ATO: Smart ATO Micro

Controller: Apex Jr

Fish

Toby Puffer

Pair of PJ Cardinals

Tail Spot Blenny

Royal Gramma

Born 12/29/16

I have been without a functioning aquarium for a year or two now for various reasons. I finally got a chance to do it again. We are working on buying a house and this tank is meant to hold me over until we move after which I will probably upgrade to one of the larger Red Seas setups. In the meantime I can enjoy having a reef again and maybe grow out some stuff for a future transfer.

Last couple of tanks have been bare bottom. While I like the ease of cleaning, I don't like the look. I am using reef flakes here for a more natural look. I am also using some old reef cleaners dry rock that I have had in a box in the attic for a couple of years. I may end up with a reactor or skimmer or both but I will play it by ear. I'd like to see how far I can go without either one and just keeping up with maintenance. I will be adding a pair of spin streams soon. By design I want slow flow through the AIO and a tsunami of flow in the display.

As far as livestock goes, I don't know yet. I am filling it up and getting the cycle going on Thursday and I want to get a feel of the space once the rocks are arranged before deciding on fish. I would like to have a bit of a mixed reef but I don't plan on playing the acro game.

The stand was re purposed from my old 40b stand. I added a top to it today to accommodate the increased width of the lagoon and I have some wood work to do to the inside to manage wires. I am also painting the top black.

Glad to see you back in the game.

Thanks. I'm excited. I tried hard to not have a reef for a long time but nothing else interests me and you have to have a hobby.

I love that stand! Looks great :)

Thanks! It was my first woodworking endeavor about 4 years ago. I was completely paranoid about the weight of a 40b so it is very overbuilt. I think it can support the weight of a full sized truck. There is so much wood on the inside that it barely fits a 20h for a sump.

The door pulls are little angelfish.

You haven't been gone that long have ya? I know I recollect your username. And love the stand! Nice job on the lights too!!! I have a quad myself over my 40g tank.

I love the stand!! Great work.

You haven't been gone that long have ya? I know I recollect your username. And love the stand! Nice job on the lights too!!! I have a quad myself over my 40g tank.

Thank you ladies. I haven't been gone, just tankless. It has been over a year and a half since I had pumps running.

Just doesn't seem that long. Just so fun to keep going, rebuild, rescape, re-invent the wheel. Now if someone could make one of those freshwater planted waterfalls in salt water tank that would be cool.

And it's full. The cycle is underway though I don't think it will take long. I picked up a couple of cured live pieces of Fiji rock from the LFS to help seed and dosed some MB7 today. Tonight I brought the ammonia level up to 2pp/liter or whatever the measurement is. The rocks are not arranged. Just threw them in there for the time being.

http://31159852693_3b8468d8b5_z.jpgUntitled by Eisernes Kruez, on Flickr

Also still need to hang the light. I have the bracket mounted on the wall. Just waiting for Lawn to send me the locking piece that goes on the wire.

Dropping it off tomorrow via priority mail!

http://31112190663_346fce5438_z.jpgUntitled by Eisernes Kruez, on Flickr

Tank: IM Fusion 25 Lagoon

Lighting: Nanobox Wide Quad

Return Pump: Tunze 1073.008

Flow: Tunze 6055; Tunze 6040

ATO: Smart ATO Micro

Controller: Apex Jr, VDM, PM1

I have been without a functioning aquarium for a year or two now for various reasons. I finally got a chance to do it again. We are working on buying a house and this tank is meant to hold me over until we move after which I will probably upgrade to one of the larger Red Seas setups. In the meantime I can enjoy having a reef again and maybe grow out some stuff for a future transfer.

Last couple of tanks have been bare bottom. While I like the ease of cleaning, I don't like the look. I am using reef flakes here for a more natural look. I am also using some old reef cleaners dry rock that I have had in a box in the attic for a couple of years. I may end up with a reactor or skimmer or both but I will play it by ear. I'd like to see how far I can go without either one and just keeping up with maintenance. I will be adding a pair of spin streams soon. By design I want slow flow through the AIO and a tsunami of flow in the display.

As far as livestock goes, I don't know yet. I am filling it up and getting the cycle going on Thursday and I want to get a feel of the space once the rocks are arranged before deciding on fish. I would like to have a bit of a mixed reef but I don't plan on playing the acro game.

The stand was re purposed from my old 40b stand. I added a top to it today to accommodate the increased width of the lagoon and I have some wood work to do to the inside to manage wires. I am also painting the top black.

Looks awesome :happydance: following

You are off to a Great start sir, Nice Job!! Great looking stand and nice equipment choices...

I would strongly recommend you to Go with a battery backup. It's a tough lesson to learn the hard way, which I most recently have. I immediately ordered one and it will be here early next week. It's a painful / guilty feeling when you start to see losses that you could have prevented... Just my 2 cents. Shane

I got the Nanobox hung today.

[/url]Untitled by Eisernes Kruez, on Flickr">http://31941455301_c43679ae65_z.jpgUntitled by Eisernes Kruez, on Flickr

It is a little tricky to get it leveled out and straight. It's a pre production model and only has one hanging wire. It will look pretty slick once I get it adjusted.

Water is a little bit cloudy. I think it might be a small bacterial bloom. The cycle is going well. It is processing about 1mg/L per day of ammonia so far.

Added my first fish. Received them today from Divers Den. I was a little worried about the freezing temps outside but the bags arrived almost as warm as my tank water. Fantastic job Live Aquaria!

I got a trio of Pajama Cardinals from them. I wanted fish that were not necessarily active but were visible and I wanted a small school so they fit the bill. They are still settling in but so far one stays in a cave, one stays in the corner, and one moves between them. I think they are pretty cool under represented fish in home aquariums.

http://31771877170_1981c37650_z.jpgUntitled by Eisernes Kruez, on Flickr

I plan on adding a TSB because I have always wanted one and beyond that I would like to add a couple more small fish that don't get a lot of play. Maybe a chalk bass or tobacco bass, or springari dottyback. Possibly another more common one as well like a green band goby or clown goby. I want to get all of my fish added before I start collecting coral. Need to get a little maturity in the tank and establish the full bioload.

On another note, I found out today that I have entirely too much flow. With both powerheads on that trio was getting whipped around the tank out of control. I turned off the 6055 and while they are still moved by the flow, they can control themselves. I may sell it and get another 6040. Its flow is about the same volume but it is wide compared to the jet stream put out by the 6055. An MP10 might be a good option as well.

I lost one of my PJ's. By lost I do not mean that it died, it just disappeared overnight. I have a DIY top but currently it is made up of bird netting until I can get something better. There are some larger holes but if it jumped it would have been a heck of a feat. My cleanup crew right now is just two small scarlet hermits. If it died in the night could the two of them have finished it off by morning? I shined a light in the back chambers and did not see it there either. At this point I have to assume it is dead. The other two seem fine although they have not eaten yet. I have tried Formula I and II flakes and Hikari pellets so far. Fish store isn't open again until Thursday so I will just have to keep trying with what I have. I might go to the grocery store tomorrow and get a raw shrimp to grind up and see if they go for it.

I also want to comment on the IM ghost skimmer. I read a lot of bad things about it but I think it deserves better. I have only had mine for three days now but the microbubbles are almost completely gone. I don't even notice the few remaining. It isn't quiet but it also isn't loud. It seemed loud when I first turned it on but that was comparing it to complete silence from the rest of the set up. I have it dialed in for a nice dry skim and even with my tiny bioload it is producing some nasty brown goo.

The PJ's finally ate. I was getting worried. Went to the LFS and bought a pack of frozen that had 4 different foods in it. I mixed a little of each and they went for it.

Also bought a little Toby Puffer. It came right up to the glass in the display tank and followed me around so I decided it had to come home with me. He settled right in. Loves playing in the powerhead stream and he followed the flipper around as I cleaned the glass today. Runs for the hills any time I try to get a picture though so don't have one of those yet.

Archived