SaltCritters.com

Adding More Sand To a Tank

michaelbog

Hello,

I am wondering if it's ok to add live sand to the sand bed. I have a 45 and a 7 gallon. From cleaning and other activities the sand bed in both tanks has grown smaller and smaller. I have read a lot about how it can be dangerous to replace the sand bed but nothing really about just adding more sand on top of the sand bed to make it thicker. I would be adding maybe 1 inch or so.

Thoughts, concerns or other Topics in the forum that I failed to see or find via search.

Thanks for the time,

Michael

ReefSafeSolutions

As I understand it, you shouldn't have a problem adding sand. If it's a concern for you, you could always add a little bit each day. You may see some diatoms after adding the new sand...I added a fresh rock to my tank and got a crazy diatom outbreak!

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the heads up about the diatoms. That would have worried me.

Anyone else I am all ears.

Michael

I only use live sand out of the bag when cycling a tank. When I want to use more to add to an existing tank, always rinse it first. I just ran it through tap water until the water was clear and then let it dry out.

Advice I read was to add a small amount at a time, and don't cover existing sand. Push your sand around to make a clear spot, and put the new sand there.

I've added sand...removed sand....just a little bit at a time, usually when I add sand or remove sand, I do it on water change days & add fresh carbon to minimize disruption. In a 20 gallon aquarium, I would add 1-2 cups of sand.

Theres no danger to changing a sandbed completely, many do it yearly to every 3 yrs as it holds a lot of nasty waste within it.. I just did it.

You can easily add more. Some use a pvc pipe to run the sand into the tank to avoid messy issues

Archived