Coral Vue Hydros

Pistol/Mantis Shrimp?

LbulletM

Sooooo, I think I may have a shrimp that came in on my live rock. I THINK I hear the little snaps. It almost sounds like the glass settling or something. I've been trying to rationalize it as snail shells on the walls clicking against the glass since I haven't seen a shrimp yet despite a lot of looking. Is there a way to confirm/deny a shrimp? How imperative is it to remove it?

If it's a pistol shrimp your fine leave it in there and get it a goby friend. Mantis shrimp is another story. They will eat your fish.

Try luring it out with some food. Either shrimp will eventually come out to eat. Try luring it out at night when you here the snaps

If it's a pistol shrimp your fine leave it in there and get it a goby friend. Mantis shrimp is another story. They will eat your fish.

Try luring it out with some food. Either shrimp will eventually come out to eat. Try luring it out at night when you here the snaps

I hear the snaps around the clock! I need to look up some YouTube videos and see if they sound the same....

Sound is pretty much the same.

It's most likely a pistol if the snapping is constant. If it is, it's likely not going to be a species that pairs with a goby.

With a mantis, you'll only hear it when it's feeding.

Mantis goes to sleep at night, however snapping pistols I've heard through the night. Mantis also will pound on their home during the day when it's light to make their hollow bigger.

Mantis goes to sleep at night, however snapping pistols I've heard through the night. Mantis also will pound on their home during the day when it's light to make their hollow bigger.

Good to know!

Sound is pretty much the same.

It's most likely a pistol if the snapping is constant. If it is, it's likely not going to be a species that pairs with a goby.

With a mantis, you'll only hear it when it's feeding.

Haha sorry. I should have clarified. I meant to check Youtube for my sound vs shrimp sounds, not mantis vs pistol. :lol:

I had a hitchiker pistol.

I heard a sound one night and i thought the tank cracked. They can be pretty loud.

Mine only made noise at night and i only saw it come out of the rocks at night and that was twice, it came out a little bit. It was a tiny guy.

My goby never paired with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Lets say it might be a Mantis, when small they will snap/pound in LR (liverock) and create a home. If your musically tunded the mantis shrimp may have snaps that resemble quarter notes at young age. Good luck on the search. :)

Archived