Top Shelf Aquatics

Fabulous Bones: A Study in Symbiosis with a Reefer 350

el fabuloso

RayWhisperer

I just think it's too much all the way around. Too much filter, too much fiddling. If you feel you are up to it, go ahead.

A little bit of nitrates is good. A wee bit of phosphates is good too. GFO works just like carbon, only not as effective on many organics and elements. It's far better at removing phosphates. It's almost as effective at removing calcium from the water, too. With carbon, it removes everything. Just not as effectively.

Honestly, there are a thousand ways to run a reef. You could probably get by with dosing and changing carbon 2x a week. You'd get close to the same benefit of all those reactors, and leave just enough nutrients in the system so nothing bleaches.

As for the hair... I'm no fashion guru, I'm a hillbilly. Is bald in fashion yet, Fab?

• Like 3

Bald never leaves. I'm going to stay with our three reactor plan as I feel confident about it. I'm totally going to be on the look out for ALL of the issues you have provided and if/when they arise I will switch gears into the two. I really appreciate the insight!

Going for a leak test hopefully tonight. Shutting reactor valves to see where my water line is to adjust for the reactor returns that have to to be plumbed. After the test I'll be building the reactor return lines - Hopefully they all go to where I want them to but it's getting tight under here. That SHOULD be everything on the sump side until I either need the two reactor manifold or I put in place the perfectly straight three chamber.

Once that is complete I'll be moving onto tackling my next project for this.

• Like 1

Any suggestions for light? We've been throwing ideas around and have been trying to find the perfect fixture. Currently in the mix: Giessman Aurora T5 Hybrid, ATI Powermodule 2x75W LED and 8x54W T5, Nanobox something, Ecotech Radions, Some other stuff.

We don't want to hang the fixture so mounting is an issue and we don't want a disco ball from LED. Also ease of controlling and set up is factored. Stability as well. With all of that being said...

The ATI hybrid and Giessman Aurora both have to be hung however the Aurora does have mounting legs for the tank.

The Ecotech Radions provide the proper mounting but also bring along a disco ball from reviews I have read.

We also believe 36" may be fine for us as opposed to the full tank length of 48". Thoughts on the spread as well?

RayWhisperer

I'd say get the nanobox. Since you've got a mod involved in this build, he'll prolly just give you a light. It's the way sponsors gain favor on these boards. Everybody knows stevieT gave me free filter floss in exchange for free reign while I was a mod.

• Like 3

Haha. Fabs still a mod?! You were a mod?!

I've strongly considered them for months. I just wish they had something other a gooseneck. Also hesitant in the bluefish controller. The lights themselves are TOP NOTCH.

That's ultra nice of Stevie. I'm sure he made sure your water was wet and his shipping boy got it out to you.

• Like 1

I've been looking at the Nano Box and really digging all the options. But also not sure what the best option would be for what we're trying to do.

So with that…

Great to see you back in action!

First off, thank you! It feels good to be back. I guess I've been away long enough that the technology in this hobby has really taken off and it's a bit overwhelming as far as trying to catch up. I really like what you're doing with Nano Box and all the customizations you are providing while keeping it all streamlined. I've always had a soft spot for simplicity and details.

So what's the most common lighting configuration that people use with a Reefer 350 and what would you personally recommend as far as what we're trying to accomplish? We're planning for this to be a mixed reef (mostly SPS and LPS). I realize I could probably research this stuff myself but I'm curious to get some input straight from the source since you were kind enough to drop by. ;)

• Like 1

Honestly for this size tank the Hybrid will be the best option. The issue being mounting. Can you make an light arm with conduit?

I've been looking at the Nano Box and really digging all the options. But also not sure what the best option would be for what we're trying to do.

So with that…

First off, thank you! It feels good to be back. I guess I've been away long enough that the technology in this hobby has really taken off and it's a bit overwhelming as far as trying to catch up. I really like what you're doing with Nano Box and all the customizations you are providing while keeping it all streamlined. I've always had a soft spot for simplicity and details.

So what's the most common lighting configuration that people use with a Reefer 350 and what would you personally recommend as far as what we're trying to accomplish? We're planning for this to be a mixed reef (mostly SPS and LPS). I realize I could probably research this stuff myself but I'm curious to get some input straight from the source since you were kind enough to drop by. ;)

• Like 1

I was thinking that. I'm a fan of the T5/LED hybrid. But yeah mounting it would be an issue and we'll have to see if we're up to the challenge.

I was thinking that. I'm a fan of the T5/LED hybrid. But yeah mounting it would be an issue and we'll have to see if we're up to the challenge.

I was hesitant to get a light without a tank mount, but now that I have a suspended light, I wouldn't do it any other way. I prefer the looks of the suspended light and it's nice not having the weight of the fixture on the tank glass.

• Like 1

I think we will be able to get away with hanging it. If push comes to shove. Otherwise I'll be trying to figure out an alternative means.

Dave could you inform us on the maximum number of everything? I really like the retro hybrid you have on the site with 4 bulbs and 8 LED and am looking for something along those lines. Could you inform us about this light? Wattage? Dimensions? As always thanks for your input. It's nice to talk to the creator himself.

• Like 1

I was hesitant to get a light without a tank mount, but now that I have a suspended light, I wouldn't do it any other way. I prefer the looks of the suspended light and it's nice not having the weight of the fixture on the tank glass.

I've never done it before so that's why I'm a little hesitant myself but I do like the way it looks.

I love Red Sea systems. We just got another 130D for the wife, she likes her little tanks.

I'm a fan of Red Sea systems too and they've truly raised the bar with this setup. The clean lines, the details, it's just an awesome system and so far ahead of my 130D. I'm really impressed with what they've done with it.

• Like 1

I've never done it before so that's why I'm a little hesitant myself but I do like the way it looks.

I'm a fan of Red Sea systems too and they've truly raised the bar with this setup. The clean lines, the details, it's just an awesome system and so far ahead of my 130D. I'm really impressed with what they've done with it.

Reefer 250 with a Nanobox hybrid.

20161128_085119_zps3y1x0l0u.jpg

• Like 2

I guess it's time for an update. So we have water!

787d2acc-7bff-4c78-ba80-28f2991be052_zps

Ok so it's only freshwater but we figure that doing a wet test wasn't a bad idea especially with all the plumbing we've been doing and so far, so good.

26574d84-e8c9-4683-b7dd-b02e25b1da04_zps

15f53fa1-e2d6-42f0-bd44-d7dcbcba21b4_zps

NO LEAKS!

a6f1bed5-3352-41c9-a18b-a112e7ce2d18_zps

Leak free and insanely quiet. Nothing but a hum. Wet test is officially a success which moves us closer to the fun stuff. :happy:

• Like 3

Very cool! What are you plans for that tank?

Probably mainly SPS, but it's just a pair of gobies and a pair of clowns for now.

Good choice on the Vectra, I have a M1 and am very pleased with it.

• Like 2

I'm really happy the leak test went perfect as I put on a few modifications to the original tank/sump/stand. It's been running with no leaks for 48 hours which is nice peace of mind.

I'm going to be plumbing the reactor returns tomorrow morning. First I have to decide the length of the pipe. I'm most likely just going to keep everything even and mimick the drain lines. After that I'll turn on and adjust the gate valves and check for leaks on this.

I also got in our substrate which is Tropic Eden Reef Flakes. Have to give them a good rinse but that's still some time away. Also had to add a bag of life to seed and start just safety.

The light order has been placed. I'm just awaiting the package.

Overall I'm really happy as well as super impressed with the noise level on everything. I'm also happy we have no leaks and it's looking to be moving forward in a positive direction.

• Like 1

Tank and sump is drained. Tweaking the manifold design a little bit and also am starting on the power station. I do really like the ease of taking this design out for maintenance and modifications.

I believe we have a date set for the start of the cycle regardless if the "finished" power station is in place. I have a pretty clever design in place which will help aid in the ease of adding it in at a later date.

• Like 2

I used the same sand. Just make sure to strain big time!

Looking forward to seeing your creation.

-Dave

Thanks for the tip! I told myself that if I had to reef again I would do it without sand. But something about a bare bottom tank that just looks incomplete. Hopefully I won't regret changing my mind on that. :unsure: