ReefCleaners.org

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

You guys! So many text messages! :wub:

When I saw the pallet that the trucker unloaded curbside, I was like HOLY BATMAN how am I going to get it to my apartment. Unboxing did not happen because I was doing everything I could short of stripping naked to get the trucker to help me load it into the luggage cart. Well, the cart was too small. :wacko: So I got a guy from maintenance to help me with the trucker to take the cabinet off the pallet. The tank was under it. They put the cabinet on the pavement and loaded the tank on the cart, which did not fit either so they put it sideways. Now the entrance to the building has double doors so that was fine but I did not know if it would get through the elevator since it was sideways on the cart like that. Anyway, left that cart with the concierge and I went back with another cart. The trucker had left, the maintenance guy had left so I'm just standing there. I started unboxing the cabinet. And by the time I was done I heard voices so I found TWO maintenance guys and one spoke great english so OMG! They helped me load the cabinet on the cart. I took the guys # and they said they would help me with the tank after their shift.

I wheeled the cabinet to the apartment and the lady that lives opposite me tried to help me get it off the cart and through the door but it was too wide for the door. So then I got those slider thingees and some blue painters tape. Taped the doors shut and prayed a lot while I moved the cabinet off the luggage cart and on to those thingees and slid the cabinet into my apartment right where it needed to go. My cat was looking at me like is that my new home?

So I was just looking at it and there was a knock at the door. Those guys brought up my tank! :wub:

They unboxed it and put it on the stand. I had NO EFFIN IDEA it was this enormous. Okay I KNEW the dimensions but OMFG seeing it in person was something else. It's taller, deeper, wider. It break all my rule. But gosh darn is it beautiful!!!

31752239350_a484a9c6d0_h.jpg

31291109284_95cf241a15_h.jpg

32093543156_e18a55b7d0_h.jpg

• Like 24

BRB, going shopping at the Kathouse Coral Emporium. I ordered some wild shit out of Fiji, hope all the LPS I ordered come in.

Curious. How does one order wild shit out of Fiji?

Theres no water in it yet? wat the heck man get moving. :rolleyes:

So demanding!

Pretty Pretty. Now get it filled up. What are you doing? Sitting there knitting? ;)

:lol:

You ask your LFS to order for you. They have maricultured in Fiji, not wild.

i dig it.... I don't know about more than my reefer tree fiddy though ;)

I like your reefer tree fiddy

• Like 1

You have to go through a broker if you're a store. I don't know if he'd sell direct, it's $40,000+/ shipment paid in advance. You can get some wild stuff out of Fiji, but the majority, about 90%, of the SPS is maricultured.

• Like 2

It looks beautiful! Your story about what you went through to get it into the apartment cracked me up, too.

So put your clothes back on now, and start scaping :lol:

• Like 3

I want to see some crazy drawing on how you plan to scape this thing. I know you had to have started with some scribbles.

31292751094_b2b8368460_h.jpg

:lol:

It looks beautiful! Your story about what you went through to get it into the apartment cracked me up, too.

So put your clothes back on now, and start scaping :lol:

NEVAH! Nekkids FTW!

Glad you got the help you needed to bring the tank up.

Me too, I was just not anticipating this tank. I'm a nano girl, I really am.

• Like 5

The party tank is all empty today. Bitter sweet moment. I've loved that tank, poured my heart and soul into it, and it has given me back joy 10 fold. Sad to see it empty and thankful for the chance to have had it.

Cleaned out the canister filter a little bit today. This was on the tank for 6 weeks before it was on the holding tank for 3 additional weeks so it was FILTHY! Wow was it filthy. The flow was down to a trickle and I needed to get in there to take out some old sponge and floss for the temporary 10G tank for the fish. Rinsed a lot of the crud out and put it back on the tank, the filtration was full speed after that so good.

I went over with the intention of setting up the 10G and moving the fish over. Recruited mum to start draining the water into the brute after I filled up the 10G. While she was doing that I set up the filter on the 10G, heater, net. Then when the water level was down to about 6 inches it he tank I began trying to scoop up the fish. In retrospect the scene with me doing fishy stuff is hilarious but at the time all I can do is screech and curse and jump as the fish did their best to avoid me. I got about 4 fish in before I had to call it quits as I had a conference call. I was preparing to leave but the call was postponed so I went back to trying to catch the fish. Mum was fascinated by the process and was sticking by my side the whole time and even tried to get in there with a net of her own. :lol:

Managed to get all the fish in and covered with a net, mum came up with a creative way of holding up the net so it didn't sag and also fastening it to the tank. Lol, I'll get a picture tomorrow. Threw in some pvc and rocks to help them find hiding spots.

Then I got the call that the tank was about 30 minutes from delivery so I rushed to my apartment. After that I went back and began a 4 hour long process to empty out the tank, scrape it clean. First I gravel vac'd the sand and let it pour into filter socks. Went through 3 of them. Soak the equipment in vinegar. So much to do. My hands are all cut and sore and bruised. But there is more work to be done. The bulkheads had been siliconed in so I was trying to get them undone - they are rotating but not unscrewing. I'll go back to try it again tomorrow when I have more energy. I was able to get 15G of water into jugs. Mixing a brute drums worth here in the apartment now.

I have another brute full of dirty water - mum said let the dirt settle overnight and maybe you can siphon the clean water off tomorrow. Thoughts?

I also scooped out a good amount of my old sand after I had gravel vac'd it. Of course it is still dirty and I left it sitting in a tub with some water. Thoughts on rinsing it more or using as it?

Also:

32093537986_e9531c5279_h.jpg

• Like 13

Want to see those corals back into a happy place..................

I have done the tank transfer and storage and things sometimes just don't come back the way they left.............

Hopefully everything looks good when re homed to the new tank.............

oh and no capt'n ;)

Want to see those corals back into a happy place..................

I have done the tank transfer and storage and things sometimes just don't come back the way they left.............

Hopefully everything looks good when re homed to the new tank.............

oh and no capt'n ;)

The corals that have been in the holding tank have lost color. Some due to too much light, some due to not enough. The landscape has changed. That is for sure. But I moved the Kat and the left side over just yesterday for that reason - to keep them in the holding tank the least amount of time.

• Like 2

The corals that have been in the holding tank have lost color. Some due to too much light, some due to not enough. The landscape has changed. That is for sure. But I moved the Kat and the left side over just yesterday for that reason - to keep them in the holding tank the least amount of time.

Least amount of time ;) clock is ticking..............

I am sure they will be fine but get to it :D

Plus I want to see what you do with this tank.