Coral Vue Hydros

SeaFurn's Reef Bowl

SeaFurn

17 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Lula - very clever! Acan see what you did there! :lol:   I'm liking all your new additions too!  Glad things are going much better now!

Thanks Rain - yeah, it does - but it seems less lively in the bowl now. Will get some photos up soon - still kinda dread that part because they mostly SUCK.  

@Weetabix7 It's always nice when people can relate.  But so frustrating when you don't have a clue. The acans are all looking great.  The Sunny D zoas aren't quite right with the world still...which is strange because ALL the others current zoa inhabitants are just fine.  I'm going to move them to a different hang-out spot so we'll see how they are tomorrow. 

Haha thanks!  I like bad puns so when it popped in my head I thought it was hilarious! :lol:  I've actually gotten a few more...stocking up lol.  Longer story there that I'll share in the next few days.  But hopefully get some pics up soon.

• Like 3

Here's a quick cell phone pic before the lights went out of 2 of the 4 acans I got on Saturday. The one on the left is charcoal color with a green band around the perimeter. So cool! I hadn't seen one like that before. 

The other has a rainbow center. 

The always look so much better on my phone.  :angry:

IMG_9106.thumb.JPG.bee67c62fb4f482a5006cd23270d3c43.JPG

• Like 4

I like, very nice!!

I've heard a couple people mention an App called Procamera that supposed to help w/pics on phone. 

Also, it helped me to move my LED light/bulb slightly off to the side so it wasn't directly over the tank when I took pics, tho it was still providing light.

21 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Love those acans! Can't wait to get some for my jar!

You definitely need to get one...or two...or 3. Oh there I go again!

14 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I like, very nice!!

I've heard a couple people mention an App called Procamera that supposed to help w/pics on phone. 

Also, it helped me to move my LED light/bulb slightly off to the side so it wasn't directly over the tank when I took pics, tho it was still providing light.

Yeah, I use Procam and used it for that pic.  I'm just can't figure it all out.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll try moving the light over a bit on my next shots. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I have always enjoyed Tank Contests, hope you enjoy this one as well!!

Thanks!  I have no idea what I've got myself into! Haha! But, I'm thinking I'm going to need an official consultant or two....and why not add a little Zen to the project??? 

Think you'd be up for that? 

• Like 1

@natalia_la_loca - So I got a little carried away last night and joined the Nano-Reef tank contest!  :scarry:

I think I'm going to need an official consultant or two....and why not add a little BOTM magic to the project???

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Haha, sure :) I'm going to live vicariously thru all you guys because I was totally eyeballing that specific tank before any contest was announced. I just don't want to do the extra work that another tank entails. I'll follow along and chime in wherever it makes sense!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks!  I have no idea what I've got myself into! Haha! But, I'm thinking I'm going to need an official consultant or two....and why not add a little Zen to the project??? 

Heck Yes!!!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Haha, sure :) I'm going to live vicariously thru all you guys because I was totally eyeballing that specific tank before any contest was announced. I just don't want to do the extra work that another tank entails. I'll follow along and chime in wherever it makes sense!

Yeah, I know it's more work but I've been bitten by the reefing bug and had been looking at getting a tank anyway! It looks like a nice little tank and the price wasn't too bad. 

I have no idea what to do with it as far as this contest goes so feel free to start chiming some ideas my way!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah, I know it's more work but I've been bitten by the reefing bug and had been looking at getting a tank anyway! It looks like a nice little tank and the price wasn't too bad. 

I have no idea what to do with it as far as this contest goes so feel free to start chiming some ideas my way!

This lets me vicariously enjoy a tank contest as well. 

I really do love them, have even run one in the past, but I am totally not in the right spot to personally participate in one right now. 

(This actually is not a negative at all, just where I'm at.)

Anyway, happy to help, will look more closely at rules of contest again later. 

Do you have any general ideas of what you'd like to accomplish, or direction you wanna go?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Heck Yes!!!!!

Sweet! THANK YOU! 

Ok, we need to do some brainstorming! Shoot me some ideas! I'm open to anything at this point! 

SaltyBuddha

A planted tank just screams macro algae. You could have some nice big corals on the rock, and have green macros covering the sand. Carpet Halimeda and some palm tree caulerpa (this species is less likely to go sexual than its relatives). Would take lots of pruning though, and Halimeda takes up lots of calcium when it gets bigger.

• Like 1

I have been eyeballing the contest tank for a month, and was gonna buy it and start gathering equipment for a setup when I got terminator'd.  Or whatever. :P Am gonna tag along to see what comes of yours!

• Like 2

I'm excited for you and your new tank! Like most of the people that have already replied, I'm going to live vicariously through your tank. I don't think I'll be upgrading from my little tanquito jar anytime soon.

• Like 1

Thanks @Lula_Mae and @Rain24!  I'm happy that my reef bowl followers will be tagging along and I hope I don't let you down!  Just set your expectations kinda low and then be pleasantly surprised. ;)   And feel free to offer advice and suggestions as we go!  Remember I haven't had a salt water tank since I was 16 (a long time ago).  I think I was using an HOB filter and a fluorescent tube light at the time. It did have live rock though!

Lula - wish you could do it too!  It's just the ups and downs of life and like my dad always told me "this too shall pass".

Rain - I'm just glad you got the tanquito jar up and running way sooner than it first sounded like you would!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally glued down the corals from the Atlanta Expo! I started the project last weekend but got so frustrated working in such tight space that I stopped after the first one. And that one had glue on the coral itself. :( It looks like it's going to be ok and grow over the glue. 

This weekend I continued the project and had much better success! I gotta give credit to @Weetabix7 who told me take the rock out of the bowl! Now why didn't I think of that?? I guess I was worried about breaking off the acros. It all worked out though. 

Heres a quick tour of the reefbowl as it stands tonight. 

I'm probably going to move the hammer down the rock a bit it's getting too close to the others for comfort.  

• Like 3
Weetabix7

That looks great!!!

Now I gotta go do some of that kinda work myself, grumble, grumble, working in small spaces, grumble.... <_<

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

That looks great!!!

Now I gotta go do some of that kinda work myself, grumble, grumble, working in small spaces, grumble.... <_<

Thanks!  Did you see the trochus behind the candy cane coral? Doesn't it look huge?  It's not really...but kinda compared to the coral. 

I think I'm going to take that one acan off the round plug next weeekend - I don't like the way it looks now that it's glued down.  Grrr....

Weetabix7
43 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks!  Did you see the trochus behind the candy cane coral? Doesn't it look huge?  It's not really...but kinda compared to the coral. 

I think I'm going to take that one acan off the round plug next weeekend - I don't like the way it looks now that it's glued down.  Grrr....

It DOES look huge!!!

I think everything looks pretty good on the whole though. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

That looks great!!!

Haha me too, once I buy or find my superglue lol.

I agree, it looks great!

• Like 1
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's Reef Bowl