Pod Your Reef

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

On 10/27/2017 at 4:25 PM, Boggers said:

I am a little Jelly on this one. I would love to set and forget that one.

Very simple. 3 pumps and done. Kit comes with everything you need and ATO is built in.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:11 PM, debbeach13 said:

Will we see a video from you?

On the auto-water change?

On 10/27/2017 at 10:10 PM, LongPig said:

I just got the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro and I was all full of myself. Thanks for humbling me. 

:blush::lol: 

7 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Looks like the only place they're available is direct from Coralvue. Neat idea though.

It was released at MACNA so it's really very new, should be more widely available soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spent some time cleaning up the tank fragging, throwing out the dead stuff. Warning graphic images ahead...... ha.

So this was the Katropora in the glory days.

katropora.jpg.6f12ac6c8036a194ed6fd30f2715b307.jpg

And after my tank crash. The dead branches grew an algae forest.

skeleton3.thumb.jpg.8b6bc3ab2246b5551a48611e8e53fa21.jpg

I fragged what I could, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself at the size of some of these frags, 2 polyps, 3.5 polyps. 

frag1.thumb.jpg.4e087ff357e48d7ca857477b129f5f4f.jpg

I have thrown out a lot of skeletons over the last 2 months but this was yesterday. For reference the Kat skeleton is as big as my palm spread out.

skeleton2.thumb.jpg.2769caa9423863f2a080e7495165d543.jpg

All is not lost. While I lost my mother colony and the back-up grow out colony I had, by some miracle the other colony survived and looks great. The frags I made from the mother colony are plenty and I hope they survive also. 

katminicolony.thumb.jpg.b6a7d10994e0cad3f91ba2d53c5adeaa.jpg

katfrags.thumb.jpg.16f031cef65ffb8edf61a28d8a355b70.jpg

skeleton1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Sorry to see the destruction after the crash. I know the feeling when a colony that’s youve raised for years becomes an algae rack. Luckily I had given a friend a large frag and after my mishap, I was able to get it back. Atleast you gave enough frags to other people and will always be able able to get it back. Good luck with the restoration. 

• Thanks 1

Wow...these photos are so devastating.  I'm glad you're moving forward and that there is hope!  Its nice to see that you have surviving frags and a small colony.

• Thanks 1

I thought it might be fun to see a little video of the actual water change just like magic. I guess it was silly. So sad to see that coral turn to algae farm but you sure did get a lot of frags. I hope the rebirth and growth goes well for you.

• Thanks 1

Sad to see the magnificent Katropora in that state, but you were able to savage what was leftover along with the frag colony. It'll regrow in time.

Now you just gotta ship me a frag so that I can bank it. :P

• Thanks 1

Moar graphic images! 

This huge rock was the crowning glory in my previous 2 tanks. Corals had been growing on it since Dec 2011. Over time I added more, sometimes removed some. This picture shows the size when I moved it in Nov 2014 from the RSM to the CADlights. 

bigrock3.thumb.jpg.d018d8ade1ed5eb237e752dfeb2b45c1.jpg

The slimer and Katropora became so huge that I took them off the rock and they became their own stand alone colonies eventually. The rest of the corals were Jason Fox Setosa, Tyree Pink Lemonade, Veng LE Cali Tort, Jason Fox Rainbow Montipora, Sunset Montipora, ORA spongodes, all colonies that had been growing for years.

bigrock2.thumb.jpg.ea61ccd940107c4fc86fde3f168d7bb1.jpg

bigrock.thumb.jpg.8d95e960c221f1faa6f31adae0059fba.jpg

I managed to break off the Setosa and it came with the Spongodes. I lost everything else. (Kittiyagi in the back there)

rsz_setosa.thumb.jpg.885e2844e60b365b2236704645d0acbd.jpg

• Sad 9
7 hours ago, Arce said:

Sorry to see the losses, I feel your pain, my tank is still a mess. Its been awhile, hope all is well otherwise.

Things can only get better is what I always say. What's going on with your tank now? Text me some pics.

7 hours ago, Veng said:

Always remember the upside in things, now you've got of space for more corals!

Ha. So I thought to hell with a thoughtful aquascape. I'm going to do the rock wall look, minus the rockwall.

1.jpg.c78fe0479fa6519bace7edb815177c9e.jpg

• Like 11
4 hours ago, metrokat said:

Things can only get better is what I always say. What's going on with your tank now? Text me some pics.

Three fish, a clam, rocks and a lot of slime algae and crap. Not even worth sending a pic. I gave up on the tank but can’t let myself take it down despite my zero interest in it anymore.

18 hours ago, metrokat said:

Ha. So I thought to hell with a thoughtful aquascape. I'm going to do the rock wall look, minus the rockwall.

1.jpg.c78fe0479fa6519bace7edb815177c9e.jpg

Thoughtful aquascapes are fine, but I'm with you on going with the rockwall look.  1. it's easy.  2. in the end, all anyone cares about, and sees, is the coral :D.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was cruising around Facebook looking at tanks in Europe, they seem to be quite fond of making live rock walls, looks damn cool. Reef Company Bvba in Belgium has some really awesome livestock and tanks. The Fiji slab rock is great for doing just that.

• Like 1

Calleighpoo.thumb.jpg.77e01c19c54e9dc0c05dd93f7b043b6e.jpg

She has tried twice to jump UP onto the tank. And she has gone behind the cabinet about 10 times already, 3 times yesterday. I'm trying everything I can to block her access. The wires back there are dangerous and I can't reach her unless she decides to come to the edges. It's worrisome. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I am so damn happy that a piece of the Katropora survived.  Devastation sucks, sorry you had to go through it, but growing them from tiny to big is a lot of fun too.  :)   

I'm a wall fan, wall of acros.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...