Coral Vue Hydros

Pal's 30l reboot help ati broke need new light

pal

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Beautifully natural-looking tank, I love it. I hope my 30L looks this good some day...

Got any recent pics?

Thanks for the compliment. I didn't know my photos were still working. I though photobucket shut me down. I  will upload some when I am in wifi land.

• 3 months later...

Haven't updated in a while. Tank has been running smoothly for most of the summer. With a few hiccups 

20170712_120332-1

Last month channel one on my light stopped working. Turned out it was a bad relay. I also accidentally unplugged my fan  and didn't notice for a week. Some of my sps started to bleach, but are now coloring back up

20171117_142848

20171103_121058

20171103_121001

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, pal said:

Haven't updated in a while. Tank has been running smoothly for most of the summer. With a few hiccups 

20170712_120332-1

Last month channel one on my light stopped working. Turned out it was a bad relay. I also accidentally unplugged my fan  and didn't notice for a week. Some of my sps started to bleach, but are now coloring back up

20171117_142848

20171103_121058

20171103_121001

In that last picture in the middle top .. is that a goniopora???  Looks like it to me . I was wondering bc looks like you have had it for about a year now and most say they barely last that long...just wondering how you have kept your looking good..

2 hours ago, pal said:

Nah not a gonipora, I know my pictures suck,A  DSLR is on the x mas list. I think what you are looking at are neon clove polyps or behind it is pipe organ. 

Dang I was hoping for another gonipora success story.. just got back into the hobbie after a 10 year break and first coral I grabbed was a Goni lfs said it wasn’t hard to keep haha suckers.. have had it close to six months now and is doing good so maybe I will get lucky because I really like this coral.

your photos look great I’ve been trying to find a good app on Android for photos but have yet to find one.. dslr is supposed to be nice but seems like a pain in the butt to me , but if I can’t find a decent app soon I might have to snag my wives for a photo shoot.. just don’t want to hassle with the camera , lenses , and then transfer photos seems like a pita. 

So something bad is happening and I  am not sure what is the cause. Two weeks ago I woke up to see a head of my hammer missing, one acro losing flesh at tips ,digitata looking sick,and monti caps bleaching. I  did a water change and changed my carbon. My guess was alk spike.I was out of reagents so I dialed back my dosing until they came. Tested today Alk is a little low from me dialing back 7.7 normally 8.3 and phosphate is .07 

Tissue loss has stopped on the acro .hammer looks ok  clowns are still  laying eggs,but my monti caps are getting worse.. I don't know what to do. Before photos november 

20171117_142848

20171103_121058

After whatever happened photos Dec 14

DSC_0076Not goodDSC_0071

Anyone got any ideas?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry dude. Same thing has happened to my monti and I think it was light. Even after I dialed down the intensity, the descent continued and my monti didn’t make it. Alk was a reasonable guess, but if not that, probably the light too strong. Our tanks are really shallow. 

That is quite strange. IME montis can survive anything, even knocking a Frag face down on the sand bed for 4 days, still alive. 

Tank looks AMAZING, always been a fav of mine. 

43 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Sorry dude. Same thing has happened to my monti and I think it was light. Even after I dialed down the intensity, the descent continued and my monti didn’t make it. Alk was a reasonable guess, but if not that, probably the light too strong. Our tanks are really shallow. 

I thought of lighting also ,but It has been under this light for over a year. I changed the bulbs in August and was careful and did two at a time over two weeks. 

45 minutes ago, samnaz said:

That is quite strange. IME montis can survive anything, even knocking a Frag face down on the sand bed for 4 days, still alive. 

Tank looks AMAZING, always been a fav of mine. 

It is strange this monti is almost two years old and usually grows like a weed. My green monti has always been finicky though.

This is maddening not knowing what happened, normally when something goes wrong it is my own dumb fault. 

1 hour ago, pal said:

I thought of lighting also ,but It has been under this light for over a year. I changed the bulbs in August and was careful and did two at a time over two weeks. 

It is strange this monti is almost two years old and usually grows like a weed. My green monti has always been finicky though.

This is maddening not knowing what happened, normally when something goes wrong it is my own dumb fault. 

Maybe the new bulbs are that much stronger?

12 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Maybe the new bulbs are that much stronger?

Maybe, but it went bad overnight  during lights out .I am stumped.  I am going to dim it a little increase the flow do some water changes and see what happens. Checked out your build thread all the softies look nice. I might go that route if I cant figure this out.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, pal said:

Maybe, but it went bad overnight  during lights out .I am stumped.  I am going to dim it a little increase the flow do some water changes and see what happens. Checked out your build thread all the softies look nice. I might go that route if I cant figure this out.

Thanks. I’m in the same boat. Softies are doing great, some stonies doing ok. I keep trying them, but I’m not going to change my routines to make stonies work when everything else is working. I’ll keep trying lol. 

Ugh..So after a a bunch of water changes and testing I still have no idea what happened to my monti cap ,digi ,and acro. Two weeks of staring at sick corals I decided to do something. The plan was to trim sick parts off the cap  frag what I could of the digi and acro. Monti cap trimming did not go as planned so most of it was removed.

Bye cap ugh

On the bright side my clowns are still spawning and now I have space to add something new.

• Sad 1

Haven't updated for a while. Haven't had much to update. Since losing my monti caps and acros tank has been on auto pilot.. to motivate myself I joined the grow out contest here.  Hanna reagents came today along with a new return pump..

2018-03-09_06-39-00

• Like 4
  • pal changed the title to Pal's 30l reboot help ati broke need new light