Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes SPS Dropoff Peninsula-New Skimmer

Rehype

Hey teeny I just tested mine and there were no leaks. Let me know what marine depot says

Hey Tibbs! Thanks alot man I appreciate you checking in. Are you starting a new tank soon or are you still on hiatus?

Excellent, that's good to know! I'll let you know what they say but based on how good they usually are I'm sure there won't be any problem getting it right.

• Like 1

So I decided on filtration after going back and forth on the method

Uploading pics shortly

I'm curious to see what you can fit in that back chamber. Skimmer + calcium reactor + heater + return pump already seems too much for that space.

• Like 1

Hey teeny I just tested mine and there were no leaks. Let me know what marine depot says

Hey Tibbs! Thanks alot man I appreciate you checking in. Are you starting a new tank soon or are you still on hiatus?

Not sure. I would like one, but it'd have to be a pico again and I'm just not digging the tank options for that size. Still mulling it over.

Excellent, that's good to know! I'll let you know what they say but based on how good they usually are I'm sure there won't be any problem getting it right.

Yea I was definitely nervous but so far so good. Im sure they will take care of it just glad you caught it early.

I'm curious to see what you can fit in that back chamber. Skimmer + calcium reactor + heater + return pump already seems too much for that space.

Well theres two return pumps,two 150 watt heaters and the skimmer. The calcium reactor sits behind the tank as it designed for external use. I still have to add an additional pump to feed the reactor but thats going to be a pretty small pump.

Heres a diagram of the dimensions

RC35%20CAD%20Dimensions_zps25yw2u6e.jpg

Nailed the scape. It's interesting to look at without corals- I'm sure it'll be outstanding with them.

Following

Thanks alot man. I've actually grown fond of how it looks without life ..lol

Appreciate it.

Not sure. I would like one, but it'd have to be a pico again and I'm just not digging the tank options for that size. Still mulling it over.

How about something custom?

Rock formation looks amazing. Don't go ruining it by covering it in corals now :D

Have you done the calcium reactor in the past? if so what are your experiences with it and reasons for doing it over two part or kalk?

• Like 2

How about something custom?

It's possible, but the cost may go more than I want for the tank size. We'll see. I'd really prefer a drilled tank with a sump instead of an AIO, but drilling such a small tank doesn't really make that much sense.

Rock formation looks amazing. Don't go ruining it by covering it in corals now :D

Have you done the calcium reactor in the past? if so what are your experiences with it and reasons for doing it over two part or kalk?

Thanks alot scorched.im tempted to make it FOWLR... Lol jk

I had a reactor on my first reef tank and while it takes a bit of testing and adjustments to get it dialed in,once it's locked in its fantastic. Two part dosing works great but I really love how a reactor is continually adding back all the chemicals/elements to the water in the correct proportions, as they are consumed by coral and other animals.

It's possible, but the cost may go more than I want for the tank size. We'll see. I'd really prefer a drilled tank with a sump instead of an AIO, but drilling such a small tank doesn't really make that much sense.

Totally understand...well look forward to whatever you come up with.

So I finally decided on the primary means of nutrient export for this build...macroalgae reactor. I was debating on a DIY model like the one recommended by marine depot or the cleartides algae reactor. My only reservation with the DIY model was I preferred the leds to be on the inside of the reactor while my issues with the cleartides model was it would take about 4 weeks to deliver and if there were any issues I would have to wait for parts to be shipped from the UK. In any case I was literally about to hit the buy it now on the cleartides and I got a message for a used Pax bellum ARID Macroalgae reactor...so naturally I went with that. Its a very cool looking reactor now I just have to order a pump and some tubing.

Some pics

32159723463_9a9567ebb8.jpg   32159723763_3489e957a3.jpg

• Like 11
40 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Whoa how have I never heard of an algae reactor before?!

Basically a contained refugium sans-rock/substrate. Nifty idea. I actually made one years ago out of an old Magnum canister filter body and a couple of small power compacts.

Slick unit that Hype picked up!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rehype said:

So I finally decided on the primary means of nutrient export for this build...macroalgae reactor. I was debating on a DIY model like the one recommended by marine depot or the cleartides algae reactor. My only reservation with the DIY model was I preferred the leds to be on the inside of the reactor while my issues with the cleartides model was it would take about 4 weeks to deliver and if there were any issues I would have to wait for parts to be shipped from the UK. In any case I was literally about to hit the buy it now on the cleartides and I got a message for a used Pax bellum ARID Macroalgae reactor...so naturally I went with that. Its a very cool looking reactor now I just have to order a pump and some tubing.

Some pics

32159723463_9a9567ebb8.jpg   32159723763_3489e957a3.jpg

That sucker is gonna grow some chaeto! haha

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Sometimes I live under a live rock too......

:)

Pax Bellum is pretty rad, and until recently they did not make smaller versions of the reactor.

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw those reactors and a bunch of other really expensive equipment on uniquecorals's website...but never seen one used before. This is going to be so cool! 

Marc.The.Shark

I've seen a mixed bag of results on people diy'ing them, but the concept is pretty simple, light plus moderate flow & it should be a home run. Of course you have to have nutrients to export & maybe that's where the problems I was reading about were coming in. I put one on my tank with 0 NO3 & PO4 and the macro's gonna die! Lol. Fail!! I'm dumpin stump remover in every few days!! I need a Stump Remover Reactor!.....Lightbulb!!!! SRR = cash cow!! Hahaha, my ticket out of the ghetto!!!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yea reefers have been DIYing them for years but it seems its gain more traction over the last few years with some manufacturers making dedicated models

2 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

Basically a contained refugium sans-rock/substrate. Nifty idea. I actually made one years ago out of an old Magnum canister filter body and a couple of small power compacts.

Slick unit that Hype picked up!!!

Yep if I had a sump I would've gone with a traditional refugium but this is a really nice alternative.

Thanks bud. They're pretty overpriced for what they actually are as you easily can make one with an old media reactor but I will give them all the credit for making it look like a serious piece of tech.

1 hour ago, braaap said:

That sucker is gonna grow some chaeto! haha

It sure is! lol heres a pic of the growth the previous owner was getting:

32600605880_42e6563056_q.jpg

1 hour ago, jstuver said:

Thats dang cool! I hadn't ever heard of one before now!

Thanks! Most reefers haven't but they seem to be catching on.

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Sometimes I live under a live rock too......

:)

Pax Bellum is pretty rad, and until recently they did not make smaller versions of the reactor.

Its nothing special really just a turbocharged refugium.

They came up with a killer design... I wanted to buy one based solely on how it looks. 

1 hour ago, Nano sapiens said:

Now there's something you don't see everday :)  Curious to see how this works out...

Thanks nano. Ive ran refugiums on most of my tanks with very positive results and im expecting this unit to perform identically.

1 hour ago, Oceanus said:

Yeah, I saw those reactors and a bunch of other really expensive equipment on uniquecorals's website...but never seen one used before. This is going to be so cool! 

Thanks! Now I have to go buy a fish lol

1 hour ago, Marc.The.Shark said:

I've seen a mixed bag of results on people diy'ing them, but the concept is pretty simple, light plus moderate flow & it should be a home run. Of course you have to have nutrients to export & maybe that's where the problems I was reading about were coming in. I put one on my tank with 0 NO3 & PO4 and the macro's gonna die! Lol. Fail!! I'm dumpin stump remover in every few days!! I need a Stump Remover Reactor!.....Lightbulb!!!! SRR = cash cow!! Hahaha, my ticket out of the ghetto!!!

Yea marine depot posted a great vid not too long ago:

I chatted with a few current and previous owners of the system and their feedback was nearly identical. The units perform almost too well so they typically had to reduce the photoperiod to

prevent the water from being stripped clean.

:D

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Sexy!!

I know right! 

52 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Oh man, even if it doesn't work you're going to have to keep using it because it is so cool looking B)

:lol: your right ill just have to turn it into a rad biopellet or carbon reactor. B)

• Like 3