Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nola & Bosco's Red Sea E260 - New FTS

Nola Bear

From MarineDepot website: "AquaMaxx WS-1 protein skimmers are easy to setup and maintain. Just move the collection cup up or down to adjust the foam level to wet or dry."

Have you tried doing that? It also comes with a drain line so you could just let it overflow and drain back to the back chamber for a few days to break it in.

From MarineDepot website: "AquaMaxx WS-1 protein skimmers are easy to setup and maintain. Just move the collection cup up or down to adjust the foam level to wet or dry."

Have you tried doing that? It also comes with a drain line so you could just let it overflow and drain back to the back chamber for a few days to break it in.

Oh yes, I have had the cup all the way up and I built a stand to lift it up a bit higher since it is recommend to be between 8-10" water. So you think it will only take a couple of days to get to normal operation?

Thanks for the input btw! :flower:

np, love your pics. it's normal for it to overflow for a couple of days or even a week.

Thanks buddy! I'll just have to man up and deal with the overflow then...

Skimmer is breaking in nicely. The only thing I didn't really account for is how high it has to stick up out of the back chamber. I might need to get the back cover/wall thing that Red Sea puts on these e series tanks.

I ran it in 3:1 water to vin for half a day, and then I rinsed and ran in a 5 gal bucket with saltwater for two days. Now I have it in the tank and it is producing a nice and dark skimmate.

I do have a ton of microbubbles, but I had them before I put in the skimmer, so I need to figure out what is causing them.

• Like 1

Nice Tank! I like the scape a lot as well as the time and effort you spent in putting it all together. Finding deals is quite satisfying though I don't have nearly as good of deals in my "neck of the woods" but somehow I manage as well :)

Got some details on your camera setup? Pics are nice and the white balance is pleasing.

• Like 1

Nice Tank! I like the scape a lot as well as the time and effort you spent in putting it all together. Finding deals is quite satisfying though I don't have nearly as good of deals in my "neck of the woods" but somehow I manage as well :)

Got some details on your camera setup? Pics are nice and the white balance is pleasing.

Thanks buddy! I'm pretty darn lucky over here in Tampa/st. Pete. Got a huge frag swap in two weeks too. Can't wait. It ls in our Museum of science and industry.

The camera is a canon 50d that we've had for at least 6-7 years. It's a great camera. Way too technical for me. I just use iPhoto for messing with the temps and cropping.

Added a second powerhead tonight, a sicce (500+gph model). Probably gonna swap it out with the rw4 in my IM 10G. I know that I have some dead spots. Have a pretty good diatom bloom and getting some small patches of cyano on a rock or two.

Swapped out the smaller sicce with the rw4. Straight up power move! The rw4 is giving me the sexiest wave action. I still have a dead spot in the middle of the tank and this is because of my rockwork and not because of lack of flow.

Man, advice to any and all, be sure to really think about rock placement when considering a solid tank flow...

Otherwise, I picked up three tiger sand conchs to help with sand turnover. If you haven't seen these, check them out. They are incredibly awesome. Their googly eyes are very cool and then their snuffilufigus snouts are even better.

I will definitely get a pic of these guys at some point, if only for posterity sake.

Also sent back my other non hd prime (started intermittent buzzing) for a hd prime with AI's ridiculous $1 exchange program. I love this company.

• Like 2

I bought a tiger conch that turned out to be a "strawberry" conch and it's soooo lazy. Can you take some pics of your tiger conchs so I know next time what to look for??

Took a couple of quick phone pics. Will try to take some better pics when I get a little more time. One is the conch and the other is Eddie, our new starry blenny.

post-89740-0-43909000-1484783032_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-27080100-1484783044_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just evicted my third and final emerald crab. I haven't seen this one picking at my acro like the others, but there are pieces of various acro missing. I really am hoping it was the emerald crab and not STN. Luckily, I live on a canal in Saint Pete and it's almost like liberating a prisoner. So, essentially I am a hero. I hope they write tomes about me.

Tagging along! Looking good so far!

Just recently caught the bug to start another tank. Been looking at the one you have or the Artisan by CL's.

Thanks! I highly rec this tank. Granted mine didn't have all the Red Sea customary equipment, which honestly I prefer( half the fun is choosing and studying equipment). Let me know when you start a new tank. I need another build to follow! Artisans are insanely nice too btw...

• Like 1

Sorta proud of myself...went to hardware store and got a 18-24" sheet of acrylic and built a ~4"x5"x18" media/Fuge box for the second largest rear chamber of the e260. Only took about an hour to cut, bond, sand edges and install. I have a submersible light coming tomorrow and my hope is to grow chaeto. I'm starting with an LED strip, but if it cannot sustain chaeto, I will try the halogen bulbs. Been reading up on the submersible lights on the forums for the last week and haven't found anything really conclusive. If any one had found positive results, let me know.

I am unable to do the jbj glow or the magnafuge because I cannot get to the back glass to scrape off the film and I'm not draining the tank just to do that.

I do have diatoms on the sand and some cyano on a few rocks and I would love to out compete those with some macros. Fingers crossed. I will certainly post my results of the light, or lights, that I will use. I also must keep in mind that light and flow are not the only things that matter. I'm running gfo and have read that this can affect chaeto growth.

I will pull out the diy fuge box when the light comes and take some pics for anyone interested.

Screenshot of the purchased light

post-89740-0-76186200-1485096868_thumb.png

Large nem (4-5") split last night. Now I have three of equal size. I love nems, but these can't seem to find a comfy space to stay put unless it is right on top of an acro or monti :/

• Like 1

Only took 14 months but my clown finally figured out what a bubble tip was for!!!! Hosting this morning. Yay!

Picked up some macros from a local Reefer doing his trimming. Put it in my 10g nem tank to grow, serve as filter, and feed my fish in this tank.

Got three kinds. Dragons breath, red grape and some other kind too (green with long, thin leaves)

• Like 1

Thought I had the diatoms on sand and small cyano patches kicked, but they are back. I need to pull the media reactor and see how well it is pulling water through. Doesn't seem like it is strong enough...shrug.