Top Shelf Aquatics

IM 30 in-tank fuge efficacy?

--chris--

My tank was a bargain we picked up last year that came with 3 in-tank baskets. One of them is the fuge basket. I am considering setting up the fuge basket with chaeto and a magnetic light (like the IM fuge light) but would like to hear from others if this little fuge would be effective?

I imagine a baseball size clump of chaeto would fit; has anyone noticed efficacy with chaeto in this configuration?

MainelyReefer

I run a fuge in the first overflow of my IM40 with the magnafuge LED, with out an intank refugium but instead a filter floss holder, though would likely prefer your setup with the Intank to hold it all together. I say go for it I'm harvesting every two weeks and it is overflowing and has increased my microfauna a ton, it has definitely been effective for my uses

It may help it may not. Some say for a fuge to be beneficial it must be something like 20% of the tank volume.

Regardless, chaeto will take time to work on nutrients, you won't see immediate results.

I have seen quite amazing results with chaeto. With my very first 29G tank my nitrate was through the roof at the end of the cycle, like 80+. I tossed a ball of chaeto in a low flow hob breeder box under a CFL bulb just to experiment. In about 2 days it went to below 5. Maybe I got super chaeto or something.

It may help it may not. Some say for a fuge to be beneficial it must be something like 20% of the tank volume.

Regardless, chaeto will take time to work on nutrients, you won't see immediate results.

I have seen quite amazing results with chaeto. With my very first 29G tank my nitrate was through the roof at the end of the cycle, like 80+. I tossed a ball of chaeto in a low flow hob breeder box under a CFL bulb just to experiment. In about 2 days it went to below 5. Maybe I got super chaeto or something.

Macro is amazing :lol: I have a 40 breeder and all I have is macro in the sump. No skimmer or filter sock.

I had a 48x24x10 frag tank with a 40 breeder fuge (half filled with chaeto) that did wonders for the tank...but like was mentioned above, I just don't know if a small portion of chaeto will even be worth the cost and effort of maintenance?

Archived