SaltCritters.com

Health of New additions? 1 week later still need opinions!

flatlandreefer

flatlandreefer

I already posted in another thread that my new clam from LA didn't make it. I also got a fox coral and a grubes gorgornian from them as well. I received the orders yesterday, the fox came in a bag that had a small hole in it. Some water had leaked out but for the most part the coral was still submersed. The fox has not opened up yet and the gorgonian is not extending any polyps. I just wanted to get opinions on the current state of health for these corals.

29A08DDE-CF6E-4395-83CE-5E802CD0695B_zps

C9FA149E-C94A-4C94-BD6C-A8B944F087C4_zps

I wouldn't worry about them too much yet. The grubes may take a couple days to open. Fox corals don't always ship well so give it a few days to adjust.

flatlandreefer

I really hope the fox opens up and starts doing well, it was my reason for making the order. I was inspired by the big fox in gena's drop off, very cool looking!

flatlandreefer

It has been 1 week almost to the hour since I added a new fox coral, grube's gorgonian, clam and feather duster from live aquaria. The clam did not arrive in very good condition and died promptly the next day. The feather duster is looking great and has attached where I placed it. The gorgonian still has not opened any polyps but I'm not sure if this is much of a concern?

I am mainly worried about my fox coral. It has not opened up yet and shown almost no improvement. There are places where the flesh has dies off of the skeleton, where a mouth used to be, this has been the case since I got it so it's not like it has been rapidly declining since being in my tank. The bag had a small leak as stated above when I got it but most of the water was still in the bag. What are the odds of survival for this guy?

Other notes:

Fox is in one of the lower flow areas of the tank, flow has also been turned down since its addition. Kessil A360we lighting around 75% but acans are looking good and it is in the corner of the tank.

Params:

Nitrates: 5ppm

Phos: 0ppm (hannah checker ppm not ppb)

Alkalinity: 9.5-10 dkh steady since additon

Ca: 415 also steady

Mg: 1300

Salinity: 1.026

Temp: 26.5 celcius with inkbird controller

0F09E592-12DC-4385-8613-C6F18A5D193E_zps

AF56FE1B-7DBE-4696-A121-45F8CEB393DD_zps

Gorgonians need high flow.

Non photosynthetic need to be fed regularly and photosynthetic needs lots of light.

As for the fox. It looks in rough shape. I'd contact Liveaquaria.com to inform them of how it came.

I'd put it in moderate to low flow area and feed it

flatlandreefer

Gorgonians need high flow.

Non photosynthetic need to be fed regularly and photosynthetic needs lots of light.

As for the fox. It looks in rough shape. I'd contact Liveaquaria.com to inform them of how it came.

I'd put it in moderate to low flow area and feed it

The gorg is in med flow, maybe I will move it into a higher flow area, the branches are moving currently. LA says the gorg requires low light which is why i wanted to keep it on the edge of the tank while it was getting adjusted. Its photosynthetic but I have also been feeding the whole tank with reef chili every other day.

I notified LA about the fox when I called about the dead clam, at that point I was still fairly confident that the fox could pull through, maybe I will call again...

Archived