Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SeaFurn's Reef Bowl

SeaFurn

On 3/3/2017 at 6:18 PM, SeaFurn said:

Yes, those were the polyps I thought I killed! Can you believe that??  I guess my expectation was that they'd open up much sooner.  The zoas open up quickly the times I've dipped them. I'll be interested to see how angry the polyps are after tomorrow's water change.

Yes, the peroxide is the 3% kind - Kroger brand 57 cents haha  ..mixed 50/50 with tank water.  I dip in Bayer when initially adding them to the bowl. The peroxide has only been to treat for algae and I've done at a separate time. 

Corals always amaze me in their ability to come back from the dead. If a corals looking bad I always keep it in the tank, even if I think it's a goner, and a lot of the time they come back. Awesome looking new coral, is that a candy cane? Sorry I'm a newbie

I'm a newbie too so no worries!   It was probably no where near dead but it stayed closed up much longer than I expected so that's what had me worried.  

Yes, that's a candy cane!  That picture didn't do justice to it's color. It's amazing!   I'm going to try and find a blue one sometime!

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Your bowls looking great so far!  Following!

Thanks! Today is day 60 of this bowl. It's still going through its algae cycle and looks a little brown to me most days. I have 2 trochus snails working overtime to keep it from being completely overwhelmed. 

Just pulled back the curtain to let a little sun in to see the bowl a little better. Snapped this photo because it was kinda neat. 

The acan isn't as puffy today. Still need to pick places for the torch and the candy coral (both in the sand). I've got a long way to go to fill up this bowl! 

IMG_8832.JPG

• Like 6

Slow and steady. I think you're doing great! I'm always happy to see the FBS (full bowl shot). Maybe the acan will puff up later. Mine used to deflate and reinflate randomly.

What kind of sand did you use? I'm still torn between barebottom and getting a little bit of sand in case I want a plate coral. :)

• Like 1

I hope it does. I just glued it down to that spot on the rocks last weekend.  It wasn't too far from the spot it had been in the sand but I'm wondering if it's not ideal. Keeping my eye on it.  

l really like the aesthetics of the sand in the bottom of the bowl. I used Carib Sea Ocean Direct - Original Grade. It's a mix of smaller and larger grains and I think it looks nice.  

There's such a small amount in my bowl that I'm able to blast every single bit of it with the turkey baster each before each water change. I'm getting out 90% of the detritus each time I'd say. Because I am able to do that I'm not even sure I'll have to break down the bowl and rinse the sand biannually like @Brandon429 does. He might advise me otherwise though. 

• Like 2

Day 68 - The bowl didn't seem so brown this past week! Getting further along in the algae cycle and the snails are doing a good job. 

Fed the acan and candy cane coral mysis this morning...both grabbed the pieces as they fell near their mouths. Pretty cool. Then did a 100% water change. 

Found a spot I liked for the hammer so glued it down this past week. 

Now practicing taking some pictures. Caught some bubbles in the photo. 

Going to the LFS tomorrow to see what frags they have! Let's fill up this bowl!

IMG_8927.thumb.JPG.079f287b67ffe70d55a808962a586ffd.JPG

The photos look so much better on my phone than when I post them.  Way too blue still.  Hmmm.....

• Like 5

That looks great!  Still blue but you can definitely make out what's going on in the tank.  I capture bubbles all the time too lol, forget to turn the pump off. :lol:

• Like 1

All this talk about Shelby (@Lula_Mae ) and Pom Pom crabs last week got me thinking - why not an anemone shrimp? And who needs an anemone when you have star polyps as a substitute. The first day or so they were pretty hacked off to have something in them all the time but I think they are getting used to it!  They are staying open now. Maybe I'll consider a maxi mini down the road for it. 

IMG_8947.thumb.JPG.9e0a54307adb6ac8b88b01d557798fe1.JPG

The shrimp is nearly translucent so hard to spot when it's on the rocks but it's pretty cool.

Also picked up another zoa for the garden. It's acclimating on the sand. 

It's hard to be certain but it looks like the acan has two tiny little heads starting to grow from the side of it. Starting to see some little zoa sprouts too.

As usual - sorry for the poor photo.

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Wow that's a nifty shrimp!  Is it a pederson's?  Now I'm tempted to get one!

Yep!  And barely an inch long. 

On another topic - I've moved my acan one time and there's now bright white dried super glue on the rock where it was.  Will algae growth eventually cover this so that it becomes the same color as the rocks again?  I hope so. 

Awwwww!!!  I have seriously considered anemone shrimps!  Wonder if they would host a St. Thomas mushroom?

My poor tank's had a rough couple days but Shelby is as belligerent as ever.  When I drained the tank while changing the water, she scampered up the rock to the branching red macro and attempted to climb out of the water (that's where I was pouring in the new water), then went and hid under the rock and when I used my chopstick to move something she attempted to climb it lol.  Silly Shelby! :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Awwwww!!!  I have seriously considered anemone shrimps!  Wonder if they would host a St. Thomas mushroom?

My poor tank's had a rough couple days but Shelby is as belligerent as ever.  When I drained the tank while changing the water, she scampered up the rock to the branching red macro and attempted to climb out of the water (that's where I was pouring in the new water), then went and hid under the rock and when I used my chopstick to move something she attempted to climb it lol.  Silly Shelby! :lol:

Maybe so!  You should get one and see!  I was really surprised to see this one climb into the polyps but hey that's what they do. 

Yeah, i read your latest post. Sorry about your fav mushroom. Wonder what's going on?   Sounds like Shelby's still a character though!

Tank got too hot yesterday. :( We have no control over our heat which is kept around 80 most days and if it warms up outside, it warms up inside too.  I've never had the tank go about 80 though even when the area around my desk (across the room) is around 85.  Gonna be looking for an a/c unit to put in here before it gets hot out. 

HammerLover

Seafurn, my cookie jar pico is also quit hot since now is the start of the summer season in our country (we only have summer and rainy seasons lol)

my jar has been constantly 29 degrees celcius since March and so far the corals look quite fine. Maritza said that as long as the temp change isnt quite fast and drastic the corals can cope with fairly warm temps. Hope your bowl pulls through! And those corals look lovely!

On 3/22/2017 at 6:33 PM, SeaFurn said:

On another topic - I've moved my acan one time and there's now bright white dried super glue on the rock where it was.  Will algae growth eventually cover this so that it becomes the same color as the rocks again?  I hope so. 

I was hoping someone else would answer this since I'm starting to get spots of dried super glue too from gluing shut vermetid snails.

I went to IKEA hoping to find the same floor lamp you have - no such luck. All that fighting to get parking and I came out with a 99 cent watering can and no lamp fixture for my tank. LOL!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Rain24 said:

I went to IKEA hoping to find the same floor lamp you have - no such luck. All that fighting to get parking and I came out with a 99 cent watering can and no lamp fixture for my tank. LOL!

I totally have to mentally prepare for a trip to IKEA...from the trolling for a parking spot, to the mob inside, and then there's the overwhelming selection of stuff!! I always have to reward myself with some Swedish meatballs (probably shouldn't admit that...)

Surprised you only came away with watering can!

Day 79 in the reef bowl.

Shrimp is good! He's been spending most of his time on the rock in a spot where he's visible all the time so that's cool. Occasionally he flops into the star polyps but they don't seem to mind now.

Pulled one of the trochus snails out  of the bowl when it was near the top last night and gave his shell a peroxide wipe down. There was some fuzzy green algae growing on it that the other trochus hadn't groomed in a while. I was careful to only wipe the shell. I rinsed him thoroughly and back in he went.

The acan is sprouting 3 little heads under the big ones! 

IMG_8990.thumb.JPG.24b0d2c73c051915b93625ba998c388d.JPG

And still practicing photography. 

Here's an attempt at another FBS under the ABi bulb. At least the corals appear to have some color that resembles how my eyes see it (looking at it on my phone) but the rocks appear dark and have a funky disco color on them. One of these days...

IMG_8989.thumb.JPG.c0f6d4ef8ff64b14a52a16206e986928.JPG

The shrimp hangs out in the dark spot just left of the star polyps.

• Like 3
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's Reef Bowl