ReefCleaners.org

Alkalinity is consumed VERY fast

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

My alkalinity is consumed rapidly. I've always had a hard time keeping it at the right level so I finally got some Kalkwasser to maintain it. So I've been working on getting my Ca and Alk to the right levels before I start using it. My Ca is fine, probably between 450-500. A little high, I know. But my Alk...well, yesterday, I dosed and got it up to 8.7 (measured at 9:30am). This morning, I measured again, at 9:30, and my Alk is down to 7. It's consumed faster than the recommend safe dosing amount per day of 1.4!

Is that normal? I've got several LPS colonies, mainly Euphyllia. So you can understand my need to have consistent Alk. I'll admit, I'm a lazy reefer...I've been doing this for a few years but am only now getting into daily dosing. Better late than never.

I suppose I'll get my Alk up to around 9 or 10 and then switch my ATO water to Kalk. I've got a database somewhere of how often my ATO turns on and for how long, so I can roughly estimate how much Kalk I'll need to add.

What's magnesium sitting at?

Also, the 1.4dKH limit is supposed to be spread out over 24 hours; it's not the amount you can add at once.

The tank can use as much alk as it wants, and you can dose throughout the day according to usage, then incorporate a little extra (still throughout the day) so that by the end of the day, 'alk added' is 1dKH more than 'alk used'.

I would simply switch away from kalk and just use 2 part with 2 dosing pumps. This way you can increase your alk dose without having to worry about Ca going through the roof. A bit more complicated and work but I find it easier in the long run.

I don't like your plan, and I don't like your target Alk. :)

First off, more natural levels of Alk will tend to have less issues in the long run. High Alk levels is the product of a bygone era, in my opinion, when most tanks ran at elevated PO4 and NO3 levels. It's unfortunate many salts have a high KH.

Saturated Kalk, 2 tsp / gallon of RODI, is enough to hold my 150 gallon tank at 6.7 KH with occasional 2 part dosing. As my acros grow bigger I will need to supplement with 2 part. I use a timed topoff system, 1 minute every 15 minutes, and adjust for evaporation with a cooling fan or manually topping off if the level gets too low. My tank has plexiglass lids that limit evaporation.

Alk and Calcium need to stay in a natural balance. Alk moving 2 KH is equivalent to calcium moving 10 or 20 or even less than our hobby test kits can detect. Uneven dosing can lead to all kinds of issues. Make sure you are using a balanced 2 part that expects equal part dosing and dose both parts based on the KH test from your tank.

ReefSafeSolutions

Right, so first off, magnesium is around 1350-1400.

What's magnesium sitting at?

Also, the 1.4dKH limit is supposed to be spread out over 24 hours; it's not the amount you can add at once.

The tank can use as much alk as it wants, and you can dose throughout the day according to usage, then incorporate a little extra (still throughout the day) so that by the end of the day, 'alk added' is 1dKH more than 'alk used'.

Second off...I'm confused. I *think* you're saying that at the end of the day, don't increase Alk more than 1.4dKH than what the day started at. Yes? So, say I start the day at 8dKH, and the tank uses 2dKH throughout the day. I can dose (not necessarily all at once) 3.4dKH of Alk without going over the 1.4dKH limit. Am I understanding you correctly?

Third...I don't plan on having any SPS in my tank. This is a strongly Euphyllia dominated tank, with some other species of LPS (duncan, acans, etc.). So based off my research, using kalk in my ATO should hopefully remedy the issue.

Also, my Alk goal of 9-10 is strictly based on the recommendations on the Red Sea instructions. They recommend 12dKH for LPS, I believe. But it sounds like there's no need to go that high.

No need at all, but it does match their product. :)

As for Alk movement, the amount you dose does not matter as long at Alk in the tank does not move more than, say, .25 KH a day or less. If your tank needs 50ml a day you need to dose 50ml a day just to keep Alk steady. What you need to do is calculate daily usage via KH drop and start from there.

So if your Alk drops 1KH a day figure out how much 2 part that is and dose daily to match the usage. I doubt you actually drop over 1KH a day, but if you do then you will want to dose a few times a day to keep it steady. Think of the animal in the tank. It doesn't want to see sudden changes in Alk, your job is to keep it steady. If it falls 1.7 KH a day and you keep dosing to raise it back to 8 you will have a lot of dead corals sooner or later. I suspect you tested too soon after dosing and got a false high reading but I am not familiar with your tank.

My tank would easily drop fast if I didn't dose constantly.

ReefSafeSolutions

I waited around 30 minutes after dosing to test the first day, and then didn't dose this morning to see how much it had fallen. I'll try again tomorrow morning and the morning after to see if I get a similar reading.

I wouldn't be surprised if it really drops 1.7dKH a day though...for some reason this tank burns through Alk really quick. It seems like every time I test, I'm below 6dKH, even after taking a couple of weeks to get it back up to where it should be. Test a week later, right back down to the 5-6 range.

I like my alk 9-10 and my corsls have been better since changing to red sea coral pro.

I use esv bionic liquid 2 part doser so that my ca and alk stay balanced.

Have you tested your waterchange water to see what alk is at? If it mixes low then at the beginning of the week right from water change you may be starting out with lower alk levels so when its consumed, it hits really low levels like 5-6.

ReefSafeSolutions

I like my alk 9-10 and my corsls have been better since changing to red sea coral pro.

I use esv bionic liquid 2 part doser so that my ca and alk stay balanced.

Have you tested your waterchange water to see what alk is at? If it mixes low then at the beginning of the week right from water change you may be starting out with lower alk levels so when its consumed, it hits really low levels like 5-6.

Last time we tested the salt mix, it was around 9dKH I believe.

Maybe Euphyllia consume a lot of Alk? I'm not sure what's causing it to go so fast but it's getting a little ridiculous and I need it much more stable.

My suggestion is to test your Freshly Mixed salt water for Alk levels, with a Quality test kit. Test your tank after a regular water change, then test every day at the same time of day, for the next 5 days - 7 days, Documenting your daily test results. This will establish you a baseline for an accurate tank consumption. Yes, your Alk will drop for a week, but it will give you the necessary numbers that you need.

Then, as Mark stated, calculate how much 2 part it will take Daily to maintain a steady Alk number, be it 7,8,9,10. Dose that equal part daily and keep monitoring. Steady Alk is the key, as stated above my the OP.

My tank consumes .5 DKH a day, LPS dominant. Coralline Algae really does consume a lot of Alk. :)

Coralline Algae really does consume a lot of Alk. :)

Yes it does............I learned this the hard way and had alk drop really fast.............

ReefSafeSolutions

Now that's something I hadn't considered. I have seen a lot of coralline growth the past couple of months. I still need to get my Alk more stable but that bit about the coralline algae puts my mind a bit more at ease.

I'll do a water change tomorrow and test my Alk over the next several days at the same time to get my baseline. Thanks everyone!

Now that's something I hadn't considered. I have seen a lot of coralline growth the past couple of months. I still need to get my Alk more stable but that bit about the coralline algae puts my mind a bit more at ease.

I'll do a water change tomorrow and test my Alk over the next several days at the same time to get my baseline. Thanks everyone!

"Test at the same time daily" This really is an important part to establishing a baseline consumption.

• 2 weeks later...
ReefSafeSolutions

OK, I'm at a loss. Did my water change, measured the Alk later that night. 7dKH. Measure the next day, same time. 6.4dKH. The next day. 6.4dKH. Next day, 5.4dKH. I'll test again tonight, but I suspect it's gonna be pretty dang low. Getting too low for my comfort level. I don't get how the Alk wasn't even consumed for one of the days.

The inconsistency is driving me nuts. I don't want my alk to go much lower than it already is.

Obviously, alk is being used. Likely around .5-.6dKH is being used a day. The Red Sea test kit is a tough one to read for alk since the color change is very gradual. I'm thinking if I set up my ATO with enough Kalk to maintain 0.5dKH a day, I should be in better shape.

Do it, but keep testing. If phosphates rise they can inhibit calcification, which might explain the pause in alk usage.

trust me, I just nuked my tank

ReefSafeSolutions

Interesting bit about the phosphates. Do I need to wait until I get my alk back up to a normal level before doing the Kalk, or since I have a decent idea of how alk is consumed, is it OK to add it to my ATO and slowly bring my alk back up through manual dosing?

Interesting bit about the phosphates. Do I need to wait until I get my alk back up to a normal level before doing the Kalk, or since I have a decent idea of how alk is consumed, is it OK to add it to my ATO and slowly bring my alk back up through manual dosing?

Unless your mag is low and calcium is high, I think you should be alright? You just don't want to cause precipitation. I'd bring parameters back to normal first and then start kalk just to be safe.

I'd also start very low with the kalk while manually dosing the rest. Then a bit more kalk, a bit less manual - until it's all kalk with the occasional correction. Better to find yourself under than over.

ReefSafeSolutions

That's a great idea. Definitely don't want to jack up the tank with too much alk. Did that on my last tank accidentally. Feels awesome.

What are you using to increase Alk when you dose?

I've experienced problems with soda ash in the past. The localized ph spike helps facilitate precipitation. I found it's much better to use baking soda to make Alk adjustments.

ReefSafeSolutions

What are you using to increase Alk when you dose?

I've experienced problems with soda ash in the past. The localized ph spike helps facilitate precipitation. I found it's much better to use baking soda to make Alk adjustments.

I've been using the Red Sea buffer supplement. It's been pretty good, I've never used baking soda though...I'll have to try it!

I've been using the Red Sea buffer supplement. It's been pretty good, I've never used baking soda though...I'll have to try it!

Mix one cup of Baking Soda in a gallon of RO/DI then you can dose according to the calculator on Bulk Reef Supply's website.

Archived