Cultivated Reef

Little Help please with IDing disease/damage on 11 year old clown fish

thebiggster

Hi

I am at a total loss on this one.

I have a female ocellaris that has just started showing a lesion to her left gill and some white discoloration to the tips of her surround pectoral & dorsal fins (See Pics). I only noticed that something was wrong with her when she was resting on the bottom after turning all my pumps off to do a water change. She is now swimming and responding quite normal but does appear to be a little lethargic.

post-35494-0-65667600-1484368386_thumb.jpg post-35494-0-70979700-1484368401_thumb.jpg

I have had her for almost 11 years in the same RSM130 (Original release model) with the only mods being LEDs, Tunze 6045 & 6040 and Tunze 9001 Skimmer. Tank is full of SPS (acros montis turbinaria), LPS (torch, hammer, fungia, Duncans, blasto) Softies (1 very large Sarcophyton, Zoas, Mushrooms and some large Xenias), a Pink Nipple BTA and pups, all are doing well. Only have 1 other fish (Royal Dottyback 4 years in tank) which is showing none of the symptoms displayed on the Clown. I did get a baby hammer on a frag plug a couple of weeks ago, I thought maybe she has stung herself on it but I think this is unlikely given the other corals in tank.

Water Parameters - Test Weekly

NH3-0 (Salifert)

N02-0 (Salifert)

N03-0 (Salifert)

PO4-0.02+/- (Hanna)

CA-450 (Hanna)

ALK-9.0-9.1 (Hanna)

MG-1350 (Salifert)

SG-1.0267 Refractometer (same as water in ocean 2kms from where I live in QLD Australia)

PH-8.2 Milwaukie

TEMP-25.1-25.9

I do weekly 20lt NSW changes, dose Red Sea Reef Foundation Parts A, B & C mixed with RO/Top-Off and dosed hourly via dosing pump. I run GFO and GAC in bags in rear sump and change quarterly. The tank also has a chiller.

Would hate to lose a fish I have had for so long and as I said I am at a total loss as to what this could be given that my tank has been established for more than 10 years and all other livestock appears to be normal

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Could be a bacterial infection? I am not that experienced but recently went to a swap and the guest speaker Christine Williams talked about fish diseases. If the fish is old, its immune system may just not be what it used to. Could have been stung from the hammer and gotten infected. Try looking up bacterial infections and see what you can find.

Archived