Equipment

Tank: Nuvo 24 Innovative marine 30L

Light: Maxspect razor ATI 36" 4x39W 2 blue + 2 coral +

Circulation: Stock return pump 2 spin streams Gyre xf130

Temp: Reef Safe Solutions controller Cobalt heater

ATO: AUQA Gadget HydroFill

Dosing: Kamoer 3 channel Brs two part

Skimmer: CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite Brs CO2 scrubber

FIltration/ media: Intank Media baskets Filter floss carbon Im desktop reactor GFo Gfo caused me problems

Water : Brs Rodi Red sea Blue Bucket

Electric : American Dj power strip

Cord management: none big old rat nest . Need to work on this

20171103_121001

Curent FTS

2017-01-06%2012.29.15_zpsxpdtvvih.jpg

Hello Nano-Reef. This is the story of my first/ second nano tank. A couple of years ago I researched  and decided on a nuvo 24. Right after I ordered they started cracking . So I waited and waited for 2nd gen . Finally arrived cycled with uncured Gulf reef live rock. Added some clowns and coral was so excited.A fter a few months it cracked. I was so bummed, saved my fish and corals put everything in rubbermaid bins and that is how it sat didn't even unbox the 30l when it came. Last December I decided to try again . so here we go with some crappy cell phone photos from my first year reefing. 3/15/16

20160315_103338_zpsg8sqwpmb.jpg

started out with Algae and Cyano problems from my neglect of the bins .

• Like 1

Looking good! What skimmer are you running? I just picked up a Tunze 2001 for my IM 30L

Thanks.I need to make an equipment list for my build thread. The skimmer is CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite. It works great, but is touchy to adjust. it needs to be at the proper water level and I have to clean it at least every two weeks . I will check out your build thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gave up on micro scrubbing bubbles for now  . The only way I could get small enough bubbles was to have the airstone right next to the return pump which caused salt creep problems with my ato .  started running an Algae reactor two weeks ago. "I know it is not a good idea to have it sitting on my temp controller I am an idiot and cut the returns to short "  chaetomorpha is really growing started out with 2 small clumps. How thick should I let it grow before I harvest?

20170224_104106_zpsva3th1xt.jpg

Dirty full tank shot . I am itching to get a DSLR ,can not get a good cell photo

DSC_0026_zpsvz3zmjpd.jpg

• Like 2

Here is where I  jinx myself by saying my tank is doing well. Since adding the macroalgae reactor my cyano problem dissappeared. 20170410_171628_zpsu2sexhqr.jpg

Also got my dosing dialed in and things are actually growing and encrusting .

20170224_103735_zpsbu6ecexp.jpg

the coraline algae I so wished for is growing so fast it is becoming a pain. So if everything continues to go well I am going to order a stick pack from either house of sticks or battle corals.

• Like 2

What differences have you seen in your corals since switching from LEDs to T5HO?

Also, are the colors in your pics true to what you see when you look at the tank?

It can be hard to capture, that's why I ask, and I have actually wondered how tanks under a combo of Coral Plus and Blue Plus bulbs looked.

• Like 1
mbarton2010
16 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

What differences have you seen in your corals since switching from LEDs to T5HO?

Also, are the colors in your pics true to what you see when you look at the tank?

It can be hard to capture, that's why I ask, and I have actually wondered how tanks under a combo of Coral Plus and Blue Plus bulbs looked.

Wondering the same. I have a 22" 24W T5 4 bulb over my planted tank that I'm thinking of dismantling. So might switch to T5 from LED in the future. Never used T5 for salt. Only LED and MH

21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well I started dosing 2 part when I switched from led to T5 so it is hard to say if it is just the light change .since those two changes though everything looks so much happier and almost everything is actually growing. My rbtas were small and losing color. under the t5 now they are neon and huge. The color in the pic is pretty close  a little less blue and more colorful in person. I really like the looks of t5 compared to the razor. 

3 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

Wondering the same. I have a 22" 24W T5 4 bulb over my planted tank that I'm thinking of dismantling. So might switch to T5 from LED in the future. Never used T5 for salt. Only LED and MH

This is my first tank and I started with led. I  am much happier with the t5s

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

When I kept tanks before (4-5 yrs ago, I guess), T5HO was definitely my favorite type of lighting over my Reef Tanks. 

However, I never got around to trying Coral+ bulbs and have been eyeing them at my LFS. 

1 minute ago, pal said:

Well I started dosing 2 part when I switched from led to T5 so it is hard to say if it is just the light change .since those two changes though everything looks so much happier and almost everything is actually growing. My rbtas were small and losing color. under the t5 now they are neon and huge. The color in the pic is pretty close  a little less blue and more colorful in person. I really like the looks of t5 compared to the razor. 

This is my first tank and I started with led. I  am much happier with the t5s

Thx!!!

I have a mix of natural sunshine and LED over my Pico Waterfall, but I have an old T5HO over my tank with the Macro Forest, and I know I need to replace bulbs soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • pal changed the title to Pal's 30l reboot help ati broke need new light