Top Shelf Aquatics

Pal's 30l reboot help ati broke need new light

pal

On 3/9/2018 at 7:48 PM, pal said:

Haven't updated for a while. Haven't had much to update. Since losing my monti caps and acros tank has been on auto pilot.. to motivate myself I joined the grow out contest here.  Hanna reagents came today along with a new return pump..

2018-03-09_06-39-00

What is the noise level coming out of the MightyJet?

On 3/9/2018 at 7:47 PM, samnaz said:

beautiful. hey did get that DSLR for xmas? we want closeups and lots of em.

I did. got a cannon.  Still learning how to use it.I will post some once i get the hang of using it a little more.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:32 PM, Indiana Reefin said:

Really nice tank! 

I can only hope to have a successful tank like this one some day 

Thanks, I  am sure you will .If you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:37 AM, vlangel said:

The tank is beautiful.  Good luck in the grow out contest!

Wow thanks for the compliment, I absolutely love your seahorse tanks!

3 hours ago, Reeferon said:

What is the noise level coming out of the MightyJet?

It seems quiet to me. Tank is in a noisy living room though. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

How is this pump working out? Would you recommend it?

Yeah so far I really like it. I am running it full blast on stream mode and my spin streams spin again even covered in gsp. The sine wave function is interesting but I  think would work better without spinstreams.  Oh and I really like that it has a feed mode. No more forgetting to turn back on after feeding.

• 1 month later...

Sigh ..my tank looked so nice last May.... Throw back Thursday.May 3 2017

1 year ago

Since this happened in December

Bye cap ugh

I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my tank . Sps are just not growing for me anymore and nothing looks too happy. (Except my clowns who spawn on the regular)..

Things I have tried and tested for with no luck..

* cleaned all equipment and back chamber

*Replaced Rodi membrane and media

*Calibrated my doser dialed in dosing Alk steady at 7.896 

*upgraded return pump

*got a hanna phosphurus colorimeter

Phosphorus reads 10 ppb

* tested for stray current

*made sure my temp controller was accurate. 78 -79degrees steady........

After all that I might have figured it out. Nitrate test came today and I have Zero nitrates! So now what do  I do?dose Spectracide???

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask you about the gyre your using??

I am thinking of adding the smallest gyre to my nuvo 24 tank to get more bottom flow.
I have a really open stone structure and not enought bottom flow to lift up the stuf and filter it out.

There is 1 powerhead just behind the big pile on the left, but that's not enough to get a good flow around the tank.

Your happy with your gyre and flow?? Thanks.

20180427_163952.jpg

5 hours ago, Dutchtank said:

Can I ask you about the gyre your using??

I like the flow , I  dislike cleaning it. I think ice cap makes a small one might fit your tank better. However I  would be careful with power heads on the 24 mine cracked. Your tank looks nice. Do you have a build thread?

On 5/3/2018 at 6:40 PM, bluecard said:

Your tank is awesome. Could you remove some filter media or take your skimmer offline and see if that doesn’t help nitrates?

Thanks, I  took the macro algae reactor out and I am skimming less and feeding more.so far no nitrates.

I am going down the rabbit hole of excessive testing and kind of enjoying it

Nerding out

I  dosed some potassium nitrate today up to .75 ppm I  don't know how high I should raise it. If this doesn't fix my problems I am going to order an icp test.

Current Fts

2018-05-16_11-09-56

• Like 2
On 5/16/2018 at 8:00 PM, samnaz said:

smoking while testing? now that's multitasking talent! impressive. 

Ha, I am a professional.  The smoke was actually for the post testing afterglow.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:54 PM, Indiana Reefin said:

How do you like your Sunpower? I am debating on getting one. LED’s really are not my thing. 

I like it alot. This is only the 2nd light fixture I have ever used so I dont have much to compare it to. I would love to have nanobox make into a hybrid ..

Sullivan

On 3/9/2018 at 4:48 PM, pal said:

Haven't updated for a while. Haven't had much to update. Since losing my monti caps and acros tank has been on auto pilot.. to motivate myself I joined the grow out contest here.  Hanna reagents came today along with a new return pump..

2018-03-09_06-39-00

Nice. I had a mightyjet in the shopping cart but didn’t go for it. Let us know what you think. Even without the Monti this is an amazing tank. 

On 5/16/2018 at 6:00 PM, samnaz said:

smoking while testing? now that's multitasking talent! impressive. 

Lol. Us real smokers can do anything and smoke at the same time. I can sip beer with a smoke hanging out the corner. 

On 5/18/2018 at 6:36 PM, 1891Bro said:

Nice. I had a mightyjet in the shopping cart but didn’t go for it. Let us know what you think. Even without the Monti this is an amazing tank

thanks,  I  wrote a little review above but can copy and paste it here.

so far I  like it. I am running it full blast on stream mode and my spin streams spin again even covered in gsp. The sine wave function is interesting but I  think would work better without spinstreams.  Oh and I really like that it has a feed mode. No more forgetting to turn back on after feeding.

On 5/18/2018 at 7:19 PM, Indiana Reefin said:

Nice shepherd

I have a minature Australian Shepherd 

That is Sullivan. He is a mutt but I see shepherd in him also. I  just ordered a DNA test for him so I will know soon.

• 2 months later...

So it has been a busy summer and my tank has suffered.  Half of my tank  was taken over with algae and orange mushrooms. After several rounds of scrubbing and peroxide things were not improving I flipped out and just removed the problem rocks and sand.

So here is what I am left with.

reboot

• Wow 1

Man that sucks I loved your old setup it was one of my favorites.  Obviously you have skills so I am excited to see what new stuff is to come!!

Out of curiosity what do you think was the contributing factors to the breakout?? Was it just life getting in the way and slacking on maintenance or something else? Hoping to learn something here haha

2 hours ago, Weikel said:

Out of curiosity what do you think was the contributing factors to the breakout??

well I lost

a bunch of sps to what I think was low nutrients. Took my algae reactor offline. Things started looking better but grape caulerpa and

orangemushrooms started growing fast. I  was keeping them manually in check. Then life got really busy missed a few water changes and took a long vacation and here we are.

2 hours ago, Weikel said:

excited to see what new stuff is to come!!

3 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Hey, more room for new corals :naughtydance:

I am excited about the rescape. Have some new rocks and I am going to Aquachella this weekend.

hoping to bring home a full frag rack worth of new coral!

• Like 2

Went to Aquashella today.  It was bigger and more crowded than I expected. lots of softies and lps. Colorado sunburst anemones were beautiful and priced at 1500 dollars !?!besides some bounce mushrooms everthing else was priced reasonably. I ended up with a couple small frags ,phyotplankton and some pods from algaebarn.. Oh and my favorite score was a signed limited edition print  from reefweeds. 

Screenshot_2018-08-19-17-48-30-1

• 3 years later...

The plan today was to move the tank off the old stand and onto the new stand. Clean out the reefing closet and start water changes. I immediately got distracted with my new reef brite. Hooked it up and couldn’t stand that it didn’t match my ati. So went to the auto store and bought vinyl wrap. Wrapped it and it came out ok.8FA4FF1F-927E-41F0-B0A5-65D1AA7C50A2.thumb.jpeg.ffb296606220cbfa91036283c2c1e837.jpeg

• Like 2
  • pal changed the title to Pal's 30l reboot help ati broke need new light