Top Shelf Aquatics

Walt smith reef project rock 2.1 dry acid bath?

Indiana Reefin

Indiana Reefin

I want to buy this purple dry rock but really don't want to put it in my tank and have it leach phosphates. I am also worried that if I give it an acid bath the purple color will go away. What should I do to prevent phosphates from leaching out to a mature tank?

burtbollinger

I'm using it, no phosphate leakage. I soaked in RO/DI water which I changed out 5 times.

I certainly would not give it an acid bath.

Indiana Reefin

Okay thanks. Do you think it would be okay to add to a tank that already has cycled? I really don't want to cause a large cycle.

burtbollinger

I had SOME flaking, but that occurred in the RO/DI container. I also did very vigorous rinsing under pressure several times. No flaking in the display...yet.

Personally, I would give it a good long soak, then add. please research this a bit further...as I started a new tank with it, not doing what you are planning.

Indiana Reefin

Okay. I could soak it for a couple of weeks in distilled water for a couple of weeks and perform a couple of water changes

how long has your tank been cycled? you can try cycling this separately in a bucket for a week or two before adding it to your exiting tank

I think I will go this route. I will buy some sand as well. I need add more sand as well. I actually going to upgrade to a larger tank fro a 5 gallon to a 18. The 5 gallon has been going for 9 months.

Okay. I could soak it for a couple of weeks in distilled water for a couple of weeks and perform a couple of water changes

I think I will go this route. I will buy some sand as well. I need add more sand as well. I actually going to upgrade to a larger tank fro a 5 gallon to a 18. The 5 gallon has been going for 9 months.

if possible, i would start the new tank with the new rock and sand, cycle it, and then transfer the 5g over

burtbollinger
"ReefRock 2.1 is a dry rock that should be cured before use." via BRS

also, for sand, a forum user here recommended Tropic Eden Tonga Reef Flakes to me, and it's really amazing stuff. BRS doesn't carry but its worth reading up on.

Okay thanks. Do you think it would be okay to add to a tank that already has cycled? I really don't want to cause a large cycle.

Yes. its man made rock. There is no organic matter on it to decay and cause another cycle. If your tanks already cycled just rinse it off and toss it in. You will basically be curing it in your tank. It would be beneficial to cure it but in my experience with man made rock its not necessary.

Do you guys think I should just go with cured live rock from a local store to prevent the cycle

That depends on your LFS some will tell you its cured when in reality they just got it the day prior. Buy yourself a 15 gallon brute, a cheap pump and cure it yourself. You really should have a 15-30 gallon brute and pump on hand just cause.

Indiana Reefin

Yes. its man made rock. There is no organic matter on it to decay and cause another cycle. If your tanks already cycled just rinse it off and toss it in. You will basically be curing it in your tank. It would be beneficial to cure it but in my experience with man made rock its not necessary.

That depends on your LFS some will tell you its cured when in reality they just got it the day prior. Buy yourself a 15 gallon brute, a cheap pump and cure it yourself. You really should have a 15-30 gallon brute and pump on hand just cause.

I think I will just go with this dry rock, new sand, and some of my tank water and sand and let it cycle for 20-30 days in a gallon bucket

***5 gallon bucket

I think I will just go with this dry rock, new sand, and some of my tank water and sand and let it cycle for 20-30 days in a gallon bucket

***5 gallon bucket

That's exactly what I would recommend doing. Rock itself doesn't leach phosphates, but the dried organic material on the rock breaks down into nitrate and phosphate. In this case, the Reefrock 2.1 doesn't have the organics on it but it is still beneficial to cure the rock to build up a biofilm, reduce any chances of a pH swing, and make sure it's clean of dust and small particles.

Indiana Reefin

That's exactly what I would recommend doing. Rock itself doesn't leach phosphates, but the dried organic material on the rock breaks down into nitrate and phosphate. In this case, the Reefrock 2.1 doesn't have the organics on it but it is still beneficial to cure the rock to build up a biofilm, reduce any chances of a pH swing, and make sure it's clean of dust and small particles.

Thanks!!!

Archived