Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

We got 2 of those green monsters from Kat a year or 2 ago. I've already sold a dozen of them and still have a rock with 10 or so on it. I'm trying to get  some Cinnamon Palys out of Florida.

• Like 2

I always liked rock walls, even when they were "unpopular". What's old is new again ... people say.   As Gina said, all people see are the corals..

I've seen  arrangements by color that , in my opinion, look as good  or more interesting than gravity defying scapes.  Just a thought. Also sad to read about your previous loss, heartbreaking. Good luck on this new one.:flower:

• Like 1
On 1/23/2018 at 6:17 PM, Pinner Reef said:

[Wanders In]

Hello Ketteh!

You butt dialled me.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, TatorTaco said:

Those grandis paylthoas are huge.  Any idea where I could pick some as large as yours? 

Yeah they are massive. I am not sure where to get them, you could try cultivated reef. I got them from a fellow reefer a very long time ago as a single polyp. 

On 1/25/2018 at 6:42 PM, markalot said:

Glad to see colors back to normal Kat.   Thanks for the nice words in the feature thread, much appreciated.  :)

Thanks Mark! And I'm so happy for your TOTM.

On 1/27/2018 at 7:04 AM, Subsea said:

Cat head looking intently in dish made me laugh.  The lion checks it out.  

The tiered steps are neat.  How did you accomplish it?

It's a drop-off tank - it came with the shelf built in.

On 1/27/2018 at 8:44 AM, WV Reefer said:

That pic makes me think of this:

B1BFEFE6-96EF-4EB8-8EAB-55F487ED4DE8.jpeg.2ab84646312bbcef6dd7fd8543c61dd8.jpeg

:)  

ha!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
On 1/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, StinkyBunny said:

We got 2 of those green monsters from Kat a year or 2 ago. I've already sold a dozen of them and still have a rock with 10 or so on it. I'm trying to get  some Cinnamon Palys out of Florida.

I saw one person had blue grandis but they never responded to my messages.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:40 AM, MarieH said:

I always liked rock walls, even when they were "unpopular". What's old is new again ... people say.   As Gina said, all people see are the corals..

I've seen  arrangements by color that , in my opinion, look as good  or more interesting than gravity defying scapes.  Just a thought. Also sad to read about your previous loss, heartbreaking. Good luck on this new one.:flower:

Thanks. I prefer the less is more approach, but I can get carried away.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, metrokat said:

I saw one person had blue grandis but they never responded to my messages.

Thanks, something else to look for on our trip to The Keys, lol. I sent my friend down there an email asking about them. I get $15/pp for those green monsters.

9 hours ago, MarieH said:

Calgon take me away!...or are you too young to remember those commercials LOL :) Carry on reefing.

Kat and I remember that, I think I have her by 10 years or so though.

Edit: I have a new phone number that I'm gonna send you tomorrow.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Thanks, something else to look for on our trip to The Keys, lol. I sent my friend down there an email asking about them. I get $15/pp for those green monsters.

Kat and I remember that, I think I have her by 10 years or so though.

Edit: I have a new phone number that I'm gonna send you tomorrow.

LOL :)

14 hours ago, Sancho said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9517926

Yo! How goes it?

• Like 1

I am needing some aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp. The one guy I still have from my purchase of 4 about 2 years ago is a free loaded. Never shows himself, never does anything useful, just eats my food. 

I need peps that are trained to eat aiptasia. Any suggestions for sources? Thank you

9 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I am needing some aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp. The one guy I still have from my purchase of 4 about 2 years ago is a free loaded. Never shows himself, never does anything useful, just eats my food. 

I need peps that are trained to eat aiptasia. Any suggestions for sources? Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Raise-Train-Your-Peppermint-Shrimp/dp/0966778448

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/getting-perppermint-shrimp-to-eat-aiptasia.85292/

The first link is a booklet I read years ago.  But the lady that wrote the book has a bullwhip on the front cover.

The second link is a blog.  The guy says to starve them to eat Aptasia.   Put shrimp in qt with Aptasia rock.  Do not feed tank, until all Aptasia are gone, then give shrimp a second Aptasia rock.  After his second treatment, put back in display. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grats on the gig! I am enjoying catching up on your thread. Your kitty is adorable, mine likes to walk across my light too..........and the netting and knock the top off.... and basically just be catzilla at times!

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, metrokat said:

Thank you. I was excited for my first presentation! 

any chance the presentation was recorded and will be posted?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 5:43 PM, jbb_00 said:

Im in need of some assistance, I was told the department expert could be found here 

20180313_163853.thumb.jpg.b7ef51ff45890ad2793249e2195a3b5b.jpg

:slap:

On 3/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, itzju said:

any chance the presentation was recorded and will be posted?

Hope you got a chance to see it.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello people of the reef! How is everyone? 

Back from Reef-A-Palooza Orlando - amazing weekend.

It was great to meet everyone , old friends and new.

Met @Steensj2004 for the first time - wanted to eat his baby boy, good thing he didn't bring him to the show. 

Also Happy Birthday @StinkyBunny. :flower:

And I'm ready to move in 4 weeks to a new apartment!! egyptian.gif

Very excited! Debating on a new tank and the choice is between a Reefer 250 or a Reefer 350 - If you have one of these please post your FTS and also a picture of your sump/cabinet please. Thank you.

I'll post my thoughts for the reefer once I have my ideas cemented. 

5acbacb7653e0_ScreenShot2018-04-09at2_10_33PM.thumb.png.35aef9e4ff220d1da302309b76b8d5ad.png5acbacbb92f86_ScreenShot2018-04-09at2_10_25PM.thumb.png.78ae50c6b3b1665e36fde7379aea0431.png5acbacc3b25ca_ScreenShot2018-04-09at2_10_10PM.thumb.png.ebc02f2731e67493e448bd7527640319.png

• Like 8