inTank Media Baskets

First reef tank

tofer

This is my Biocube 32 which was setup January 7 . 30lbs of base rock from Reef Cleaners 1/2 pound of live rock lfs , Eheim thermo control 100W heater, Jebao WP10 wave maker . Tank is almost cycled i believe as of tonights tests Ammonia 0ppm, nitrites .25ppm, Nitrates 10ppm . I say i believe as the highest my ammonia ever got was .50ppm but nitrites went to 5 ppm .

post-93106-0-07185900-1484880871_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
GunslingerGirl

Looking good! :welcome:

Keep cycling until that nitrite gets to zero.

I like that cave look.

What are your livestock plans? 1/2 lb of liverock may not make a ton of biological filtration to start. You'll have to add slowly but waiting is half the fun lol

• Like 1

Thank you

As of now I know 2 clownfish and maybe a fire fish still researching the rest of live stock and coral . I have read that clownfish should be add last as they could bully other fish if you start with them. Is there truth to that? I want to move slow to really research all livestock as much as i would like to have something in the tank . I have noticed what looks like spots of coralline spot on the base rock it seems quick since i just started . Is it possible that it could be coralline or something else ?

Im I ready for clean up crew 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates Phosphate 0 calcium 440 alk 11 salinty 1.025 water temp 79 ph 8.1 . Does this look like coralline growth as stated in last post ?

post-93106-0-54455500-1485045879_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Nice scape. Its very cool.

Your plans sound good but add the firefish first as clowns can become territorial.

Once your tank is cycled you can add a few hermits and a snail or two. Put some food in the tank for them(only a tiny bit).

As the tank matures you cand add more snails but start off small as theres not much for them to eat in a new tank

• Like 1
On 3/5/2017 at 5:32 PM, xAyanex said:

Nice 'scape!

Thank  you

7 hours ago, SantaMonicaHelp said:

Hi Tofer,

Congratulations with your first set up!

How is it now? Did you get any fish?

Zhenya

Thanks  .Its going okay have a Cardinal Fish and a Royal Gramma 

2 hours ago, yungKitten said:

Cool scape my dude!

Thank you 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I guess if really forgot to update this post 🙄.  

I did write this  down in  note book to update this but just did not so here we go .

The cardinal fish, royal gramma and fire fish  died due to ick .  That really was a big downer with the tank but ended up going fallow from St. Patricks day to end of May 2017. Bought a 10 gallon setup  in the beginning of April let it cycle with a little left over dry rock  let it cycle  to be a quarantine tank  . I got a new fire fish added to the qt tank june  and after observing till july it was eating well and  no signs of being sick added to the bio cube . Picked up a  Springeri Dottyback put in qt tank for observation  kept in qt tank for 3 weeks  .  I did have 4 coral frags in the bio cube already from the initial start  duncan , 2 zoas,  and a hammer coral  I did add a second duncan (different color ) and a blue mushroom .

Mid August  added a pair of clown fish to qt tank  1  died  of unknown reason i could see tested water all in  range . I did take back to  lis for return policy  the examined and did not see anything  either  also brought water sample and tested the same as home  clown fish was replaced .Got  Florida ricordea and a 2 headed trumpet coral at the same time as getting the replacement fish . The following week the other original clownfish died so at that point I did a water change and decided to wait at least a week  before getting another clownfish . I thought could be an oxygen issue so added a air stone and added a small power head .  Picked up new clown fish  acclimated and added to qt tank  for a couple of weeks .  

September 17 Clownfish in cube   all going well no aggression from anyone  so far . Went away for a weekend and came home to a dead fire fish  😢. I thought it over for a bit about adding another fish but decided against it .

October  got 2 RFA on a buy one get on sale  acclimated them and kept powerbeads off over night .

December  picked up a third RFA and all seems to be going well hoping  for a spawn with the flowers . Have  a gah and cyan outbreak image.thumb.png.ad9fbeaef6d87ac78c7d9cd58f840066.png

image.thumb.png.d10de13fedc9308cee589c3fcddc3abc.png 

Added a coralife skimmer  to the tank  and lost a frag of zoas updated cuc .

March  Cyano cleared up and GHA  less then it was 1 head of trumpet coral died other head not doing well  lowered  down .

April   The trumpet died . I did add leather coral , blasto, cynarina , and a favia 

August  I have no luck as the other zoa frag died . I started dosing  ALK & Calicum & Mag . female (Larger ) clownfish has started to host in duncan coral

Sept    Decide to add some more sand to the tank as i was vacuuming   some out during water change so went with a courser sand . I did end up getting hitchhiker  small feather dusters   which are cool.

Oct  Added another RFA 

November  had a spawning event with the RFA  very exciting ! Ended the month with 13 baby RFA.image.thumb.png.b1ce94425df0d2068ada52d5e6d2a434.pngimage.thumb.png.cf2bfd2454a2118a00fd6b778f7272af.png

Somewhere along the line i got bubble algae and GHA Updated cuc again with emerald crab   

february 

I also upgraded from the stock lighting to AI Prime HD and Intank Media Basket . The prime hd died after 5 days  Ai was great and sent me out new one  .

March sometime prior to this had another spawn from the RFA and BY April i had  approximately 58 RFA .

April added new scan frag and a  gargonia image.thumb.png.89674ed0800fde4d69f3f6cd2b62ad47.png

july added ATO XP Aqua Duetto Dual-Sensor, and a new return pump Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 .

Sept Added a Dosing pump to the tank, also won a Sicce Xstream SDC wave pump. I’m still figuring a flow that works well . Picked up some new corals as well. A scoly , Trachyphyllia, New RFA , also a Acro frag, pink Goniopora .image.png.76f0a59d1fa5d367ea3cf135c0d81d52.png 

image.pngimage.png.20b5c23beebb6eb75402475d01f8f47b.pngimage.png.062c83c6ed08155aac6aec67900e5c29.png

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

You have to be careful of the flow parameters and lighting for sps.  I noticed throughout your journey you lost some livestock.  Did you ever find out the root as to why they failed?

• 1 month later...

@Txplicit I have been watching parameters closely and  lighting and flow have  going well .  Yes I have lost  a few corals  the zoas no i did not  the trumpet coral was do to  a alk swing . I believe the clownfish died due to ick  . As of today everything stable and donning well the lepto has seemed to grow some  other are doing well .

IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5889.JPG

IMG_5910 2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Recently I have started to culture tigger pods and just recently brine shrimp . Pod culture is multiplying at a good pace I have done 1 change of water on it and may have lost some . Since then I have gotten a sieve as not to loose any . The brine shrimp worked well and have feed to the tank in a small portion  twice . The fish are enjoying and the coral seem to be enjoying them as well . Attached is a recent  coral addition. 

297A7916-3D81-4A79-B8CE-F7A022E844FE.jpeg

FBCF3AD4-66C2-4BF0-A736-36BDD5411600.jpeg

5624CDD5-C5CD-4634-BB97-45661C6EBF4E.jpeg

6F96C80D-65FE-40C1-92D6-C8AF77553D7D.jpeg

• Like 1