inTank Media Baskets

NanoBox Unit Constructive Talk : Changes, Discussion, Ideas

DaveFason

Dave, thank you for the reply.

This is on a Custom Built tank, 3/8" starphire annealed glass. The screws are not the plastic Nylon, they are your newest version. On a Tank with this thickness of glass, and the setting of the insert, the provided screws are just not long enough.

I found a suitable replacement, and used the rubber tips from the originals to keep it securely attached.

• Like 2

I would have too! I have never used the storms as I personally think flashing lights may startle fish. But a cool feature to show friends.

my first thought when i was scared awake was poltergeist.

If you loose power and WIFI it will not turn on until the power & wifi is back online.

If you loose WIFI the unit will continue to work from you stored settings.

Does the unit still default to "off" if there's a loss of connectivity & power? Having it come up with it's "last known configuration" and clock set via NTP would mitigate one of my one potential grips (note: has not prevented me from getting one). :)

or does the Bluefish not have a nonvolatile storage option for configuration settings?

Thanks for this and good to know. Maybe installing 1.25" will solve this and sure that is what you ended up doing.

Dave, thank you for the reply.
This is on a Custom Built tank, 3/8" starphire annealed glass. The screws are not the plastic Nylon, they are your newest version. On a Tank with this thickness of glass, and the setting of the insert, the provided screws are just not long enough.
I found a suitable replacement, and used the rubber tips from the originals to keep it securely attached.

I'm sure others have said this, I haven't read through everything but here are my thoughts:

the first, and most important in my book, the controller: I detest the bluefish (sorry, Spencer). The blink-up process is horrible; it's hard to figure out the dynamic sunset/sunrise and which you should use for certain things; the fact that I now need to have 5 different email addresses to control my lights and log in and out each time just seems weird this day in age, especially since there are a lot of people that have multiple tanks (or so I like to tell myself to justify my multiple tanks). If these things could be fixed, the controller would be awesome. Adjusting the actual channels isn't a problem, I love the moonlight phase, and the location finder.

I agree with the gooseneck - Having the ability to switch from hanging to gooseneck OR easily switch gooseneck sizes would be cool.

Those are really the only two things that I personally think need improvement.

• Like 7

I really am trying to work on larger builds for people like you. It is extremely hard for a smaller company like myself to carry/stock so many options. But I am thinking of you guys. :)

36 inch hybrid fixture for the people with bigger tanks.

You can choose from a ton of locations. Fiji always seems to be an easy go to because people think corals to Fiji. Some locations do not update weather patterns quickly enough for it to be accurate.

It is great to see Spencer getting in here as this is all useful information!

Different preset locations...Nausori, Fiji seems to work well, but are there other cool places that I could select from more easily?

• Like 2
SpencerShepard

Different preset locations...Nausori, Fiji seems to work well, but are there other cool places that I could select from more easily?

As you know, you can choose from hundreds of different cities by searching. Here's a preview of the defaults to be implemented:

preview1.png

preview2.png

• Like 2
burtbollinger

As you know, you can choose from hundreds of different cities by searching. Here's a preview of the defaults to be implemented:

this is perfect.

• Like 1
SpencerShepard

I'm sure others have said this, I haven't read through everything but here are my thoughts:

the first, and most important in my book, the controller: I detest the bluefish (sorry, Spencer). The blink-up process is horrible; it's hard to figure out the dynamic sunset/sunrise and which you should use for certain things; the fact that I now need to have 5 different email addresses to control my lights and log in and out each time just seems weird this day in age, especially since there are a lot of people that have multiple tanks (or so I like to tell myself to justify my multiple tanks). If these things could be fixed, the controller would be awesome. Adjusting the actual channels isn't a problem, I love the moonlight phase, and the location finder.

I agree with the gooseneck - Having the ability to switch from hanging to gooseneck OR easily switch gooseneck sizes would be cool.

Since you said you didn't read the whole thread I will say again that those things can and will be fixed very soon. Honestly if I had 5 fixtures to switch between I'd probably share your feelings on that subject (and no, most people do not have multiple tanks :P ). Also, until multi-fixture support is added, I have suggested using numbered usernames, eg stellablue1, stellablue2, etc with the same password. Then it literally takes 3 seconds to switch between them. Also you do not need actual working email addresses when you are registering, since it is only used for password recovery. If you need to change your usernames so you can do this, just email me with the details and I can make that change. Again, just an easy workaround until I roll out the multi-fixture support.

• Like 4

Since you said you didn't read the whole thread I will say again that those things can and will be fixed very soon. Honestly if I had 5 fixtures to switch between I'd probably share your feelings on that subject (and no, most people do not have multiple tanks :P ). Also, until multi-fixture support is added, I have suggested using numbered usernames, eg stellablue1, stellablue2, etc with the same password. Then it literally takes 3 seconds to switch between them. Also you do not need actual working email addresses when you are registering, since it is only used for password recovery. If you need to change your usernames so you can do this, just email me with the details and I can make that change. Again, just an easy workaround until I roll out the multi-fixture support.

As Spencer said, I would change the user names until the roll out of the new updates.

I currently have 6 tanks going as well. I use NBR1, NBR2, etc. My passwords are a single digit to make things easy.

Thanks again for popping in Spencer!

• Like 1

Any consideration of adding more mint/lime led's and less of the whites? I run the white channel extremely low and if Lime was brighter I probably would not run white at all. :)

• Like 3
SpencerShepard

As Spencer said, I would change the user names until the roll out of the new updates.

I currently have 6 tanks going as well. I use NBR1, NBR2, etc. My passwords are a single digit to make things easy.

Thanks again for popping in Spencer!

If you use the "remember me" option, it will save your password as you switch between usernames. Then you don't have to touch the password field at all if you have the same password for each account. Definitely recommend a longer password Dave!
  • Like 1

One other thing about the Bluefish is that it would really nice if there were some kind of preset routine for acclimating corals to the lighting. Like if you could turn on this routine and it would maybe cut the intensity of the lights to 1/4 what it was, and slowly work it's way up back to normal levels of the course of several hours. You can do that manually (on the app or by inching the frags up the rockwork), of course, but it's kind of a pain. It would be great to have a "set it and forget it" setting that would take care of that for you automatically.

• Like 2

One concept that I thought could be awesome for a light unit.

Being able to connect two or more units together physically to create a larger unit, like Legos if you will.

Say you purchase a tide to begin with, then you upgrade your tank. Now instead of buying a duo and selling the tide, you just purchase a tide add on.

As your system grows or coral demand grows, you can add on modules to accommodate those demands.

I realize that such a feat could be challenging. But so far no company in the reefing industry has offered a scaling option like that.

• Like 3

I have been playing with a few ideas on this. Running two more royals in the place of two whites and running the mint channel at a higher amperage. I run zero whites on my personal tank now and all lime/mint.

Any consideration of adding more mint/lime led's and less of the whites? I run the white channel extremely low and if Lime was brighter I probably would not run white at all. :)

Great idea. I can get with Spencer/Bluefish on this.

One other thing about the Bluefish is that it would really nice if there were some kind of preset routine for acclimating corals to the lighting. Like if you could turn on this routine and it would maybe cut the intensity of the lights to 1/4 what it was, and slowly work it's way up back to normal levels of the course of several hours. You can do that manually (on the app or by inching the frags up the rockwork), of course, but it's kind of a pain. It would be great to have a "set it and forget it" setting that would take care of that for you automatically.

• Like 3

the fact that I now need to have 5 different email addresses to control my lights and log in and out each time just seems weird this day in age, especially since there are a lot of people that have multiple tanks (or so I like to tell myself to justify my multiple tanks).

I know you already addressed this, but I'm giving this a second vote. With all the random accounts I do have, and with how frequently I change/upgrade/reset devices (so "remember me" doesn't always help), it would be nice to have one login. Even though it only takes a few seconds to swap between the two, I am a lazy person.

This has driven me absolutely insane. I'm currently scared to touch the light for fear of slightly knocking it out of wack.

I literally keep a small level next to my tank for this reason. lol. Most people have their lights slightly angled front to back, but my tank is peninsula so I want it perfectly centered and level.

• Like 4

Only a minor quibble... I'd think that the acclimation process would need be over at least a week, if not more. But yes - hands down, this^^.

Only a minor quibble... I'd think that the acclimation process would need be over at least a week, if not more. But yes - hands down, this^^.

At least a week? :eek:

Oops.

I guess I'm lucky my frags have all been healthy and hardy, because I only did it for like an hour... :blush: (they seem perfectly healthy, no signs of bleaching, so... no harm, no foul? fingerscrossed )

jedimasterben

At least a week? :eek:

Oops.

Acclimation for corals coming from much lower to much higher lighting would need even longer, several weeks' worth, if not months, to ensure a smooth transition.

• Like 2

Acclimation for corals coming from much lower to much higher lighting would need even longer, several weeks' worth, if not months, to ensure a smooth transition.

I mean it was only coming off of overnight shipping, and before that it was in Live Aquaria's facilities, which probably have about the same, if not higher lighting than my tank... I got great polyp extension the very next day, but should I still be worried?

jedimasterben

I mean it was only coming off of overnight shipping, and before that it was in Live Aquaria's facilities, which probably have about the same, if not higher lighting than my tank... I got great polyp extension the very next day, but should I still be worried?

Nah, you're fine. The thing to watch for is coloration. Too low light means corals darken or brown, too high means the lighten and bleach.
  • Like 1

Not for me. Pretty big deal. When sitting on my couch I can see the underside of the light. I want it to be clean.

And I thought I was OCD :lol:

Also how the hell can you see the wires ? If I look at mine I am blinded and cant see a thing..........

• Like 2

I love this thread! Some random thoughts:

- gooseneck option between the two current sizes. The small gooseneck is just a smidge too short for the IM10/20, the 15" is much too long. Or like I think was already suggested, a new, more flexible/adjustable mounting system other than gooseneck or hanging.

- the removable cable idea is huge in my book. If you want to route the cable through a cable port in the back of a cabinet, you have to take apart the controller, disconnect all the wires, run the cable, and then put it all back together and hope you got it right. And heaven forbid you ever need to move it again if you're cleaning up your cabling mess :)

- power failure recovery is a real problem. I completely understand it really can't be fixed given the whole basis of the bluefish technology, but let's face it, it's a problem none of your competitors have. If you lose internet/wifi, and then cycle the power to the light, you can't turn the light back on until the cable company gets around to restoring your internet. But I agree that defaulting to "off" is much less dangerous to corals than defaulting to "on at 100%" would be.

• Like 2