inTank Media Baskets

Going sexual

Pajama_Card

Hello, I have set up my 30-gallon AIO tank and am going to make it a macro algae and softie tank, but mainly macros. My main concern is them going asexual. Is it just caluerpas that go asexual or is it all. Could someone give me a list of macros that don't go asexual if any. I have been somewhat confused by everything I have read and seen mixed messages. So can someone explain it simply?

Caulerpa has the potential to go sexual. Some species more than others. Caulerpa Prolifera has been issue free for me for the past 3 years. Caulerpa Sertulariodes tends to go sexual more often for me, along with Grape Caulerpa. Really depends on the nutrients available in the tank. Shouldn't have troubles with any other macro going sexual though.

I have lots of macros in my seahorse tank including feather caulerpa. None of my macros have ever gone sexual. I do prune my caulerpa regularly to keep it from going sexual.

Caulerpa has the potential to go sexual. Some species more than others. Caulerpa Prolifera has been issue free for me for the past 3 years. Caulerpa Sertulariodes tends to go sexual more often for me, along with Grape Caulerpa. Really depends on the nutrients available in the tank. Shouldn't have troubles with any other macro going sexual though.

I have lots of macros in my seahorse tank including feather caulerpa. None of my macros have ever gone sexual. I do prune my caulerpa regularly to keep it from going sexual.

Thank you. I will be picking up macros and mangroves on Monday to try my hand at them. They will be going in my 5-gallon mantis tank. Be expecting a build thread :D

Sounds good. Don't be scared to grow Caulerpa. Just keep it pruned.

Thanks!

Heard someone at LFS talking about this. What does it mean?

I won't have the best response and am not sure if it is all correct so don't quote me, but it is along the lines of all the macro of the species releases spores into the water at once. This severely dirties the water and has some negative side effects. it also usually happens at night. It is an attempt to asexually or sexually reproduce.

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks!

I won't have the best response and am not sure if it is all correct so don't quote me, but it is along the lines of all the macro of the species releases spores into the water at once. This severely dirties the water and has some negative side effects. it also usually happens at night. It is an attempt to asexually or sexually reproduce.

in the 9 months or so I've had caulerpa prolifera ive never had it go sexual and I've never pruned it lol

in the 9 months or so I've had caulerpa prolifera ive never had it go sexual and I've never pruned it lol

That is a very relieving thought .

3 years with the same batch of Caulerpa Prolifera I only prune when it grows in areas that I do not wish for it to and has never gone sexual. Caulerpa Sertulariodes only went sexual for me when I did a massive pruning in my sump. Removed 50% of the macro in my sump and within the next few days my entire tank went cloudy for 24 hours. Skimmer went crazy and I had to change out the filter sock. This was 2-3 month ago, I still haven't done a water change. I only had soft corals, fish, shrimp, crabs, and cucumbers at the time. Nothing appeared to have been negatively effected. But I lost 98% of my C. Sertulariodes and all of my Grape Caulerpa. My sump used to be 50% Caulerpa. I linked a few pictures to how I use C. Prolifera in my current setup. Tank is over a year old now.

Archived