Top Shelf Aquatics

Is my clam a gonner?

flatlandreefer

flatlandreefer

I got a gold maxima from divers den yesterday. It doesn't seem to be able to close all the way and is looking like its in bad shape. Whats the verdict, is it a complete gonner?

034A2DFD-9A3A-4098-ABCE-C117259FAFE6_zps

Looks like it to me :( I have had bad luck with divers den clams as have others. Does it even close at all? If not, it's toast but I also don't think even if it was alive, it would recover from that. It is gaping badly.

It was reacting a little bit yesterday but looks worse this morning. It has no reaction at all when i cover up the light.

if it's dead, take it out or chop it up and feed it to your fish. You should be able to get a credit from Live Aquaria. You don't want it sitting there as it will eventually break down and pollute your tank.

gulfsurfer101

Yeah that guy is toast! Never feed a sick clam anything. All new clams should be qt'd. That one sick one could've taken out an entire tank of clams basically overnight.

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Sorry to hear that. It's not a good time of year to be shipping clams. I've ordered from them before in Dec where it was 85° when I made the purchase. They shipped it was 36 with a wind chill in the 20's. Due to the time of year they were delayed so instead of showing up before 10am the showed up around 8pm. All three were in bad shape. I called them up but they insested I add them into my tank. I set up in a 20l I intended to use as a qt but they were gone by the morning. I called them back up and they replaced that order as soon as it warmed back up.

flatlandreefer

Did they refund shipping as well? They used too. I haven't ordered from them in 5+ years.

I ordered a couple other things and it was over 160 so shipping was free. I have another thread going with pics of the fox coral and gorgonian that i received. The fox hasn't opened up yet and the gorg does't have any polyps out yet.

nobody replied to the other post...

I ordered a couple other things and it was over 160 so shipping was free. I have another thread going with pics of the fox coral and gorgonian that i received. The fox hasn't opened up yet and the gorg does't have any polyps out yet.

nobody replied to the other post...

Probably should have put everything in 1 post...

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, microworld said:

if i see the picture correctly, if that clam is in the corner of your tank, it may not be getting a lot of flow depending on your pump direction/ect. 

Old post....... read above- the Clam died.