Cultivated Reef

Homemade reef-safe glass cleaner?

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

kids are touching the glass non-stop. Lots of hand, nose and mouth prints because the new clowns are 'trying to kiss them.'

what's a good DIY cleaner? was thinking a spray bottle with RO/DI + white vinegar.

any other options?

Vinegar is safe.

I've used windex but i spray it on the cloth far away from my tank.

There are glass cleaners on the market, I think its Kent who makes it.

kids are touching the glass non-stop. Lots of hand, nose and mouth prints because the new clowns are 'trying to kiss them.'

what's a good DIY cleaner? was thinking a spray bottle with RO/DI + white vinegar.

any other options?

Try some distilled water unless there is something that is not water soluble and needs the vinegar.

Peroxide or vinegar (anyone have a rule of thumb for concentrations?) mixed w/rodi. Cheap & easy to come by.

I use 1tsp in a 500ml bottle. Because you should always use more than one measurement system whenever possible. ;)

I've been using melamine foam (Mr clean magic eraser) and it's been doing awesome. No chemicals and it gets all the fingerprints and salt spots off the glass, then a dry paper towel to dry the glass.

RO/DI and a squeegee or magic eraser (or generic equivilent, awesome for cleaning algae in the tank too), or adding a small amount of vinegar if needed. Microfiber cloths work well also, as long as they don't get too wet.

• 3 months later...

I have always used castle ammonia glass cleaner. for 20 yrs now and never had a problem. unless your literally spraying it in the water a small amount of glass cleaner sprayed onto a cloth a few feet away from the tank should work fine. and has for me ymmv as always..

Archived