ReefCleaners.org

TJ's 265 Beast - Finally Fish!!!

TJ_Burton

Hey all,

Been out of the reef game for a little while when it comes to personal aquariums. A lot has happened in the last couple years. Moved to my first home, had my first baby (well, my wife had her, but you know what I mean) and ultimately spent a lot of time working hard rather than playing hard.

I have basically been without my own aquarium at the house ever since the move, so I figured I would do what any tankless aquarist would in my situation, and got a tank. Mind you this build is a bit special, as it is being video documented every step of the way (links to videos below).

Confession time,
I personally have kept my place of work to myself ever since joining NR many years ago, and that is mostly because I come to NR to enjoy my personal time with other hobbyists, and I didn't want to be seen as simply a member of the company I work for, but rather a passionate hobbyist. I think it has been long enough, and I've made enough friends along the way that letting the cat out of the bag shouldn't change the way my fellow NR members see me. I am none other than Thomas of Big Al's.

With that out of the way, on to the build!

I wanted to get a nice big tank that my daughter could enjoy from the floor in her playroom (my basement). After getting in touch with a few companies and figuring out what options fit my budget, I ended up snagging a 265 gallon Marineland tank, stand, and canopy. Of course I went with overflows, because I wasn't sure if I was going fresh or salt, and either way I love sumps.

So far, this is what the build looks like:

15800069_10154536952488283_8384084022944

I have decided to go freshwater for now because I need a tank that will be low-cost to maintain, require less attention, and ultimately be stacked with fish that my daughter can appreciate from the floor. If I go salt, I would have to go reef (because how could I not?) and then I'd want SPS and clams, and end up spending a lot more than I had hoped to on both equipment and maintenance.

I did however keep a conversion to saltwater in mind, and set things up in a way that would easily translate over to a big reef when that day potentially comes.

(Evolving) Equipment List:
- 265 Gallon Marineland CornerFlo Aquarium (Montery Stand & Canopy)
- Pro Clear Freedom 4-in-1 300 Sump & Fluval FX6 Canister
- 72" Current USA IC LED Light

15675803_10154498821613283_5572406459646

For those interested in following the build through Big Al's VOD:

Delivery Day
https://youtu.be/kSKHmMdpf-A

Tank/Stand/Canopy overview
https://youtu.be/TlyJB2rwKnc

Filtration overview

https://youtu.be/VF25t0cgKgg

Lighting overview

https://youtu.be/Kfo5QKwwWAM

Leveling the Aquarium

https://youtu.be/2jTgdWZ586I

I will update this thread as things progress, post photos of some upgrades I've done that aren't covered in the video series (like under cabinet lighting, magnetic door locks, cord management, etc), and hopefully inspire some of you to go massive!

• Like 10

Just curious why not FOWLR? Either way that is a sweet tank. I will be following along.

Salt costs, and I know myself... Ain't no way I can go salt and not go reef.

Besides, I can fit way more freshwater fish in that 265 comfortably than I could if I went salt FOWLR.

• Like 1

love the videos! Hey man your wife already has a freshwater tank with the betas and such....Pretty sure you need to put salt in this one to have one of each in the house ;)

• Like 2

love the videos! Hey man your wife already has a freshwater tank with the betas and such....Pretty sure you need to put salt in this one to have one of each in the house ;)

I am tearing down the wife's tank when this one is running, so maybe I will do another nano. I've always been a fan of those Redsea Reefers... we shall see.

• Like 2

I am tearing down the wife's tank when this one is running, so maybe I will do another nano. I've always been a fan of those Redsea Reefers... we shall see.

Red Sea Nano or 170 would be a perfect reef complement to this tank!
  • Like 2

Hahaha this is why I love NR!

Central or South American cichlids are one livestock choice I am considering.

As for the reef, it WILL happen, just not in a 265, and not until after it is completed. If I ever do convert the 265 (a couple years maybe) I'd likely just do a big soft coral reef with angels and some other fun fish.

I actually already have a Gen 4 Radion Pro kicking around for the next nano reef I put together ;)

• Like 2

We can drag him over to the dark side. He's just trying to be good, we know he's a reefer inside. :D

Oh, I shall reef again... you have not seen the last reef of TJ!

• Like 1