SaltCritters.com

biocube 29 reactor question

shawnyboy66

Anyone using the BRS mini reactor on their biocube 29 with GFO/Carbon mix? Just wondering if i can take out the stock return in chamber 3, replace with a MJ1200 that goes to the reactor under cabinet then out the stock return nozzle. I am worried that once it is tuned to tumble it won't have enough flow. I have a jaebo wp-10 to help with flow.

Probably won't work to feed both the reactor and provide enough flow as a return pump... way too much head loss. If you have room in one of the other chambers, it's probably best to give the reactor it's own dedicated pump and keep a dedicated return pump.

Really it will depend upon what space you have that is still available in your rear chambers. If I recall correctly, you have chaeto in chamber 1 and a useless skimmer in chamber 2? Are you running an InTank media basket too? I'd say either sacrifice the chaeto or the non functioning skimmer to make room for the reactor. If it were me, I'd say get rid of the chaeto as that relatively small amount is pretty much useless in our tanks and in my experience leads to extra detritus in the back chambers. The skimmer even though it isn't working well at the very minimum keeps your tank oxygenated, helping to maintain your ph levels.

Took the Skimmer out as it was not skimming. nothing in chamber one right now. Media basket and chaeto in 2, heater and return pump in 3

I have also considered adding a sump with the limited size of the stand not sure I could fit anything bigger than a 5 gal in there. Not sure how much an extra 5 gals would help and if I could fit a skimmer or reactor in there. I am having continued issues with algae and cyano ( green this time) So I obviously need to do more than current practices.

Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor definitely fits in chamber 1 or you could get a full size reactor and fit the feed pump in there too. I know you've been fighting algae for quite some time... Have you considered the Vibrant stuff? I know not everyone has had the same experience with it but FWIW, I still have my 8oz bottle from over a month ago, I dose 2ml twice a week. Sandbed is nice and white again and my minor GHA issues are gone.

I have been using vibrant for a couple of weeks. At first looked promising. Now not so much

Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor definitely fits in chamber 1 or you could get a full size reactor and fit the feed pump in there too. I know you've been fighting algae for quite some time... Have you considered the Vibrant stuff? I know not everyone has had the same experience with it but FWIW, I still have my 8oz bottle from over a month ago, I dose 2ml twice a week. Sandbed is nice and white again and my minor GHA issues are gone.

Archived