his work discovered in "Reef Community Wordwide" Facebook group but I'm sure this was not the only one. He has been posting 3D CAD draws of other sump designs in different reef groups, I highly doubt they're his designs by the nature of this action.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1056198404450440/search/?query=mike%20roland&hc_location=ufi

32425949785_e8626e5f89_b.jpg

32047862450_5fb0b2a409_b.jpg

Ive seen this posted by someone on one of the UK facebook groups im on. Cant remember which. Ive just been hunting, trying to find it. When/if I do ill screenshot it so you can see the details.

Oceanbox Designs

Ive seen this posted by someone on one of the UK facebook groups im on. Cant remember which. Ive just been hunting, trying to find it. When/if I do ill screenshot it so you can see the details.

I really appreciate it! I'm sure he has posted it in more than one groups or forum across the world and I can't get to all of them but the point to let words out and hoping he will change his mind about this business model.

Hi ocean box designs, i saw your tank design same as your picture in AI prime reef group on Facebook today. if you head over there and ask the administrators Marcus or Pistol, im sure they will be able to remove it.

Wow, there are a bunch attempting to get into the custom nano tanks that he could have easily changed up SOME of the design to make it less noticeable! I think the only part they changed was the removable baffles were cut different.

I wish you the best.

Oceanbox Designs

Thanks guys!! Let's be clear about one thing, I now that this will not stop anyone from copying our products or anyone's else but the point is to get words out and hoping people like him will start steering in a different direction for a better business model.

Hey Oceanbox. Don't know if u have a "Trademark" (I do see a TM for the logo) But, do ur products have "Copyrights" for ur Tank's Designs? Is there a way to go after the "Copy Cats" legally?

It's sick to see that others are copying what u folks have worked hard to design and Market a quality product.

On a footnote, I guess u could say, is that they want to copy u because of this unique and in demand for such a product.

(Hope u understand what I am trying to say, regarding the footnote.)

Hey Oceanbox - you definitely need to start filing some patents with the US Patent office. That will stop EXACT duplicates and then a simple cease and desist letter threatening legal action should take of it. Note that they could still get around your patent with a change to the design.

Oceanbox Designs

Hey Oceanbox. Don't know if u have a "Trademark" (I do see a TM for the logo) But, do ur products have "Copyrights" for ur Tank's Designs? Is there a way to go after the "Copy Cats" legally?

It's sick to see that others are copying what u folks have worked hard to design and Market a quality product.

On a footnote, I guess u could say, is that they want to copy u because of this unique and in demand for such a product.

(Hope u understand what I am trying to say, regarding the footnote.)

I understand perfectly your point, this guy is actually from the UK so it's useless with US laws here. However I have ways to prove the I'm the original creator of my products legally. I'm sure not all of the products out there are patented however that doesn't give anyone's right to copy for lack of creativity. I take it that it must be an extremely cool product for someone to literally want to clone it. But little did he know, this will only make me stronger and be better. One thing I know for sure is that I constantly creating, update and improve my products and stay on top with customer service, that can't be imitated in any practical ways.

Oceanbox Designs

Hey Oceanbox - you definitely need to start filing some patents with the US Patent office. That will stop EXACT duplicates and then a simple cease and desist letter threatening legal action should take of it. Note that they could still get around your patent with a change to the design.

I'm well aware however patents cost a lot of money and I might as well be out of business by the time I pay off those costs, which leave me at a no good point. However should the situation arise for court order, I do have legal ways to prove that I'm the original creator. The moral of this is copycats are out there, it can't be stopped without spending a fortune for lawyer, etc. The only thing left is to do is to stay on top of the game and be better in every possible way, literally making it hard to duplicate for any legit business. It's always good to spread word and take action regardless so he doesn't do the same to other people.

Anyway, I've responded to his post and sent him a PM and for now he has deleted all said content. I'm sure guys like this doesn't last long if he keep sticking to the copycats business model.

Cheers to the rest of us honest business and entrepreneur!

Wow, there are a bunch attempting to get into the custom nano tanks that he could have easily changed up SOME of the design to make it less noticeable! I think the only part they changed was the removable baffles were cut different.

I wish you the best.

This was actually the first custom AIO design of mine I built for George (aka CoralFish12g ) and there is going to be a new updated retail version coming out soon. I found a small flaw of the original design I didn't like, I bet the copycat didn't know that for sure! That's why staying on top of the game and keeping products updated is critical in this business.

Stealing your designs sucks but I'd say more than likely your design is not novel from prior art and could not be protected by a patent. Just keep making quality products.

Oceanbox Designs

Stealing your designs sucks but I'd say more than likely your design is not novel from prior art and could not be protected by a patent. Just keep making quality products.

That's very true! Not everything can be patented, the AIO concept has been existed but cloning the design down to the details (split eurobraces, baffles, media trays, and even the color) not only a disgrace to similar businesses in this hobby but the thought of such a low moral of any legit business shouldn't even begin to exist, copyrighted or not.

Seafurn, TY! I could not think of the word "Patent" I was trying my best to think of that word but instead, had to try and convey

my thoughts regarding "Copying" other's works.

Stumbled on this by accident but really puts jebao and other obvious knockoff products that many of us use (myself included) into perspective. Someone put in the hard work to make them and if they had any reasonable means of fighting it, they definitely would be.

I've dealt with trademark and copyright disputes of my own work a number of times and it's cost-prohibitive if not simply impossible to fight especially when it becomes international.

So sorry this is happening. I hope karma kicks in and he gets ruined in the end. Having your own business is hard enough. Everyone seems very happy with your craftsmanship and service. Keep up the good work and I am sure your customers will stay loyal.

Oceanbox Designs

Thank you everyone! I will continue to work hard and earn what is rightfully mine. The outcome of this post isn't about fighting this guy in a legal manner, this is about blasting this this guy and the nature of his action and guys like him everywhere possible to protect honest businesses like us. I believe we have a strong community in this hobby and usually what goes around turns around.

That really sucks, hopefully that will be the end for a while. Unfortunately, no good design will go on forever without being copied and patents are really only useful for those with large legal budgets. Patents can cost many thousands to get, then 10X that to enforce. Best to stay ahead and be a good company with a good reputation

flatlandreefer

Yeah it definitely sucks that somebody is copying your product but you have a brand behind your product that should bring value to what you are selling vs your knockoff competitors, its not that much different than dozens of online sites as well as all of the LFS selling genetically identical livestock while implementing different marketing strategies.

That's very true! Not everything can be patented, the AIO concept has been existed but cloning the design down to the details (split eurobraces, baffles, media trays, and even the color) not only a disgrace to similar businesses in this hobby but the thought of such a low moral of any legit business shouldn't even begin to exist, copyrighted or not.

Sorry that happened. If you are curious here are the results of all the Patents in the USPTO containing the word "Aquarium" and either "AIO, filtration, or nano".

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PTXT&Query=ttl%2F%28aquarium+and+%28AIO+or+nano+or+filtration%29%29

the thing you need to know and remember is when someone tries to claim something that is not theirs as theirs, in a community such as this, its found out fast. I had an instance where someone tried to claim my art as theirs and the community - a forum I was not even part of, stood up and called them out. knowing who I was and knew who they were not.

you have a brand and a name that is known.

Oceanbox Designs

That really sucks, hopefully that will be the end for a while. Unfortunately, no good design will go on forever without being copied and patents are really only useful for those with large legal budgets. Patents can cost many thousands to get, then 10X that to enforce. Best to stay ahead and be a good company with a good reputation

I agreed to stay in the leads! I know I can count on Nano-reef. It is settled then to just be original. No amount of patents can magically protect anything from copycats without paying hefty up front costs to fight it, I rest my case and no more objection ;):lol:

Oceanbox Designs

I feel your pain! One of the reasons I had to end my endevers. Just never stop innovating and the copycats won't be able to keep up!

Totally agreed! It's too bad you had to, I was looking forward to working with you for a few projects I had in mind.

Archived