Cultivated Reef

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

8 hours ago, gena said:

My boys have all been angels :D.  I do lots of research before bringing any plants in.  It can be done safely.  It's just more of a challenge when you have cats!!!!

Succulents. That is what I have now and one spider plant. Are those safe?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gena said:

Anyways....public service announcement for plant and cat lovers  :D.

My silly boy cat likes to chew on philodendron leaves. They are supposedly poisonous to cats, though he's never had a visible reaction. I try to keep them out of reach now!! 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, metrokat said:

Succulents. That is what I have now and one spider plant. Are those safe?

Spider plants are an excellent choice.  Although cats LOVE them LOL.  Succulents, it depends on which ones.  If you know the names of them just google to double check.  I remember in my research that some weren't ok.  But again, not as deadly as a lily.  Like Kim said, her cat munches on philodendron which is technically poisonous.  But in most cats it just induces vomiting and irritates the mouth.  Not deadly.  Unless they consume a LOT.  I keep philodendron in hanging pots which are not accessible to the cats.

• Like 3

Hey Kitty,

Im really happy to see you were able to find love again.  Not only for another cat but to keep your reef running despite all the hardships. Remember the best is yet to come...:happy:

Always forward,Forward Always 

-E

• Like 2
On 10/20/2017 at 10:54 AM, StinkyBunny said:

QqnBTk8.jpg

Ya. I got Calleigh 2 beds, she prefers the boxes they came in. /facepalm

16 hours ago, Rehype said:

Hey Kitty,

Im really happy to see you were able to find love again.  Not only for another cat but to keep your reef running despite all the hardships. Remember the best is yet to come...:happy:

Always forward,Forward Always 

-E

I miss you E. I'll catch up on your thread - hope you and the family are well. 

• Haha 2

came to look at a reef tank and all i got was a buncha cat pics. :wub: 

The new girl is cute, also love those little succulent houses. 

now onward with some tank pics?  what's been happening with it?  :D

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

came to look at a reef tank and all i got was a buncha cat pics. :wub: 

The new girl is cute, also love those little succulent houses. 

now onward with some tank pics?  what's been happening with it?  :D

It has been recovering after the crash. I've let it do it's thing and now I have a bit of an algae jungle. The good news is that the corals that survived colored back up and are growing so that is wonderful. I've planned to work on the tank this week to get back to order. I'll post an update with pictures soon. Thank you for checking in.

• Like 5

Ugh it feels weird being back here! When did your tank crash? How many cats are bumbling around your house waiting to eat you if you die? Remember, when they're watching you, they're trying to gauge how long the food will last.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

It has been recovering after the crash. I've let it do it's thing and now I have a bit of an algae jungle. The good news is that the corals that survived colored back up and are growing so that is wonderful. I've planned to work on the tank this week to get back to order. I'll post an update with pictures soon. Thank you for checking in.

I'll loan you my herd of Rabbitfish, they can tame the wildest of algae jungles. :D

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LongPig said:

Ugh it feels weird being back here! When did your tank crash? How many cats are bumbling around your house waiting to eat you if you die? Remember, when they're watching you, they're trying to gauge how long the food will last.

Tank crashed about a month and a half ago. Sad. Remember I texted you when Bogi died? That tattoo I sent you a picture of was for him. 

I fostered 3 kittens to attempt to heal and adopted one of the little ones, but happily the 2 boys are in their forever home also. I actually got a chance to see them tonight! 

3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I'll loan you my herd of Rabbitfish, they can tame the wildest of algae jungles. :D

Ha. I have a foxface and between him, the tang, emerald crabs and the lawnmower - they all nibble at the algae but not enough to make a dent.

• Like 3

Spent more time than I care to admit to catching up on this thread.  What a roller coaster of emotions regarding the crash, Bogi, and then the kittens.  Good to read that things are on the up-and-up for you.  

Is the lease up in December?  Made any progress finding a new place yet? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Spent more time than I care to admit to catching up on this thread.  What a roller coaster of emotions regarding the crash, Bogi, and then the kittens.  Good to read that things are on the up-and-up for you.  

Is the lease up in December?  Made any progress finding a new place yet? 

Aww, thanks. Yep, lots of emotions. Thanks for reading through all of that.

I walked away from 2 leases for one reason or another. I was pretty set on moving into the 2nd one but the leasing agent checked permission for a 30g and I have a 50. A 50 was not allowed. It was very frustrating, considering I went through this SAME problem last year when I was searching for an apartment. I decided to ask my current landlord for a 6 month extension and I am lucky that she agreed. At this point I am considering buying an apartment and looking into that. I love the area I live in.

1 hour ago, markalot said:

So you did adopt one, very glad to hear it.  :) 

:blush: She wormed her way into my heart. 

• Like 6

Welcome to the bad foster parents club Kat, we welcome everyone. These 2 were supposed to be fosters, Charlie the boxer left us 11 years later, Benny 14 years later. I dunno how people give them up.

hvdWga5.jpg

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Welcome to the bad foster parents club Kat, we welcome everyone. These 2 were supposed to be fosters, Charlie the boxer left us 11 years later, Benny 14 years later. I dunno how people give them up.

I don't know either. At the shelter they have signs on so many animals that say "surrendered" it just breaks my heart. Like try to find them a home or something instead of just abandoning them for life in a cage. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I don't know either. At the shelter they have signs on so many animals that say "surrendered" it just breaks my heart. Like try to find them a home or something instead of just abandoning them for life in a cage. 

I will admit I have brought animals home from the shelter and had to return them due to the dynamics of our home. With 2 dogs, 4 cats, 2 Guinea pigs, and fish at times the personalities just don't work.

If we were to ever get down low enough to attempt to foster they would not likely leave however.

• Like 3