inTank Media Baskets

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

4 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Thanks Kimber. What do you think of the photoshopped images?

I'm not sure what the photoshopped images were trying to accomplish? Looked to me like mock-ups of what it might look like with more coral growth. If so, I think they look good just a little more filled in. If not, maybe I need to get my eyes checked... ?

18 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'm not sure what the photoshopped images were trying to accomplish? Looked to me like mock-ups of what it might look like with more coral growth. If so, I think they look good just a little more filled in. If not, maybe I need to get my eyes checked... ?

Well. Alright so let me explain what I've been thinking.

I decided on a laurel-wreath look for my tank - thanks to the sketch that NolaBear did for me, and also Xioali. So as I'm working on the scape, my viewers are giving me feedback. And pretty much most of it has been that the center straight line which defines the top shelf is jarring to the eye (and I agree).

What I've been trying to do is to black-out that line with a black piece of acrylic and I might (might) take off that top lip that is holding the sand altogether so there won't be a straight white sand line. 

Granted that my vision is in my head - making it a reality is taking some time. I was trying to show what a rock wall looks like (thanks to Maria for putting that image together). And now the photoshopped images are showing a crawling coral scape that covers the center line. - This was the other feedback - huge black hole int he middle - whaaaaat - kill it, etc.

• Like 1

I like the crawling coral scape in the middle, but only if it's actually crawling. If it were higher than the sides of the top shelf, it'd look too boulder-like. Because it looks lower, it actually looks like a reef shelf with two trailing sides, and plenty of negative space underneath before hitting the sandbed :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

32125871103_950fb0fa05_b.jpg

I get it now. I like this one better. The top looks less crowded, more room for open swimming fish. The other one, looks more like a coral wall. I just don't prefer the look, though it gets your goal taken care of.

What is the anglef of view from the average person standing at the tank? If you remove the lip keeping sand on the top shelf, you will then have the top as a bare bottom. What color would it be? Would it be noticeably black/white/whatever color it is until it's covered by coraline? I assume this example is taken head on, but it is taken from eye level? Does that make sense? 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I get it now. I like this one better. The top looks less crowded, more room for open swimming fish. The other one, looks more like a coral wall. I just don't prefer the look, though it gets your goal taken care of.

What is the anglef of view from the average person standing at the tank? If you remove the lip keeping sand on the top shelf, you will then have the top as a bare bottom. What color would it be? Would it be noticeably black/white/whatever color it is until it's covered by coraline? I assume this example is taken head on, but it is taken from eye level? Does that make sense? 

Good Q. It's black glass so prone to getting coraline like the back and the drop off cliff. I might have a picture of what it looked like before i added the sand somewhere.

18 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I like the crawling coral scape in the middle, but only if it's actually crawling. If it were higher than the sides of the top shelf, it'd look too boulder-like. Because it looks lower, it actually looks like a reef shelf with two trailing sides, and plenty of negative space underneath before hitting the sandbed :)

Yeah, the wispy branching coral look would be nice. Will take time but eventually it might start to look like an underwater grotto. 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

So there's a ledge in the tank that keeps the upper sand in place? I wonder if you can submerge one of those magnetic mount rock sculptures meant to go on the side of a tank? If the magnet side can be submerged too, you could bury it in the sand.

• Like 2

So, back to the Xenia. Right after GW1, I was in a certain country (dunno if the statute of limitations has run out yet) and I watched a pair of Emporer angels and Sunshine Dottybacks for the better part of a week and there was Xenia for miles, I mean literally miles. So I'm getting ready to ship back home when I get a brainstorm, y'all can tip me a few rocks of Xenia, 3 dottybacks and that pair of Emporers for damn near getting my ass shot off. I knew I had to be quick so I buy 2 coolers and snagged a few garbage bags. I caught the Emporers, 4 Sunshines and 8 rocks of Xenia, off to base I went, loaded my ass on the plane and home I went, Xenia rocks, Sunshines and Emporers in tow. Pro tip, Sunshine dottybacks are the most evil bastards on the planet, I had to tear apart 1/2 of an 8' 240 to get the bastards back out. I often wonder how much of the Xenia out there today is from those rocks.

• Like 4
On 2/17/2017 at 2:50 PM, Christopher Marks said:

So there's a ledge in the tank that keeps the upper sand in place? I wonder if you can submerge one of those magnetic mount rock sculptures meant to go on the side of a tank? If the magnet side can be submerged too, you could bury it in the sand.

I made my own magnetic dong, I can make more. :)

• Like 2
16 hours ago, metrokat said:

Needs a species only tank and live prey.

I know. You have plenty of live prey in there. Just sayin' ;)

And then it would quickly become a species-only tank...

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

How many fish are in this tank Kat? What happened to the small school of cardinals? 

Those little cardinals don't live very long, the most I've gotten out of them is about 2 years.

• Like 1