Cultivated Reef

Frogfish's Nano Cube - Long Overdue FTS

YaBoyLaj

Last night I was able to find the fish that would cap off (for now) the fish in my 12! an elongate dottyback! He is gorgeous and looks like a swimming sunset, kept a close eye on him, so did my bimaculatus, and they're all getting along great! 

• Like 1

Budged and got a porcelain crab yesterday, the one i've had in my 30 for nearly 2 years dissapeared recently, maybe he'll show up, but now I have one for the RFA in the 12 and i love him haha, and may or may not have snagged my first ugly as hell SPS too :P

This was taken a little while back in late august. Since then the torch, duncans, acan, blasto and a few others have been moved around, but I felt inclined to actually get something on this thread.

IMG_2491.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So many things have happened and I've been lazy and haven't updated this thread so here we go! My kenya tree randomly shriveled and died, which is strange because all the other leathers are doing great, also, my torch got brown jelly, thankfully it happened shortly after i stocked up on salt and was able to do a big water change to avoid any other fatalities, it's both a curse and a blessing, I never should have put a torch that big in a 12 gallon, it kept my hammers from expanding all the way and stung the crap out of any coral it touched, and may have possibly killed the kenya tree. The sea fan I got at RAP is amazingly doing really well, just feeding it and high flow seem to keep it happy, but sadly my black suns and more suprisingly my pink ones who have grown 7 heads since i brought them home flat out stopped opening, I've tried prompters, complete darkness and no luck, I'm actually getting pretty nervous about them... but I guess I just have to keep my head up and keep trying :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

So, good news! While working in the tank last night, I found a little kenya tree growing on a small rock on the substrate! I guess when the original was dying, it decided to throw out some spores, I'm not complaining :lol: all the corals are doing really well, except for the black sun corals, I simply can't get them to open, but the pinks are back to opening on a nightly basis! Religious feedings helped I guess! I am also considering changing my weekly water changes to every other week, any thoughts on this? I have a fairly diverse mix of corals and I'm not sure how some will react :huh: I'm going to do one tomorrow, idk why, I'm just incredibly hesitant to change the schedule up, I've done a 4 gallon w/c every sunday for the past 8 months... lol

• 3 weeks later...

Moved some corals around and seeing a big payoff! Sadly somehow while doing so, a single section of hammer skeleton chipped off and is now just kind of hanging there, The other polyps are opening fine thankfully, I've heard some pretty crazy stories about this kind of thing  though so I'm hoping it can mend itself up :( Besides that though, the tank hasn't changed much at all

• Like 1

I know what you mean about messing with the water change schedule. When you find something works it's scary to think about changing it :lol:

Fingers crossed for the kenya tree frag!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Figured I'd post an update on the ol' cube as well lol, first off, it's still going, definitely not as pretty as it used to be, but I like how it looks tbh. Lots of things happened in this system, all the euphyllias got hit with brown jelly and all but one fish died or completely dissapeared, all who's left is my 8y/o yellowtail damsel who is still as chubby and lively as ever and my super pretty yet cryptic blue coral banded shrimp( Stenopus tenuirostris). As far as corals, there ain't much, almost all of them were moved over to the 10, but the mint pipe organ, green sinularia and kenya tree are still thriving 🙂 Last few additions were a gorgeous neon green/yellow RFA from RAP this last weekend and some of the various shrooms that were taking up too much room in the 10. I got really into growing macros over the past couple months and have been tending a massive chunk of Codium and halymenia sp which both started with a tiny little clipping. Maintenance is minimal as the tank is super established and the macros do a great job of keeping the nutrients in check. All I really do is clean the glass, trim the macros when needed and dose calcium, alkalinity and IONS every couple days. I was debating on turning the tank into a pipefish display with a pair of small group of blue striped pipefish ((Doryrhamphus excisus) or go with a personal favorite and do a mix of commensial shrimp species... I'm going with shrimp as I plan to rehouse them into a nano biotope when I move into an apartment. I plan on adding a few periclimenes and anclyomenes species as well as a couple urocaridella sp. shrimps. Small oddball shrimp have always been super fascinating to me, I have housed harlequins and a few periclimenes brevicarpalis, but this was before I found that they became parasitic to their host nems. I hope to start stocking the tank up with some little dudes soon 🤞

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Have you tracked the growth of the macro with pictures? I'm a mers for that sorta thing 😎

Sadly not haha, I just kinda let it do its own thang while I was away from the hobby haha, ill whip the nikon out later and grab some shots 🙂

3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Good to see you @YaBoyLaj!

Glad to hear the tank is still up and running! That new yellow green rock flower anemone sounds cool.

It's super pretty and for only 25 bucks too haha

• Like 2