Pod Your Reef

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

Ahhhh, the smell of a freshly torn down tank......... I can almost smell it through the computer screen....... 😂

Congrats on all of your awesome happenings !

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw it empty! 😵

The RedSea Reefer 350 will make for a beautiful system. Are you planning to introduce any of your old livestock to the new tank, or is the plan to start totally fresh? How exciting!

I'm moving all livestock over. Right now I have a temporary 40B setup. Will be a while before I can transfer to the new tank.

56 minutes ago, DAP said:

Ahhhh, the smell of a freshly torn down tank......... I can almost smell it through the computer screen....... 😂

Congrats on all of your awesome happenings !

:D 

Thanks

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Boggers said:

The move was not as troublesome this time around I hope?

My 60G has gotten a bit of a FL biotope theme going. I just need more corals to fill it up.

There was a lot of stupidity with this move. I'm not ready to talk about it just yet but I will 'fess up. 

2 hours ago, got2envy said:

Wat! No tank :(

Hope the move goes well!

So the Han Solo movie is coming....

YES! NO SPOILERS !!!!!

Christopher Marks
47 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I'm moving all livestock over. Right now I have a temporary 40B setup. Will be a while before I can transfer to the new tank.

Phwew! So that's where the canister filter went! That really is a good method for tank moves. 👍

45 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I'm not ready to talk about it just yet but I will 'fess up. 

:grouphug:

12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Phwew! So that's where the canister filter went! That really is a good method for tank moves. 👍

:grouphug:

Yup yup. Between the canister and the BIO plate from Brightwell, I moved my biological filtration over. Never a spike in ammonia detected even when there was a reason for ammonia to be present. 

• Like 5
On 5/25/2018 at 10:27 AM, metrokat said:

I need a snazzy new thread title.

“Nurses at the old folks home let me set up an aquarium”? Maybe?

1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Cool beans on the new tank. Bad news is Indo and Fiji are shut down, even maricultured stuff which is what I buy most. 😞

Yes, sad news for sure.

Walt Smith said they had corrected the Fiji situation. Guess not.

Christopher Marks

I was wondering what the latest was on that situation, that's really too bad 😕. Walt Smith seemed to have a really great operation, hopefully it's not the end of an era.

StinkyBunny
10 hours ago, metrokat said:

Yes, sad news for sure.

Walt Smith said they had corrected the Fiji situation. Guess not.

It's not the end of it. WAY to many people rely on the coral trade for their livelihood. They're now working on getting everything set back up with USF&W and their natural resources department. In Fiji it's about 2000, in Indonesia it's close to 20,000 people. There's a hell of a lot at stake here. Mariculture is gaining traction everywhere which I really like. Australia should be shipping maricultured stock in the next year or 2 hopefully. I still don't understand them not shipping out maricultured stock, not even a little bit. I'd rather get 100 small maricultured colonies than 20 or so large wild colonies, I've gotten as few as 5 in a box which is REALLY expensive when you're talking the amount of money they get for their stock.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I was wondering what the latest was on that situation, that's really too bad 😕. Walt Smith seemed to have a really great operation, hopefully it's not the end of an era.

There was some politics and such involved. They had resolved it but it looks like it will take some more time.

• Like 2