Cultivated Reef

Nola & Bosco's Red Sea E260 - New FTS

Nola Bear

FTS 1/26/18

FE57A718-BE02-46C2-94C7-89E887C6C5D2.jpeg

FTS 9/30/2017

_MG_3032.jpg
In November 2015, I started a 10G IM Nuvo Fusion for my then 2 yr old daughter Nola :wub: . In July 2016 we had our son, Baby Augie or B.A. (hence the A-Team reference "Bosco"). In keeping fair, I decided that I had to build a tank for him too, right? It only makes sense.

And so, this last November, I got on the used tank hunt. I first stumbled across someone on the local forums who was essentially giving away his IM 30L, which I snatched up, and then I found someone who was selling two used primes for 100/per, and I grabbed those too. And that is when it happened, the guy I bought the lights from had a tank that he was just about to post on CL, a Red Sea Reefer E260.

Now, it was just the tank. It did not have all the accouterment that comes with these tanks. What happened was that the guy had bought the e260, but there was a negligible chip up in the top of the glass, and Red Sea sent him a brand new tank. I did not get the hydras, the skimmer, the pumps, the stand or the baskets, but I did get the tank with the chip for 250, and the guy also threw in an In-Tank Media basket built for a 29 Biocube that fits almost perfectly and a Sicce Xstream E Powerhead. :naughtydance:

To avoid a costly divorce, I sold the IM 30L for 200. :bling:

Built a stand for ~75

Equipment List:
2 Sicce syncra 2.0 Pumps
Aquamaxx WS1 Skimmer
IM Midsize Media Reactor
Tunze 3152 ATO
Finnex HMA-S 200W Heater
Tropic Eden 30+30lbs of Pink Tonga Sand/Mini Reef Flakes

[EDIT: I had the approx prices near each of these items for my own cataloguing, but then I felt a bit douchey, so removed them. No matter how hard you try to do this for less, it is an expensive mofo hobby~]

I also got 50+lbs of live rock with two BTAs and Nuclear green death palys from local reefer who was breaking down his tank.

And so, I got everything built and set up and one of the primes had a nasty loud buzzing sound after being on long enough to warm up and cause the fan to start. Instead of going back to the guy's house who sold me the lights and starting a ruckus, I decided to check out AI online and submitted a request. They called me within an hour and they mailed me a replacement light the next day. I was blown away. It was insane. :bowdown: They only charge you a dollar as long as you send back the defective light and it isn't clearly damaged by the user, such as smashed or dropped in water, which I can tell is not the case since the light worked fine--it was just a nasty buzzing sound like the fan was hitting something. There's probably a dead beetle in there or something. I don't know, I don't care. The only thing is that they sent me a Prime HD to replace the bad prime (not complaining), but the light quality difference between the HD and the other Prime I have is pretty obvious. I'll just stack the SPS under the HD, I had planned to go SPS heavy on that side anyway. Who knows maybe the other light will start to buzz soon and need to be replaced too fingerscrossed

Soooo, I plan to move all my corals into this new tank and will turn my IM 10 into a nem tank with a gold stripe or gold flake maroon. 

Coral List:

RR Wolverine

Ice Fire Echinata

WWC Slimeball Anacrapora

Granulosa

Tricolor Valida

Blue Tip Stag

Blue Tip Tenuis

ORA Lantana

Bloody Mary Monti

PC Rainbow

Purpleberry

Lokani

ORA Red Planet

WWC Blueberry Fields

Purple Tort

Green Stag

Darth Maul Porites

JF Outerspace Psammacora

Green Psammacora

Watermelon Psammacora

JF Sun God Lepto

JF Jackolantern Lepto

WWC Tan Lady Lepto

JF BBC Energizer Cyphastrea

WWC Bizarro Cyphastrea

JF Party Crasher Cyphastrea

JF Rainbow Delight Chalice

Blueberry Acro

Setosa

Firey Digitata
Acroberry
Miami Orchid
Garf Bonsai
Green Hulk
Mint Pavona
Pink Lemonade
Candle Light Concert
Spongedes
Myagi Tort
Rose Millepora
Ant Insignius
Blue Tenuis
ORA Chips Acropora
Christmas Mirabalis
Mystic Sunset Monti

WWC Rainbow Monti

Starburst Monti

X-Factor Monti
Miami Hurricane Chalice
Watermelon Chalice
Duncans
Frogspawn

Gold Galaxea 
Acan
Golden Eye Favia
Rock Flower Anemone
Green Bubble Tip Anemone
Gates of Hell Leptastrea
Ultra Lobo

Symphyllia

I can't wait to get some cool fish for the RSR e 260, I am not set on what yet, but it will be incredible! omgomgomg

Fish list:
Black Ocellaris
Springer Damsel
Starry Blenny

Yellow Tang

Ornate Leopard Wrasse

Sunburst Anthias

• Like 3

The Build: I am happy with the build. It is overbuilt, for sure, but I'm good with that. I still need to touch up a few things...

IMG_5697_zpsqaucwvnq.jpg

IMG_5698_zpsvbhfgqlq.jpg

IMG_5699_zpssc3ecwcj.jpg

IMG_5706_zpss42ipyoo.jpg

IMG_5707_zpsabwfpia3.jpg

IMG_5708_zpsbfapqy93.jpg

IMG_5710_zpsdrc0bgtx.jpg

IMG_5711_zpsmrowu0p2.jpg

Edited by Nola Bear
  • Like 3

The wall that I put the tank on was about 1/2" less width than the tank. My OCD was not having that, so I bumped out the wall with the wood which wraps the side and looks like vertical beams. I wanted to added more wood, but the wife is getting sick of the rustic vibe with all the furniture I've built. :unsure: Oh well. I like my furniture to look beat up so i can't tell when the kids/dogs/vacuum/etc ding it up! :D

IMG_2773_zpspr5h69kk.jpg

IMG_2774_zpsqke8niwf.jpg

IMG_2775_zpstebx2bqm.jpg

[Evidently, my build comes with an advert for Keiser University. Who knew? Somebody pay me...]

IMG_2776_zpsatrocwna.jpg

IMG_2777_zpsh1byjlkc.jpg

IMG_2781_zpsqnm73eby.jpg

IMG_2784_zps34sihtkw.jpg

IMG_2789_zpsi9zphwjn.jpg

IMG_2787_zps48uzajlp.jpg

Nice find! My CL is usually filled with tanks that arent worth a damn with junk from the 90's and they still want $2k for it lol

Thanks! Tampa/St. Pete is a reefer haven. It's really pretty incredible what you can get fairly regularly. There are also those 1990 petland specials too though :lol:

• Like 4

The rock and and water I got from the local reefer was pulled from his tank, put into 20gal brutes, and driven 30 minutes to my house. I then spent the rest of the night gettting the rock and water into the tank solo. I'm not sure what kind of cycle I will have, but I do have diatoms on the sand today.

I want to run a mix of rox and gfo in the reactor, but haven't made an order from BRS yet. Soon... I just need to get the CC bill from this holiday season, suffer that coronary event, and then reform like vultron.

• Like 1

Why can't I get a thermometer that works for a damn!? Bought one and it was ten degrees too low; another one is four degrees to high. Got another one that I don't trust. Oh well I have two thermometers in the tank and the heater also has to have a register for it to kick on, so I will just lower common denominator it.

Good luck with the build! I love my reefer 250, you wont be dissapointed with yours i dont think

Yeah man! Thank you. I'm going to love it. Just got caught up on your thread the other night. I can't believe there aren't more of these on here. The tanks are just incredible~

I love how neat everything is underneath....a place for everything and everything in its place.

Thanks! You got to love some pegboard!

Zoas opened up within an hour, and the acro and pavona seem happy after the first night in the tank. Yay!

• Like 1

heater is never accurate but doesn't need to be as long as they are stable. i had a heater that keeps my tank at 76 even though the indicator says 84. for your peace of mind, you can consider a temperature controller or tank controller like Apex.

• Like 1

heater is never accurate but doesn't need to be as long as they are stable. i had a heater that keeps my tank at 76 even though the indicator says 84. for your peace of mind, you can consider a temperature controller or tank controller like Apex.

I might have to go this route. I've been looking into a few of these on the local clubs. Thanks!

The frags I put in are looking strong, so I plan to move more over tonight and tomorrow. Let's hope for the best!

I will post some pics once all the dust settles and the PE is good~

Other than turbos knocking over a couple corals and mofo emeralds picking at some of my acros, everything seems to be going okay. Emeralds suck, btw! I had bought three and one got evicted last night. Man, when they grab onto rock, they don't let go for nothing!

Pics coming as soon as I can get the energy to pull out camera and deal with photobucket. We just started letting our 5 month old cry out his naps. It is such a miserable experience. I have about 15 minutes of supreme mental fortitude, but after that every screech is like a chisel chipping at the top of my spine.

Never used a proper skimmer in my Fusion, so I'm at a bit of a loss. The thing just fills up with tank water and overflows. I've read that I need to break it in. I guess I'm going to do the vinegar bath (3:1, RODI to Vin)??? Should I wait to break in until I get my fish?? Will it just overflow until I have a bioload??

whats your light schedule like with the primes? what percent do you peak at?

I keep tweaking it, so I don't have a good one yet. I will post what I have. tHe other thing is that one of the primes is the HD adn the other is not, so the both sides of the tank are a bit different since the HD has one or two extra colors.

I have the aquamaxx ws1. That's what I was thinking too. I looked at their website for any troubleshooting and tips and I didn't see much. I broke the thing down to see how I could adjust flow, but couldn't see anything either, which is nuts. Right now, I have it in a 5gal bucket with fresh water and vin running and it's just overflowing like crazy.

there are a couple of ways to adjust your skimmer so it doesn't overflow. what kind of skimmer is it? there should be a valve or gate to control amount of air going into the skimmer

Do you know how long I should run h2o and vinegar?