Pod Your Reef

Nola & Bosco's Red Sea E260 - New FTS

Nola Bear

Looks like you have a very good reason to upgrade in the future lol!

This is my upgrade, I just moved into this tank two months ago :lol: , but dang it all to heck, I think you are right! :blink:

• Like 2

Picking up a nice piece of pc rainbow tomorrow from a local. Gonna have to put it in an inconspicuous part of tank. Wife is getting mighty suspicious.....

• Like 1

Just explain that one of the corals spontaneously fragged itself and that they can color morph when that happens.

I've got a PC rainbow frag that I got a couple weeks ago but it's not very rainbow right now.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Just explain that one of the corals spontaneously fragged itself and that they can color morph when that happens.

I've got a PC rainbow frag that I got a couple weeks ago but it's not very rainbow right now.

Roger that. Lol. 

Ill be sure to get a pic of this pc rainbow in this guy's tank so that I and anyone else will know what it is supposed to look like for when I poopoo brown it up!

• Like 1

Yeah, me too. I put it in a frag rack off to the side so it could acclimate to my lighting, and I haven't moved it under brighter light yet. So while it's not exactly poop brown, it is just a single reddish brown color. I'm pretty sure it need much more intense light, but I need to make that change slowly.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JCarpenter4 said:

How is your skimmer doing? I have the same skimmer but I gave up on it after never getting rid of the microbubbles... I've been in the mood to give it another shot.

The thing is dialed in and works great. Pulls a super dark skim. The only beef I have is that it sticks up in my tank (center rear chamber of e260) which is something I didn't account for. I've gotten used to it, but when doing the build and planning the tank out, I had hoped that everything would be for the most part concealed inside the rear chamber. I didn't factor in the required water height for the skimmer and then how high I needed to keep the collection cup. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tank is cruising right along. I've been getting some cyano that I'm blowing off and attempting to syphon out, though this is much more difficult on a bigger tank. So I decided to do a slight nod to the tank to add more flow. It is a bit hard to explain, but if you are familiar with the e260 there are two return nozzles in the top rear wall corners, and maybe ~12" directly beneath them there are two closed ports that have something to do with the sump conversion kit available for this tank. Well I popped off the caps on these two lower rear wall ports and bought two mj1200s, two bulkheads, two sets of lock line with diffuser nozzles, and installed last night, and now I have MOAR FLOW. Good news is that one steady patch of cyano was gone today. 

IMG_5978.JPG

Pic from the right side. You can see the standard return nozzle up at the top and the modded locline return below it. Same thing on the left?

• Like 1

You got to love how cleaner shrimp are like the creepy guy at the bar. They just inch clos r and closer until finally their creepy little feelers are reaching out and touching, saying, "Hey, Pisces? Me too...you like it when I touch you like this? What do think about me crawling all over you, maybe chew on you a little bit...? No...oh okay. Never mind, I didn't want to do that either. Yeah, well you can go straight to hell! You'll come back to me. They always come back to me!" :naughtydance:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely having some new tank issues. I'm losing some sps over the last two-three weeks. Started with my Miami orchid colony. I noticed it was losing skin at the base and then it really rtnd and I took it out and fragged it up. Put one frag back in the 70g and put the other frags in the 10g. The frags in the 10g have stabilized. I wish I could say the same for the one I had put back in the 70g--all skin gone in hours. Then my loripes stnd. Then another nice sized frag started up and lost all skin in 24-48 hours, and this morning one of my new favs, a bottlebrush acro, has lost half or it tissue. But this one and the loripes had blotchy tissue loss which I'm confused about. It makes me think of aefw but I cannot see anything under the magnifying glass when I pull out the frag. The only thing is that the loripes and the bottlebrush are both smooth skins, whereas the orchid and the other no-name were not. 

Going to to keep watching. I've started dosing ESv b-ionic last night. And of course one of my digital timers failed, so I have no idea how much calcium was actually dumped into the tank this AM. by the looks of the bottle, not much but definitely more than was planned. Headed to hardware store at some point to get a new timer.

It is no wonder people can only take this hobby for 3-4 years. So much grief....

Damn, adversity hits us all the longer we stay. Keep your head up! Put in a day or two of work on your tank, sounds like the last thing you wanna do but the results of whatever you do will help get ya back on your feet. Good luck!

• Like 1

How's it going now? Even really advanced reefers have trouble transferring to a new tank. I remember when @metrokat moved into her previous tank it was a big challenge and she almost lost some of her prized colonies.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2017 at 10:13 PM, teenyreef said:

How's it going now? Even really advanced reefers have trouble transferring to a new tank. I remember when @metrokat moved into her previous tank it was a big challenge and she almost lost some of her prized colonies.

The second time though, I made sure it went well. 

• Like 2
On 4/4/2017 at 0:11 AM, shift_9k said:

Damn, adversity hits us all the longer we stay. Keep your head up! Put in a day or two of work on your tank, sounds like the last thing you wanna do but the results of whatever you do will help get ya back on your feet. Good luck!

I hear ya buddy. I appreciate the support. I have certainly been hitting the test kits and cross referencing with lfs. Gonna get to the bottom of this!

On 4/10/2017 at 10:13 PM, teenyreef said:

Moving in the right direction, now. My nitrates are through the roof. Been doing WCs every other day and just finished off with a 50% WC yesterday. I have some of the xport no3 and po4 stuff coming in tomorrow which should help get them back in check. Fingers crossed. 

It's hard to watch a mini colony, size of my wife's hand go so quickly but everything else were smaller pieces. 

7 hours ago, metrokat said:

The second time though, I made sure it went well. 

If we could all be as baller as the kat lady!! Lol

• Like 2

Not to sound like a plug, but added xport no3 and po4 yesterday to my media chamber. Fingers crossed I can get these nitrates down. There is no way I can keep up with the water changes  looks like I am losing my mini mini colony of red Dragon which sucks. I can always get another from local reefers but that is not the point. Other corals that had browned out are coloring back up. The high nitrates, I've read will boost the zooanthelae (sp) which will boost growth but also turd up a coral's color. Read a really good article by Randy on r2r about it. 

I also have a particular acan that has come has come and gone over the last year, super finicky, and it looks like three heads dissolved over night. I've never seen this before. Still has a head or two left. Four days ago I had noted how great it was looking like it finally turned a corner. Then I saw a hermit hovering on it, and this morning it looks like death. 

Hanging in there but wtf. 

Once I get things stable, if I am able to, I will take some pics. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say that the tank is stable yet, but I think we are headed in the right direction. 

Some corals are coloring back up. More are showing new growth. 

Need to post update pics soon. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Time to catch up. Had sky high nitrates for 6+ months. Tried xport, tried chaeto reactor, tried nopox (still using), nothing worked except for getting rid of half my fish and reducing the bioload considerably. Once I got my nitrates down to where they needed to be, my sps stopped dying and started coloring and growing:wub:. Then Irma knocked out the power, and I lost 90% of my acros and a few montis.:( Five or six of them I bought in the WWC Ebay auction like two weeks before the storm. :angry: I also lost my kole tang, my foxface, and six-line (which I had for close to 3 years:tears:).

Lost:
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Strawberry Shortcake
PC Rainbow
Myagi Tort
Blue Tenuis
Oregon Tort
Granulosa
Pearlberry
Hawkins
Loripes
Red Dragon
ORA Chips
WWC Lemon Lime
WWC Blue Lagoon
WWC Yeti

WWC Destiny

$500 Efflo
Starburst Monti
Tubbs Stellata Monti

It is what it is, right... Most were just large frag to mini colony size. i lost two-three decent sized colonies. The locals who didn't lose power are really stepping up and helping others rebuild. I am stopping by two friends this week for a frag pack.:grouphug:

Things are dialed back in, the death has stopped, and everything that survived has colored back up. I even bought some fishy replacements, a yellow tang (Mello), a longnose hawk (Ethan), and valentini puffer (Sierra). Sticking to smaller fish, except for Mello. He will be the one resident tang. I learned my tang lesson. 

PC Rainbow 2" disk

Shortcake

Pink Lemonade

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6451.JPG