Cultivated Reef

Fabulous Bones: A Study in Symbiosis with a Reefer 350

el fabuloso

Little update: I missed the call from the shipping company for drop off yesterday so the sump will be arriving tomorrow between 1:00 - 5:00pm EST. 

Pictures will be incoming shortly. Is there any interests in manifold build pictures or not so much? I didnt think there was much so I excluded them but if I was wrong let me know. 

• Like 1

So the fun finally begins - Here is the finalized parts list based off of what has been working with me and my objective for the manifold. Forgive the images as they were taken with my iPhone since my Arca Swiss bracket comes in TODAY <_<. In time I will be retaking all of these images with my real camera because it just irks me. I will be putting the piece name along with my image of said piece to make it as easy as possible. I will be going in order from the Vectcra outlet. All parts I use are the brand Spears as I like the quality and consistency of them (my OCD ticks are insane). I am in NO WAY a plumber and this is just after months of trial and error as well as research and development for this project. A few things before we really get into the thick of it: 

• sch40 is white and has thinner walls.
  • sch80 is gray and has a thicker walls.
  • The main section of the manifold is 3/4" diameter.
  • The reactor section of the manifold is 1/2" diameter.
  • BSP - British Standard Pipe - Red Seas seems to use BSP on their fittings since they are from the UK. Also EVERYWHERE uses that just not the US. Figures.
  • Pipe - All pipe/fittings for this project are sch80. It provides me with no benefit other than I just like it.
  • Slip Fitting - Exactly what it sounds like - When you can just "Slip" the pipe into the fitting.
  • Union - Fitting that allows you a "Quick Disconnect"
  • Gate Valve - Think your hose faucet - This valve is much more accurate at giving flow rates than a ball valve.
  • In order to successfully connect the manifold to the BSP Red Sea sells a fitting that "Allows" you to do this. Do not get it. It is not the correct fitting and I have included the correct one as well as a walk around for how to connect it with no leak issues.

Manifold Part List

Spears - 1 1/4" - 3/4" sch40 - Adapter - BSP x Slip

IMG_0761.thumb.jpg.9f5e8b0ba59f8349d26cfe52aaabf264.jpg

Spears - 1 1/4" - 3/4" sch80 - Reducer - Slip

IMG_0827.thumb.jpg.5e9639d3a334aa54773f3209d2eee8de.jpg

Spears - 3/4" sch80 - Union Fitting - Slip

IMG_0764.thumb.jpg.f882be2c7726c7160d440d40a6635a93.jpgIMG_0763.thumb.jpg.c6c5f4566a2ce3ef469c22a4d4f7a514.jpg

Spears - 3/4" sch80 - 90° Elbow - Slip

IMG_0779.thumb.jpg.e33d305cec29e907f80d1b7a09148250.jpg

Spears - 3/4" sch80 - T Fitting - Slip

IMG_0767.thumb.jpg.9c695857645f2f8f1e39dd79fe37527f.jpg

Spears - 3/4" sch80 - 1/2" Reducer - Slip

IMG_0769.thumb.jpg.7a15b64f919d158d49e9a4dd62304e65.jpg

Spears - 3/4" sch80 - Adapter - Slip X MPT

IMG_0773.thumb.jpg.05358ed3c878be994a81ffc55071b4c6.jpg

Reactor Section

In this section I will be walking you through how to build the reactor section into the actual manifold itself. All of these pieces are 1/2" because of the Aquamaxx Reactors I chose run an inlet/outlet of 1/2". This is the most important part as this is how regulation of flow occurs.

Spears - 1/2" sch80 - Gate Valve

IMG_0784.thumb.jpg.5a0c2f7d5f7e7a3b3a7f94f6fa7119c7.jpg

Spears - 1/2" sch80 - 90° Elbow - Slip

IMG_0774.thumb.jpg.c7e90b313802d6a53d25b41b2a9da3b5.jpg

Spears - 1/2" sch80 - Adapter - Slip X MPT

IMG_0772.thumb.jpg.6745cf26f020de78a51d4c2d93ebba13.jpg

Here are side by sides I took to show the size difference between the two pieces that are the same fitting just different diameters.

The 90° Elbows

IMG_0782.thumb.jpg.68d20dcdd23a90a4422b8457680b03be.jpg

The Slip X MPT Adapters

IMG_0788.thumb.jpg.7313ee3a9c08da86bed373e15178d2db.jpgIMG_0802.thumb.jpg.c0f567316f53f09af23ed6c48e7dfecd.jpg

All in all that is the required parts to complete my manifold design. I will be adding and tweaking with this as time goes on but I am happy for the time being with just getting the images taken and put up with a walkthrough to follow as I build. If anyone needs any help or suggestions on where to find any piece don't be afraid to ask. I have found all of these pieces and kept the consistent brand which is ridiculous but now know sources I like to use. I look forward to building together!

• Like 6
RayWhisperer

Well, thanks for walking me down the plumbing aisle of the local Ace Hardware, Boner. Are you and Flab ever gonna get this thing up? I have needs that aren't being met. Namely, I have a scape to judge, and need to live vicariously through others.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Well, thanks for walking me down the plumbing aisle of the local Ace Hardware, Boner. Are you and Flab ever gonna get this thing up? I have needs that aren't being met. Namely, I have a scape to judge, and need to live vicariously through others.

No worries man. Im really happy you came for the stroll! I also needed an excuse to bring the lightbox out from the depths.

We are indeed master Ray. I'm sorry it's taking much longer than I anticipated. Personal life went haywire but the dust is settling finally.

As for scape, you'll have to take that up and consult with or resident designer Fab. He is the man to judge. I know I already would get shitted on by you on the scape competition. Ask him about the golden triangle ratio or whatever it is. I heard he's going to make a transparent one and stick it on the tank. Take the easy, lazy way out.

?  

• Like 2
el fabuloso

It's taking things a little longer and I'm not sorry at all. If there's one thing I've learned over the years in this hobby is that things can go bad when you move too fast so it's best to take things slow. Slow and steady. Enjoy the journey.

Don't worry, Ray. We'll make sure to have the scape together for you to judge before those cataracts set in.

:P

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
RayWhisperer

The Ace hardware by me is loaded to the hilt with Spears fittings.  Then again, it's an unusually large Ace hardware, so that may not be the norm.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the delay - Life went completely off the rails.

I have the manifold completed and will be getting the pictures up and running shortly/soon. I decided to make a slight deviation from my initial plan on the manifold and take the 45 out and just run a straight 90 at the top. I understand that makes no sense but hopefully the pictures will make it easier. The build took me months of planning and trial and error as well as adjustments and redesigns. I am very happy it is completely over with. If you don't believe me just ask fab.

I also had a few concerns regarding GPH and my overall flow since I am going to be running the 3 reactors. Each reactor requires 200-300 GPH, the tank itself is rated to be 790 GPH so for arguments sake thats 800. What I'm running at right now it is 1,700 GPH - The Vortech M1 is rated for 2000 GPH on full throttle. I also have taken into account that all reactors may not be online at the same time. I do hope I will not need all three online all the time but only time will tell on that.

I also am receiving a 36" Giesemann Spectra that was custom built for this tank. It will have two 250/400W SE MH and 4 39W T5 Giesemann Actinic bulbs. The ballast will be the Luxcore 250-400W Selectable Ballast. I am super excited about this since I really was annoying when deciding on the light. Let me know how you guys feel and hopefully well get some good ideas flowing!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys.

Life has been extremely busy and overwhelming to the fact that I have even forgot about this thread and everything along with it. 

I have the manifold complete and am just tweaking it to make it PERFECTLY straight while holding the reactors even though the reactors will not be online until needed/necessary. It has proven to be a bit more time consuming and harder than I originally anticipated which led me to just get broken down over it and unable to move forward. Any advice on how to get them to hang level would be GREATLY appreciated as this seems to be my major hangup.

In other news - 

I am thinking of upgrading to the new Red Sea ReefLED 90s that were recently released.

Anyone have any feedback on the output/graphs? I am not the best when it comes to this sort of thing and the entire LED market moved on way past to what I was able to research. 

In the past I felt that the T5/LED hybrids were where I wanted to go but at this point I hope the technology has caught up for just straight LEDs. I had an LED fixture over my tank 5-7 years ago and was just left wanting more and felt that the build quality left something to be desired.

Me and Fab have been in chats regarding this and he seems to be fully onboard the LED train so i really am the sticking point for this entire project. I think I need to lighten up on getting it PERFECT and just get it going and tweak as I go but that is easier said than done for me.