Cultivated Reef

NEW Red Sea Reefer 170 Deluxe Build

tommygun

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditch the Sicce pump and get and Eheim Compact 2000. I had the Tunze version of the Sicce pump and it there was a noticeable hum so I switched it out to the Eheim and I'm so much happier.

The Gyre is a little much for a 34g tank.

MP10QW perhaps then.

Is there any other sand besides Tropic Eden :P. It's just a awesome sand really doesn't need rinsing. I have used them all and Tropic Eden is so much cleaner and white :wub: What does deluxe mean ? Awesome choice on the light BTW :D love Aquaillumination!

@Lawn Deluxe edition comes with AI Hydra 26 HD and the mounting arm so it looks flush with the Reefer 170

@Solitude127 I'm living in Los Angeles at the moment but will move into the new house in Anaheim near Disneyland..glad to see other local hobby guys!

Are Vortech MP10 pumps worth the money?

burtbollinger

@Lawn Deluxe edition comes with AI Hydra 26 HD and the mounting arm so it looks flush with the Reefer 170

@Solitude127 I'm living in Los Angeles at the moment but will move into the new house in Anaheim near Disneyland..glad to see other local hobby guys!

Are Vortech MP10 pumps worth the money?

Yes, they are worth it. Great product, great customer service...super clean asthetics with no wires inside the tank....AND as a bonus, you attach to the Ecotech Battery Backup, and there's your emergency pump that can last days during a power outage. There also a version that ties in to that Apex you're looking at i think.

I have a Sicce 5.0 on my XL425 and it is silent, no issues at all, Since you're getting a new Apex, you could get a single one of the Neptune WAV pumps ($199) and plugs into the builtin 1link on the EB832. They push a lot of water and I have both mine turned way down because I went with small grain sand in this tank (Caribsea Hawaiian black.) I have Tropic Eden in another tank and loved the look of it when I put it in there, but never had such a bad diatom bloom before in the same tank with Caribsea. Took way to much work to get rid of the diatoms and I have read plenty of people with the same issue. I also read plenty of people who love it and never had an issue.

I have a Sicce 5.0 on my XL425 and it is silent, no issues at all, Since you're getting a new Apex, you could get a single one of the Neptune WAV pumps ($199) and plugs into the builtin 1link on the EB832. They push a lot of water and I have both mine turned way down because I went with small grain sand in this tank (Caribsea Hawaiian black.) I have Tropic Eden in another tank and loved the look of it when I put it in there, but never had such a bad diatom bloom before in the same tank with Caribsea. Took way to much work to get rid of the diatoms and I have read plenty of people with the same issue. I also read plenty of people who love it and never had an issue.

I had the opposite experience with sand brands :blink:

burtbollinger

Is there something in the Tropic Eden sand that caused the diatom bloom?

I'm putting my faith in Lawn. Tropic Eden or bust :P

That said, if your LFS has clean, rinsed sand that you KNOW you like the look of, go for it. Not to mention...From the looks of your spending, you deserve a financial break somewhere.

burtbollinger

My family and I just bought a new house so we definitely want to add a jewel to the living room. Also my family is a believer in Feng Shui (its a big deal out here in LA lol) and they said aquariums placed in the living room will bring prosperity and wealth due to water movement and life. Burt is right that reef tanks can be the crown jewel of the home. But in feng shui theory a tank will only bring good energy if the inhabitants are healthy and the tank well maintained. So to do this right and bring prosperity in the home I will drop dough to do it once and do it right :happy: .

this is awesome, btw.

mines in my living room and i feel like a crazy person with a crazy blue tank and soon to be 3 little kids running around.

Is there something in the Tropic Eden sand that caused the diatom bloom?

Not that I know of and I still like the way it looks once I got passed the diatoms. That tank is a JBJ-45 and I moved it to put the Reefer XL425 where it was. Decided I would just change to new sand when I did it and people raved about Tropic Eden so I gave it a try. I had to swap that same tank about 8 months before when it broke and I was sent a replacement and had changed out the Caribsea sand with new Caribsea. Nothing changed with lighting schedules or equipment or anything else, maybe I just had bad luck.

this is awesome, btw.

mines in my living room and i feel like a crazy person with a crazy blue tank and soon to be 3 little kids running around.

Yea the tank should bring good energy into the home if placed correctly and the inhabitants are happy. You can do a google search about the feng shui benefits of aquariums if you want. I've personally seen some people's businesses skyrocket after they placed an aquarium in their restaurants or offices. Aquarium in the bedroom is bad tho.

burtbollinger

I just did...been reading about it for last hour or so....LOL...was google mapping to make sure I dont have it in the center of my house. fine line between prosperity and ruin, apparently.

I just did...been reading about it for last hour or so....LOL...was google mapping to make sure I dont have it in the center of my house. fine line between prosperity and ruin, apparently.

LOL yea there is a definite fine line, but for the most part most places in your house you can place a tank without negative energy, only the bedroom and the kitchen being no-no's. But certain areas of the house do activate certain energies whatever you're looking for. Living room location is the best as long its against a wall and not dead center.

We actually hired a very highly rated feng shui consultant in LA to design a good feel to our house so I learned a lot.

Having 8 or 9 fishes is the perfect amount, those two numbers are considered luckiest numbers for prosperity (lucky number in Chinese culture is 8).

And always have 1 black fish, which in my case would be a black ocellaris clown to pair with a normal orange one. The consultant said the black fish is your "bad luck absorber" and whenever a black fish dies for no reason in your tank it absorbed bad energy or luck that was coming your way, thereby saving you some trouble. Black fishes are like your shield. Interesting stuff lol. Feng Shui has been around since 2500 BC.

Ancient Chinese and Japs kept goldfish in this type of setup..8 goldfish and 1 black..

ca659b70d6781a8cf30b75f03e5f18b9.jpg

burtbollinger

some are ok, I dont wanna offend anyone, and this is just my opinion, but some of these mutant clowns are just ugly...snowflakes, flurries, etc.

All black is one thing, or a beautiful classic piccaso...but some of these clowns remind me of burn victims or something....just horrid looking. I kinda went with classic clowns in protest (and I can't afford anything else)

burtbollinger

I don't wanna talk too much on an open public forum about overbreeding...because #1. i'm mostly ignorant. #2. don't wanna bash anyone's livelyhood...but I've heard and read some things...also influenced me to go basic.

fishfreak0114

LOL yea there is a definite fine line, but for the most part most places in your house you can place a tank without negative energy, only the bedroom and the kitchen being no-no's. But certain areas of the house do activate certain energies whatever you're looking for. Living room location is the best as long its against a wall and not dead center.

We actually hired a very highly rated feng shui consultant in LA to design a good feel to our house so I learned a lot.

Having 8 or 9 fishes is the perfect amount, those two numbers are considered luckiest numbers for prosperity (lucky number in Chinese culture is 8).

And always have 1 black fish, which in my case would be a black ocellaris clown to pair with a normal orange one. The consultant said the black fish is your "bad luck absorber" and whenever a black fish dies for no reason in your tank it absorbed bad energy or luck that was coming your way, thereby saving you some trouble. Black fishes are like your shield. Interesting stuff lol. Feng Shui has been around since 2500 BC.

Ancient Chinese and Japs kept goldfish in this type of setup..8 goldfish and 1 black..

ca659b70d6781a8cf30b75f03e5f18b9.jpg

Very interesting! I think I'm going to do some more reading on feng shui. And uh oh between kitchen and bedroom there's 4 tanks! At least we have 4 in the living room :)

Archived