Innovative Marine Aquariums

Filter pads question

Hunt3r

Hi guys i have a fluval edge 6g mixed reef with live sand and rocks. Question is have anybody tried using nitrite pads or ammonia pads? Ive been running my tank with purigen sponge and phosguard and lately ive been noticing my acans doesnt plump up big since i added the phosguard. Check my numbers and po4 is zero lfs did it and told me to remove the phosguard and i did. Now i remove the phosguard im down to purigen and sponge as my filter. Now i was thinking of is my nitrate and ammonia. I dont have carbon in my filter. Will nitrite/nitrate ammonia pads work? After im done with my purigen ill be swicthing to cheminpire elite or blue.

You shouldn't see ammonia in the tank after you cycle it unless something drastic has changed. Find the source of the ammonia. Same goes for nitrite. You shouldn't see it at all. The ammonia and nitrite pads are just bandaids and you still need to figure out the source of your issue. Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates and let us know the results.

You shouldn't see ammonia in the tank after you cycle it unless something drastic has changed. Find the source of the ammonia. Same goes for nitrite. You shouldn't see it at all. The ammonia and nitrite pads are just bandaids and you still need to figure out the source of your issue. Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates and let us know the results.

My water parameters are in check. My tank is up for 6 months. Just worried about those stuff that happens all of a sudden. Just a thought of putting those together with purigen and sponge..

If your tank is cycled, there should be no ammonia or nitrite. There is no need or benefit of using those products.

The only time you need to worry about ammonia in a tank is if you decide to move a bunch of rocks stirring up everything, death in the tank, major changes.

In those cases you just dose seachem prime to bind the ammonia.

In your filter you should use filter floss chsnged out 2 times a week, a good carbon in a media bag(matrix or kent carbon), purigen is fine, phosguard as needed.

Archived